STP1-11 VS. NH35A: WHICH MOVEMENT?

koimaster
Founder

STP1-11 VS. NH35A: WHICH MOVEMENT?

Post by koimaster » May 2nd 2020, 1:14pm

Pretty informative read.

Our debut watch, the Trieste, is offered with the choice of two automatic movements, the Swiss STP1-11 and Seiko (SII) NH35A. Both of these movements are reliable, but as our prices reflect, they are not made equally ($350 for NH35A Triestes, $500 for STP1-11 Triestes). Is the STP1-11 worth the $150 premium over the NH35A? That really depends on your needs and what you care about in a mechanical watch. In this post, we’ll take a closer look at the differences between the two movements and (hopefully) help out those who are having trouble deciding which one to get.

https://www.noduswatches.com/blog/stp1- ... h-movement

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: STP1-11 VS. NH35A: WHICH MOVEMENT?

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2020, 1:21pm

Since I've never considered buying a Nodus wartche, I really haven't considered the whole thing.

If I had a choice between a watch with either a Seiko or STP movement, I'd probably go with the Seiko, since I've heard a lot of divergent opinions on the STP.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 2nd 2020, 2:17pm

I would go with the Seiko NH35A. I have it in the Dan Henry 1970, and it's been really good so far.

Sure, the STP1-11 looks nicer. However, given how fucking fragile the keyless works of it are, I really wouldn't want to have a watch with that movement. Sure, it has been used in some good-looking watches like the Meraud Bonaire and various Zodiacs. However, I'd rather save myself the headache and frustration, and pass on any STP-powered watch.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » May 2nd 2020, 4:14pm

After reading their comparison between the two movements, I'm wondering why they bother with the NH35A at all. They seem to LOVE the STP-11 so much, why not just have it be the sole movement for the watch?

Honestly, I don't bother to check the accuracy of my watches and so they are all pretty much the same in terms of keeping time. That goes for the automatics versus the quartz; they are all "close enough" for me. Now, if I'm shelling out Rolex kind of money, that watch better keep damn good time or somebody is going to have a bad day.

I have a San Martin bronze with the NH35 movement and so far, no complaints. But then, I don't have a watch with the STP1-11 sitting right next to it.

But what the hell? It's all a moot point anyways as the Nodus website doesn't even show their Trieste watch anywhere and all their other watches either have some Miyota movement or they have the tried and true NH35.

This one is my favorite of their website:

it is fitted with a NH35A regulated to ±5 sec/day.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2020, 5:44pm

I've heard of plenty of micros that offer different movements depending on price point. Most basic Japanese movements can be regulated to a pretty good accuracy, assuming the micros put in the effort.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » May 3rd 2020, 4:32am

Probably wouldnt buy the watch with either movement and to be fair Ive never owned an STP-11 but I would be just Fine with the NH35A. I do have several watches with that movement and have been satisfied.

I do think hell has frozen over and the world is about to come to an end though. The Invicta 1953 I recently purchased with the NH35A has been running way above COSC specs. Ive timed it 3 times now for 24 hour stretches face up, worn and a mixture of the 2 and as far as I can tell spot on, +1 or -1 second at the most!! The most accurate automatic Ive ever owned. May try face down and on the side just for yuks since I am as bored as I have ever been in life due to the virus lockdown. Im not an accuracy freak as I wear a quartz if I want that, just amazed at this one and an Invicta at that.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 3rd 2020, 9:52am

When you compare the NH35 to the movement it has largely replaced - the Miyota 8215 - the Seiko is a whole different ballgame - among other positives, it hacks.
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » May 3rd 2020, 2:06pm

Wow, how far have we gone down the rabbit hole? I remember when Fossil started using their in house Swiss movement and we debated if it was truly Swiss. I remember the first time I actually bought one at the Fossil outlet in a Zodiac. For the price I’d go with the Seiko movement. All I can say is wow this is exactly what was talked about when ETA said they were not going to sell third party. Now STP and Sellita are what you are going to find in most. I also remember a debate about the stp1-11 vs the eta 2824.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason

Return to “General Watch talk”