Brown is the New Black

koimaster
Founder

Brown is the New Black

Post by koimaster » June 19th 2020, 7:31pm

There’s a reason why timepieces with brown dials haven’t developed as a universal offering from watch brands in the same way other colorways have. The popular blue and green looks that we’ve seen proliferate over the past few years are able to offer a lively interpretation of time with their attractive and vibrant hues. Black and white, on the other hand, rely on a more traditional achromatic design that can be dressed up or down with ease. Brown, somewhere in the middle of all these more flexible options, is dependent on its subdued, warm tone to stand out and requires some extra effort to match with an outfit.

However, this also stands for why brown-dialed watches are so unique and, slowly but surely, we’re starting to see the gradual growth of this field among watch enthusiasts of all levels. Here is our list of five watches from the past few years that use chocolate-colored dials so sumptuous you might find yourself wanting to take a bite. This list is just a starting point in the growing fascination with brown dials and is not meant to be comprehensive. Other recent offerings such as the Patek Philippe Calatrava Pilot Travel Time Ref. 5524R, Rado Captain Cook 37 mm, Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Panerai Luminor 8 Days Power Reserve Titanio (PAM00797), Hublot Classic Fusion Berluti, and a number of F.P. Journe Octa Automatique models in Havana Brown all make compelling arguments for being the first brown dial watch to join a collection.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/brow ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Brown is the New Black

Post by conjurer » June 19th 2020, 11:18pm

Let's not forget Havana Tobacco Brown, which Rich Kalina invented for Jean Marcel wartchs ("Remember, when you buy a Jean Marcel, you have a friend in the wartche bidness!") during his rare sojourns from the iron lung.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by AlbertaTime » June 20th 2020, 12:36am

bobbee wrote:
June 19th 2020, 9:46pm
That is a great watch AT, here is one I wish I had kept, a 1978 DS4.
Understood.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » June 20th 2020, 3:17am

Backstory: I originally purchased a watch just like this in NYC in 1979 while there for sales training for my first job after college. Bought it in Times Square. Got married in 1982, and was wearing it that day. In 1984, our house in Jacksonville, FL was burglarized and it was stolen. I bought this one about 10 years ago, had it restored mechanically and they also did a light cosmetic redo.
Randy in Nashville
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » June 20th 2020, 5:44am

Svaglic has a very nice Seiko brown dial(the Irish Coffee Presage?) that is very nice looking..
mine are:
CW C65 Trident Bronze Ombre(14of500)(1).JPG
Seiko 6138-8030 chrono '06'76(1).JPG
Hamilton Khaki Chrono brwndial(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
constant change

Post by constant change » June 20th 2020, 7:29am

My biggest watch related regret is selling an Oris Dizzy Gillespie. It’s probably a love it or hate it watch, but I fall in the love it column. Plus, the engraved image of Dizzy Gillespie on the caseback is a nice bonus! Now I’m hunting a brown dial.
A6724173-FD7A-41CE-9422-8E67ADF55D97.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » June 20th 2020, 3:20pm

constant change wrote:
June 20th 2020, 7:29am
My biggest watch related regret is selling an Oris Dizzy Gillespie. It’s probably a love it or hate it watch, but I fall in the love it column. Plus, the engraved image of Dizzy Gillespie on the caseback is a nice bonus! Now I’m hunting a brown dial.

Temerity might have an example of this baby..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » June 20th 2020, 3:33pm

constant change wrote:

For you; as a blues musician, one of my all-time favorites:

WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
constant change

Post by constant change » June 21st 2020, 5:12am

You didn’t happen to buy that on one of the forums, did you? Man I miss mine.

TemerityB wrote:
June 20th 2020, 3:33pm
constant change wrote:

For you; as a blues musician, one of my all-time favorites:

Return to “General Watch talk”