There is a scientific reason that you ache for new watches, this is it

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: There is a scientific reason that you ache for new watches, this is it

Post by Thunder1 » May 5th 2020, 6:46am

"“Whenever you encounter something that’s enjoyable, like a glass of wine or intriguingly novel, like a glamorous stranger at a neighbourhood party, a spritz of dopamine jacks up your level of arousal, focuses you on that target, and mobilises your explorative approach response—a symphonic collaboration that you experience as ‘Go for it!’”

Yep...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 5th 2020, 12:09pm

biglove wrote:
May 5th 2020, 11:35am
We are what our neuroreceptors drive us to be. Biology is a bitch to overcome, if it can be.
The more you become aware of the things that make you do what you do, the more control you can exercise over them.
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » May 5th 2020, 5:26pm

Falstaff wrote:
May 5th 2020, 12:09pm
biglove wrote:
We are what our neuroreceptors drive us to be. Biology is a bitch to overcome, if it can be.
The more you become aware of the things that make you do what you do, the more control you can exercise over them.
Good evidence shows that just being mindful of what's pushing on you and your responses defuses the control they have over you.

Mindfulness training works well.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 5th 2020, 5:43pm

bedlam wrote:
May 5th 2020, 5:26pm
Falstaff wrote:
biglove wrote:
Good evidence shows that just being mindful of what's pushing on you and your responses defuses the control they have over you.

That and not lying to yourself.
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 5th 2020, 6:44pm

Falstaff wrote:
May 5th 2020, 5:43pm
bedlam wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
biglove wrote:

Staying sober when shopping helps, too.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » May 5th 2020, 8:16pm

conjurer wrote:
May 5th 2020, 6:44pm
Falstaff wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
biglove wrote:

What is this "sober" you speak of?
"Nobody makes a turd like that and lives!"-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 5th 2020, 11:50pm

biglove wrote:
May 5th 2020, 8:16pm
conjurer wrote:
May 5th 2020, 6:44pm
Falstaff wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
biglove wrote:

What is this "sober" you speak of?
Granted, Mr. Loaf, in you line of work, I would hardly suggest this. Considering that as soon as people started hoarding toilet paper, I bought out most of the Canadian Club at my local package store, I'm hardly the guy to cast the first stone.

However, while one swills Olympian amounts of booze, one should not shop online. This is pretty easy to do.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 6th 2020, 5:58am

bedlam wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
biglove wrote:

One of Shermer's citations suggests that increasing knowledge of biases does not work to decrease one's own biases but rather results in a sort of "meta bias blind spot" towards oneself.

Totally and absolutely counter-intuitive but now I'm curious enough to see if I can find it again.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 6th 2020, 7:29am

Hawk wrote:
May 6th 2020, 5:58am
bedlam wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
biglove wrote:

One of Shermer's citations suggests that increasing knowledge of biases does not work to decrease one's own biases but rather results in a sort of "meta bias blind spot" towards oneself.

Totally and absolutely counter-intuitive but now I'm curious enough to see if I can find it again.

Again, it comes down to eschewing self deception. A scary place to go, but ultimately liberating. Want to be a second level reader? Ya gotta see the fnords.

The Doors
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 6th 2020, 8:29am

Indeed. But if my fallible memory isn't going oldstimers on me that's something that isn't easily achieved even with a conscious effort to do so.

But I've got a metric pantload of Shermer stuff so finding the specific study will be troublesome. In the interim it remains counter-intuitive and could be easily dismissed in the face of an objective study that suggests the opposite. Overall it was mildly distressing to consider that we might be incapable of escaping self-delusion so dispelling it would be nice.

Then again it might have been David McRaney rather than Shermer.

ETA: still haven't found what I was looking for but this might be entertaining. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 6th 2020, 10:42am

Hawk wrote:
May 6th 2020, 8:29am
Indeed. But if my fallible memory isn't going oldstimers on me that's something that isn't easily achieved even with a conscious effort to do so.

But I've got a metric pantload of Shermer stuff so finding the specific study will be troublesome. In the interim it remains counter-intuitive and could be easily dismissed in the face of an objective study that suggests the opposite. Overall it was mildly distressing to consider that we might be incapable of escaping self-delusion so dispelling it would be nice.

Then again it might have been David McRaney rather than Shermer.

ETA: still haven't found what I was looking for but this might be entertaining. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Well, I went to the library the other day and asked for a book about Pavlov's dog and Schrodinger's cat. The librarian said it rang a bell, but she didn't know if it was in the library or not.

The Doors
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 6th 2020, 10:49am

Did your librarian have anything to offer on the ease of ridding oneself of bias?

In the interim I did locate one study that suggests policy preferences can clobber our ability to perform basic math. It involves skin cream and rashes but veers into something obliquely political so in deference to the location of this thread...
Spoiler:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2319992
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 6th 2020, 11:08am

Hawk wrote:
May 6th 2020, 10:49am
Did your librarian have anything to offer on the ease of ridding oneself of bias?
No, but she did recommend first accepting that there is no behavior in the entirety of human experience that you are not both prey to and capable of performing and secondly that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts- a gestalt.

-

The Doors
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 6th 2020, 1:11pm

Hawk wrote:
May 6th 2020, 11:15am
May I inquire: what does this librarian look like? Secondly, can she differentiate between a gestalt and a kludge?
Well, when I first went in and asked about the Pavlov/ Schrodinger book, she looked like this: https://ucart100.files.wordpress.com/20 ... tion31.jpg

I turned around and when I turned back, she looked like this: https://guyhepner.com/wp-content/upload ... 50x359.jpg

As she began to explain the idea of gestalt, I glanced over and she looked like this: https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... -wMU4NLlBQ

And finally it all clicked and she looked like this:
https://ctempleinternship.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=809

She handed me a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, gave me a lewd wink and walked on down the hall....
Last edited by Falstaff on May 6th 2020, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Doors
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 6th 2020, 1:13pm

Falstaff wrote:
May 6th 2020, 1:11pm
Hawk wrote:
May 6th 2020, 11:15am
May I inquire: what does this librarian look like? Secondly, can she differentiate between a gestalt and a kludge?
Well, when I first went in and asked about the Pavlov/ Schrodinger book, she looked like this: https://ucart100.files.wordpress.com/20 ... tion31.jpg

I turned around and when I turned back, she looked like this: https://guyhepner.com/wp-content/upload ... 50x359.jpg

As she began to explain the idea of gestalt, I glanced over and she looked like this: https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... -wMU4NLlBQ

And finally it all clicked and she looked like this:
https://ctempleinternship.files.wordpre ... .jpg?w=809

She handed me a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, gave me a lewd wink and walked off down the hall....
She wasn't wearing a mask?? The fuck's wrong with her!!

--Hawkeye
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 6th 2020, 4:51pm

Hawk wrote:
May 6th 2020, 4:14pm
I was just curious if it was my librarian.

I'm guessing not.

She could sort out my Dewey Decimal system.

--Hawkeye

Return to “General Watch talk”