Are watches really a good investment?

koimaster
Founder

Are watches really a good investment?

Post by koimaster » June 10th 2020, 11:59am

People make personal connections with watches that few other products can match. We use watches every single day. They are functional, can make a fashion statement, and often have an emotional value that draws in their owners. Those elements combined are what make wearing a watch such a pleasure.

Obviously, the amount of money you invest will also contribute to your feelings about your timepiece, but what if we take away the emotional aspect for a minute and focus purely on the money? People are constantly looking for different ways to invest their hard-earned cash. Are watches a good investment? What about in times of economic uncertainty?

It’s not a simple yes or no answer. Let’s take a quick look at different types of watch investments and what they would mean for you as a buyer.

https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/are-w ... t-p_30657/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Are watches really a good investment?

Post by Hawk » June 12th 2020, 5:44am

smellody wrote:
June 11th 2020, 10:43pm
Good for me.

Haven't gone wrong yet.

I recently invested a few quid in some vintage, vintage pieces that should pay off when I turn to dust. I doubt they will go down in value.
That does work but if the observation were to be made in front of the general public (or 99% of WIS) it should come with a disclaimer:

"The purchasing behavior being shown is being performed by professional Rolex experts under controlled conditions. Under no circumstances should this be tried at home."

When attempts are made to emulate the investment success by a normal human it too often results in a vintage Submariner look-alike with a SeaGull cull movement and a winding mechanism that feels like a coffee grinder resulting in a total loss of the initial investment.

About the only safe way to purchase a vintage Rolex is to buy it from a Rolex expert at which point it is no longer a bargain because the owner knows the value and will profit handsomely from the exchange.

It's like hunting for pottery in a minefield.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee

Return to “General Watch talk”