Case size (44+)

Cnymetalguy
Facebook ID: 0

Case size (44+)

Post by Cnymetalguy » May 5th 2020, 7:28pm

Do any "good" watch manufacturers make larger case watches? I have big forearms, wrists, and hands and because of this i like to wear a watch that's 50mm - 54mm. Anything smaller and it looks (to my eye) like a child or females watch. That is why i gravitated towards Invicta. They make a larger faced watch without it being "blingy". I was looking to expand my watch collection but have found a lot of manufacturers don't go that high. Tudor for example only goes as large as 45.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Case size (44+)

Post by conjurer » May 5th 2020, 11:46pm

Welcome, goddamn it!

I myself know of few, if any, watches that are that big. I believe Laco made some for the Luftwaffe to drop firebombs on Coventry, but that's probably not for the best.

In terms of 50mm watches versus something not absurd, like, 42mm, it is all a question of proportion. I personally can't wear anything bigger than 44mm, and likely much less, because I don't have forearms like Popeye. For many years I wore a 34mm Rolex Air-King, and didn't think that was too big, or too small. It was simply a watch.

Today I wear either a 40mm Rolex Explorer II, or a 42mm Seiko SKX007, and both feel fine, because I'm used to them.

Take from this what you will.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » May 6th 2020, 12:09am

A giant friend of mine (7 feet or so) wears a 35mm Rolex Datejust, with pride. Of course he wouldn't give a damn about anyone's opinion even if he would be wearing a true ladies watch with pink diamonds. I have also myself the experience that it is simply a matter of getting used. Right now I am wearing a 36mm Enicar Sherpa. I am just as happy with my 42mm Speedmaster. But I sold a 44mm Enicar Guide, I could not get used to the size.
Anyways, to call watches below 40mm "child or ladies size" is just as idiotic as calling 44mm and bigger tuna cans. We are currently discussing the same topic at forum.watchtime.ch, and it was pointed out once more that the form and size of the lugs are probably more important than the diameter.
Anyways, I would suggest to get one of these. :mrgreen:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » May 6th 2020, 5:32am

Take a look at Maranez watches. Ive had good luck with them but most are waaaay too big for me.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » May 6th 2020, 9:46am

in all seriousness, here are some big watches that i own/owned and are from reputable brands. I'm a big guy myself and some of these look big on me.

51mm
Garming Fenix 5s

48mm

Zenith Type 20

47mm

IWC Big Pilot

Panerai Submersible

Panerai Luminor

Halios Puck

45mm

Zenith Type 20 Bronze

Orient Saturation Diver

Blancpain FF

44mm

Grand Seiko Diver

Breitling Chronomat

43mm

Rolex Seadweller
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 6th 2020, 10:53am

I too have 8" wrists and I enjoy wearing this Glycine Kriegsmarine model at 48mm every now and again - https://www.amazon.com/Glycine-Kriegs-M ... B01DOG4ABQ
I don't feel that it is out of proportion, but it is the largest wristwatch I've ever owned and I won't be buying anything else that large. I'm generally happy around 36 - 42mm, although I happily wear some vintage pieces as small as 30mm.
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 6th 2020, 12:14pm

codguy wrote:
May 5th 2020, 8:18pm
Cnymetalguy wrote:
May 5th 2020, 7:28pm
i like to wear a watch that's 50mm - 54mm. That is why i gravitated towards Invicta.

50-54mm? Invicta?

Clownish
Amen.

As for good companies making monstrous watches... Some years ago, Omega made the Railmaster XXL, with a Unitas-based movement inside. At 49mm, it was a fucking saucer, but a good-looking saucer. I believe IWC also made a Big Pilot in the size of the original B-Uhr, 55mm. Laco also makes their B-Uhr reissues in 55mm, but given that they're priced at 4-5K USD, not really worth the money - plain Unitas inside. Steinhart has a decent selection of 47mm "fliegers," far more reasonably priced.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
Darksider
Founder

Post by Darksider » May 6th 2020, 12:25pm

Falstaff wrote:
May 6th 2020, 10:53am
I too have 8" wrists and I enjoy wearing this Glycine Kriegsmarine model at 48mm every now and again - https://www.amazon.com/Glycine-Kriegs-M ... B01DOG4ABQ
I don't feel that it is out of proportion, but it is the largest wristwatch I've ever owned and I won't be buying anything else that large. I'm generally happy around 36 - 42mm, although I happily wear some vintage pieces as small as 30mm.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1181052122

"wound up halfway under a slab of cement in the Pentagon on 9/11. 17 surgeries over a 28-month period"
Iraq - "And don't you dare tell me it's bullshit; I was there, (Iraq) and I know what I saw.)"
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 6th 2020, 12:29pm

Or, you could buy a Casio Gee Rangeman, which is 54mm, but, unlike most over 50mm wartchs, doesn't make you look like you just got released from a mental hospital because your insurance ran out.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
bbattle

Post by bbattle » May 6th 2020, 5:32pm

My wrists come in at 7.5 inches but the biggest watch I have is 45mm. And that feels a bit too big.

The lug to lug measurement is the real determiner; if that is too long, the watch won't feel comfortable for anyone.

When I put on a watch, I plan to wear it all day. If it's not comfortable, I'm not going to wear it, no matter how cool it may be. Sometimes, it just needs a change of strap. But again, if the lug to lug distance is too great, and especially if the watch has a domed caseback, it just won't work.

Return to “General Watch talk”