$2.4 Million Rolex Looting

koimaster
Founder

$2.4 Million Rolex Looting

Post by koimaster » June 5th 2020, 9:15am

Big story that made the rounds on forums and FB never happened.

On Monday, at 3 a.m., a Rolex store in downtown Manhattan was ransacked. The glass windows were smashed in, a vitrine built to elegantly display the world’s finest watches was shattered, and $2.4 million of merchandise was reportedly stolen. Two suspects were detained with stolen merchandise. In the process of making an arrest, a male officer fell through a glass door and tumbled down the stairs. A police officer shared his harrowing description of the aftermath: “The Rolex store is empty. They stole like $2.4 million in Rolexes.”

Or so went the version of events reported in The New York Post on Monday night.

https://www-gq-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v ... true-story

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: $2.4 Million Rolex Looting

Post by conjurer » June 5th 2020, 10:55am

3Flushes wrote:
June 5th 2020, 10:41am
Son of a bitch- I was #4140 on the waiting list.
No Submariner for you, motherfucker. Some skinhead's driving back to Montana with yours on his wrist.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 5th 2020, 11:20am

There usually isn't an awful lot of watches in any Rolex store, so the worth of this loot tells you just how overpriced they are. Just like the snacks in theatres, no less.

Reminds me of this joke: "Unidentified burglars have robbed a downtown cinema. The owner estimates the losses at 10 000 USD. The perpetrators took two medium buckets of popcorn and a large Coke."
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » June 5th 2020, 11:51am

Why am I remembering Lalo's donation to the troops at a time like this?

Gotta wonder if that total was based on actual MSRP or the street value of steel GMT masters.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » June 5th 2020, 4:38pm

Good lord.

You know what people can steal if they break the window of a big NYC brand boutique ... or any watch store of note?

Displays.

1. They take all the watches out of the cases, every night. These stores, in particular, are barren because they've all been closed for three months.

2. They have a safe in there somewhere about the size of Rhode Island that it would take hours to blow up, if only.

And yet, somehow, "$2.4 million worth of Rolex watches were stolen."

It's either the usual cowboy hubris of the NYC Police Dept., or someone made something up at the fucking yellow New York Post, which as never found a story large or small that it couldn't exploit. This whole fucking city is lunacy right now.

Again, good lord.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 5th 2020, 6:07pm

TemerityB wrote:
June 5th 2020, 4:38pm
Good lord.

You know what people can steal if they break the window of a big NYC brand boutique ... or any watch store of note?

Displays.

1. They take all the watches out of the cases, every night. These stores, in particular, are barren because they've all been closed for three months.

2. They have a safe in there somewhere about the size of Rhode Island that it would take hours to blow up, if only.

And yet, somehow, "$2.4 million worth of Rolex watches were stolen."

It's either the usual cowboy hubris of the NYC Police Dept., or someone made something up at the fucking yellow New York Post, which as never found a story large or small that it couldn't exploit. This whole fucking city is lunacy right now.

Again, good lord.
Indeed, most retail chains have a limit on the value of what is left on display when the store is closed for the night. Which is usually dictated by the conditions of property insurance.
Rolex retailers usually remove all the wares into safe storage.
For a prolonged lockdown, all the wares are removed into storage in a safe.

So, either this was a lampoon of a store, the story’s chock-full of shit, or it wasn’t robbed by looters. Looters don’t generally have safecrackers among them, they just barge in and grab as much as they can carry. If the wares are secured, all they can do is smash the glass, knock over the bins like raccoons, and perhaps spray-paint an internationally recognizable pictogram of a cock on the wall.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » June 6th 2020, 6:52am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
June 5th 2020, 11:20am
There usually isn't an awful lot of watches in any Rolex store, so the worth of this loot tells you just how overpriced they are. Just like the snacks in theatres, no less.

Reminds me of this joke: "Unidentified burglars have robbed a downtown cinema. The owner estimates the losses at 10 000 USD. The perpetrators took two medium buckets of popcorn and a large Coke."
Shit's gotten so expensive, they keep it in glass showcases like jewelry- 'may I show you something in a Milk Dud, sir? Jordan Almonds? Ohh, I don't think those are in you and your Inviters' your price range, are they, sir? How 'bout some Gems and a courtesy cup of water, ehh?'
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.

Return to “General Watch talk”