The Watch That (Sort Of) Climbed Everest

Smiths, Speedbird, Precista
koimaster
Founder

Re: The Watch That (Sort Of) Climbed Everest

Post by koimaster » May 24th 2020, 12:39am

3Flushes wrote:
May 23rd 2020, 6:32pm
I'm not going to watch the video to find out, but I have to believe that if that watch got to the top of Everest, someone flew it there and dropped it on the summit.
https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/mount-everest-watches/

https://www.everestbands.com/blogs/beze ... mt-everest

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bedlam » May 24th 2020, 12:52am

A boffin on TZ-UK did an utterly exhaustive study on this and arrived at categoric evidence.

The Smiths Everest did go to the top on the Hilary expedition. The since much celebrated and heavily marketed Rolex Explorer did not.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
bobbee
Master of Time

Post by bobbee » May 24th 2020, 1:09am

3Flushes wrote:
I'm not going to watch the video to find out, but I have to believe that if that watch got to the top of Everest, someone flew it there and dropped it on the summit.
Ouch... :mrgreen:
This letter appeared in the August 1953 issue of The Horological Journal, published by the British Horological Institute.
It was in the 'letters' page sent by public readers:

Smiths claim that every member of the British Mount Everest Expedition was equipped with one of their watches. We also are aware that the Rolex Watch Co. claim that Colonel Hunt, Mr. Hillary and Sherpa Tensing wore Rolex Perpetual Oysters. Are we to presume that at least three members of the expedition wore one watch on each wrist?"

This letter (actual screenshot from The Journal) appears in reply to the above. It comes from Smiths' Director and general manager in the September 1953 issue:

And this is the reply from the Rolex GB director in the October 1953 issue, in reply to the Smiths September letter, in which he fully acquiesced that Smiths were first to the top.

ImageImage

This has all been posted in Wikipedia, The Rolex Forum, MWR military forum, and TZ-UK forum
All credit goes to Broussard, M4tt and Rev-O from TZ-UK.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 24th 2020, 7:04am

Perhaps to the disdain of some, I actually don’t hate that watch. Hell, I’d love to have the beige dial version.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 24th 2020, 8:09am

Quite apart from the argument over which brand made it to the top of Everest, I owned a Smiths Everest for a very short time. It was a piece of shit. Supposedly an homage of a Rolex Explorer, it was anything but. It was too big, the proportions were fucked up, the finishing was poor, the timekeeping was terrible. Overall, it felt cheap and reminded me of those Croton Rollie Day/Dates that were 45mm across.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » May 24th 2020, 11:32am

bobbee wrote:
May 24th 2020, 1:09am
3Flushes wrote:
Ouch... :mrgreen:
This letter appeared in the August 1953 issue of The Horological Journal, published by the British Horological Institute.
It was in the 'letters' page sent by public readers:

Smiths claim that every member of the British Mount Everest Expedition was equipped with one of their watches. We also are aware that the Rolex Watch Co. claim that Colonel Hunt, Mr. Hillary and Sherpa Tensing wore Rolex Perpetual Oysters. Are we to presume that at least three members of the expedition wore one watch on each wrist?"

This letter (actual screenshot from The Journal) appears in reply to the above. It comes from Smiths' Director and general manager in the September 1953 issue:

And this is the reply from the Rolex GB director in the October 1953 issue, in reply to the Smiths September letter, in which he fully acquiesced that Smiths were first to the top.

ImageImage

This has all been posted in Wikipedia, The Rolex Forum, MWR military forum, and TZ-UK forum
All credit goes to Broussard, M4tt and Rev-O from TZ-UK.
koimaster wrote:
May 24th 2020, 12:39am
3Flushes wrote:
https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/mount-everest-watches/

https://www.everestbands.com/blogs/beze ... mt-everest

I really thought it was an horological urban legend. I stand corrected.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner

Return to “Smiths”