Truths About Watch Service & Repair

koimaster
Founder

Truths About Watch Service & Repair

Post by koimaster » May 5th 2020, 1:46pm

As an aBlogtoWatch guest, Hugh Taylor from Xupes.com (a pre-owned watches and luxury goods dealer in the UK) once again interviews their in-house master watchmaker, Mickey Nolan, as they talk about the often mysterious and typically expensive world of watch service and repair. Oftentimes, the only “true” account of watch repair comes from the men and women who are actually fixing the watches. We attempt to clear up myths, explain the source of delays and costs, and offer a watchmaker’s perspective of the watch service and repair process.

A few weeks back, I read over the story that Rolex was bumping up its guarantees and service intervals. All new watches were to have five-year guarantees, and the recommended service interval had miraculously jumped from three years to a whopping ten. This must have come as a thunderbolt to their rivals, I thought, but how come such a hefty confidence boost? As far as I knew, Rolex hadn’t made any drastic technical changes on the level of such a considerable policy alteration.

Rolex was potentially stirring up an industry movement, and for once, it would be one that would save clientele a lot of money. But instead of being contented with this, I started wondering about the watch servicing industry and whether or not we really need to send our watches in as often as they say.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watchmaker ... ce-repair/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “General Watch talk”