In defence of obvious watches

koimaster
Founder

In defence of obvious watches

Post by koimaster » May 5th 2020, 1:49pm

I still get lost in the details of the Rolex Submariner that was my first serious watch. The proportions of its features seem divinely inspired, everything ideally sized and placed. Its glossy black dial is startling to look at, somehow bottled essence of the pure void. When I put it on, the oyster bracelet, in that tantalising 904L steel, seems simultaneously both lush jewellery and hardy tool watch. It has been in the ocean, on the ski slopes and in the boardroom.

It’s also an obvious watch.

You’ve seen it on the wrist of hundreds of people. Some might appreciate its place in watch history. Some may not. It’s at watch meet-ups, private airport lounges, and fakes are at every other holiday market stall. Most laypeople would recognise it before almost any other high-end timepiece.

But my message to watch lovers everywhere is simple: don’t be afraid to love obvious watches.

Seamasters, Datejusts, Monacos – these, and many others, are classics for a reason. They are aesthetically elevated above lesser watches, many of which fail as mere copies.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/in-defen ... ubmariner/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: In defence of obvious watches

Post by bbattle » May 5th 2020, 2:34pm

As with everything, there's an asymptotic line of diminishing returns. At first, a doubling of the money spent will get you a big improvement but the increments get smaller and smaller as the dollar amount grows larger and larger.

We all have our different points on the curve that we won't (or say we won't) cross. And that point may well change as our appreciation grows or our knowledge grows.

I'm slowly coming to appreciate the more expensive watches for the pieces of art they are, even as I know I most likely won't ever buy one.

I've got nice cookware, kitchen knives, paintings, art glass, and the most expensive clothing I have is for when I ride my carbon fiber bicycle. I worked my way up the curve on all these things but haven't gotten too far with watches. (I admit to owning Timex quartz watches and watches with Snoopy on the dial)
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 5th 2020, 3:25pm

Call 'em obvious, classic or iconic. They are all the definitive watches of their categories. Submariner, Daytona, SpeedPro, SeaPro, Monaco, that single dot on the Movado Museum and some few others - all of them are recognized and desired the world around.
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 5th 2020, 5:24pm

But my message to watch lovers everywhere is simple: don’t be afraid to love obvious watches.

The fuck is this shit? I need some pinhead to fucking tell me this? Fuck off!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » May 5th 2020, 5:55pm

Falstaff wrote:
May 5th 2020, 3:25pm
Call 'em obvious, classic or iconic. They are all the definitive watches of their categories. Submariner, Daytona, SpeedPro, SeaPro, Monaco, that single dot on the Movado Museum and some few others - all of them are recognized and desired the world around.
And that's the deal, man.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “General Watch talk”