WATCHES ON THE SCREEN: JAWS

koimaster
Founder

WATCHES ON THE SCREEN: JAWS

Post by koimaster » June 4th 2020, 10:06pm

The biggest mystery of Jaws was not how to capture and kill the shark, but rather what watch was Richard Dreyfuss wearing while they were trying to do so? For a long time there have been theories and discussions as to the brand, analysis of the markers, dial, case shape and bracelet. Brand names like Omega, Zodicac, Clebar and Seiko were tossed around, but in the end none of them were right. The watch remained a mystery up until early 2010 when finally, through years of research, DVD screen captures and Google and eBay searches the answer was found by two very patient and diligent brothers, Gary and Christan Stock.
A146A506-AA98-474E-991D-3F002652D547.jpeg
5150D76C-3B27-44BE-A07C-3002B54E1871.jpeg
From their own measurements of the watch and hours starring at its features a match was finally spotted in an eBay auction.

After dropping $100 for the watch and getting into their hands it was confirmed: the Hooper Jaws watch was an Alsta Nautoscaph. Looking at the watch the brothers purchased it is clear that it is the right case, dial, hands and crown, everything matches. Not much is know of the brand itself, but it does contain a Valjoux 2452 Swiss movement inside and was state of the art in water resistance technology for the time. All in all it seems a very fitting watch for the role:

an oceanographer would need a water resistant watch that was functional and legible and this would fit the bill. I suspect that it was probably also affordable for the time.

https://wornandwound.com/watches-on-the-screen-jaws/

https://www.alstawatch.com/?fbclid=IwAR ... hC4YWv4llE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: WATCHES ON THE SCREEN: JAWS

Post by MAX » June 5th 2020, 4:33am

Thats nice, Id wear one. Better looking then a lot of modern offerings. Dont like metal bracelets with holes though. The new ones changed that.

I recently spotted this in a lousy movie about astronauts not divers. Fitting choice I guess.

Speedmaster x-33 titanium
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Giclee1dotcom]

Post by Giclee1dotcom] » June 23rd 2020, 8:19am

Just went to their web site to check it out because I like the watch and it's association with one of my favorite movies but at 1k USD for a NH35 movement I'll pass. Put a 6r35 in there for the same price and I'd probably go for it.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » June 23rd 2020, 6:34pm

Where the hell did some property master come up with that freakin' watch; why, that watch must be from the watch department at central casting. I wonder if they included the watch and the ring and the walkie free with the guy they sent to play Hooper or if ya gotta pay xtra for that shit?
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.

Return to “General Watch talk”