How Green is My Watch?

koimaster
Founder

How Green is My Watch?

Post by koimaster » June 22nd 2020, 11:40pm

First, the good news: when you buy a high-quality mechanical wristwatch, you are also investing in a sustainable product. Longevity is one of the paramount virtues of traditional watchmaking, which has never had quick consumption in mind, but has always aimed at achieving enduring quality that ideally would last for generations. This thought is aptly expressed by Patek Philippe’s memorable slogan: “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation.” Beyond a doubt, there’s more to this statement than merely a clever marketing idea. A glance at the catalogs of the big auction houses reveals the long life cycles that high-quality watches can claim for themselves. Nearly everybody knows somebody who proudly wears the still flawlessly functioning mechanical wristwatch that once belonged to their grandfather, father or uncle.

Does this mean that everything is literally “in the green sector” when it comes to mechanical watches? It would be nice to think so. But controversial discussions about ecological and humanitarian abuses in the gold-mining industry prove that not everything that is golden is good. There’s also the issue of the ecological footprints left behind by the watch industry’s daily work. Watch brands must take a stand on these and similar concerns. One thing is certain: in times of increasing demand for fair and ecologically responsible products, customers are setting high standards. And those standards are especially high for companies in the luxury industry. After all, desirable objects such as high-quality watches are not essential goods that are needed for survival, but luxury items that ought to add pleasure to life. And the consumer nowadays has the certainty of not harming other people or the environment – and thus future generations – with his purchase.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/how- ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: How Green is My Watch?

Post by bbattle » June 23rd 2020, 6:14pm

For those that want to really go green with their timekeeping; draw a sundial on a piece of paper but be sure to look up your latitude so you construct the "arrow" or "shade thrower" correctly for your location.

then, when you want to know the time, simply go outside on a sunny day and hold up your paper sundial, being sure to face north, and read the time.

Easy Peasy!

The only thing more green than that is to draw your sundial in the dirt and position a stick at the right angle for your latitude to get the proper shadow. Finding a patch of dirt might be difficult and your neighbor is surely tired of you digging up his lawn so you can check the time.

I'd rather get a watch that says "eco" or "solar" on the dial so I can be nice and smug as I tell everyone around me what time it is. :-)

Return to “General Watch talk”