Atlantic Watches... Anything?

AntFarm
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Atlantic Watches... Anything?

Post by AntFarm » June 25th 2020, 9:21am

Anyone own or know anything about Atlantic Watches? I've heard of them and I've seen them around but I don't know much about them. I tried the search and came up with 14 pages of nothing. I saw one on WUS today that I liked and I started looking around at the site and such. Found this which I liked but didn't know if it is worth it or not. I'm also not sure if I like the date. I think it would be better without it. I didn't see this one on the main website so it may be an old model. Any input, positive or negative would be appreciated.

https://www.watchmann.com/proddetail.ph ... 752-41-45R
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Atlantic Watches... Anything?

Post by bbattle » June 25th 2020, 9:31am

here's a link to their men's Worldmaster collection: https://www.atlantic-watches.ch/en/gents/worldmaster/

They have a lot of watches on their site. Most of the ones I looked at had Ronda quartz movements.

But this one has the ETA 2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal, 645 Swiss francs.

not bad.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » June 25th 2020, 11:55am

I have this, got it from foggy.

They have a good vintage history, I don’t see much new stuff around. Mass drop used to sell new ones, but they haven’t in a while.

It’s a good watch brand, good quality.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Bahoomba » June 25th 2020, 6:01pm

Here's an older one. I picked this up for like $100 bucks pre-owned. Still runs perfectly, packs a 2824, see through caseback, rock solid build. I enjoy strapping this one on every now and again.

Rule 1,493: Never photograph a watch on a wrist. On a lovely rock in a pond or a parapet, certainly - but never on a wrist.
- Chapter Seven, The Bazinga! Way To Become A Blogger Billionaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 26th 2020, 8:09pm

kevco wrote:
June 25th 2020, 10:51am
It seems I remember doing some research on this brand a few years ago.
I think they are more prevalent in Europe-Baltic region. Maybe Bloke could tell us.
I believe I have already told the story in a number of threads. The brand was formed by Eduard Kummer’s Ebauches Bettlach, sometime in the 1930s. At the beginning of the 1950s, they made the Eastern Bloc - and especially Poland - their main focus. They were one of the few Swiss brands in official distribution. And so, it’s the average Pole’s household brand of watches. Most of the better (read: with stainless steel cases) stuff was still sold in the West, though. They did a good job finishing generic movements, which just had to have a minimum of two adjustments. They claim to have invented the date quickset via crown, although that needs to yet be verified.
The current Atlantics have me a bit underwhelmed, especially the autos and hand-crankers. Case finishing - good, dial finishing’s good. The movements are OK, but at the MSRPs, an ETA 2801 with the industrial sort of finishing just looks out of place.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » Yesterday, 7:31am

Just picked this one up for $20. Cracked crystal, but apparently running well. We'll see when it arrives. (Scroll down) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ATLANTIC- ... 7675.l2557
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » Yesterday, 8:11am

Falstaff wrote:
Yesterday, 7:31am
Just picked this one up for $20. Cracked crystal, but apparently running well. We'll see when it arrives. (Scroll down) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ATLANTIC- ... 7675.l2557
$20?! original strap, even- what'a cool catch.
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 10th 2020, 6:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Post by AntFarm » Yesterday, 11:37am

That's a pretty cool find. I haven't committed to a new Atlantic yet because I started looking at this...

https://reverb.com/item/16418564-late-2 ... r-acoustic

The place is in Kentucky / Ohio and I'm trying to get him to send me a video of the guitar being played before I make an offer. Also asked how he is dating it considering there are no badges or identifiers anywhere. For now I have enough watches but definitely not enough guitars.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » Yesterday, 12:09pm

AntFarm wrote:
Yesterday, 11:37am
That's a pretty cool find. I haven't committed to a new Atlantic yet because I started looking at this...

https://reverb.com/item/16418564-late-2 ... r-acoustic

The place is in Kentucky / Ohio and I'm trying to get him to send me a video of the guitar being played before I make an offer. Also asked how he is dating it considering there are no badges or identifiers anywhere. For now I have enough watches but definitely not enough guitars.

Wow - I'm used to seeing rare and vintage Martin, Gibson or Fender pieces with substantial price tags, but to see that a no name model can command this kind of money is mind-blowing - but then I'm not a guitar guy. Clearly you know the difference between a "no" and a "go". Best of luck!
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors

Return to “General Watch talk”