Types Of Watch Glass – Which Is Best?

koimaster
Founder

Types Of Watch Glass – Which Is Best?

Post by koimaster » April 28th 2020, 10:45am

In this video, I compare the different types of watch glass, to see which of the main types of watch crystals is the best watch glass out there. I'll be comparing acrylic glass vs mineral glass vs sapphire glass, along with the properties of the respective watch glass types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3F2iW ... e=youtu.be

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Types Of Watch Glass – Which Is Best?

Post by Falstaff » April 28th 2020, 10:58am

I don't pay much attention to watch crystals. I've never had one of any kind crack or break with normal use and those that have broken have been hit with a catastrophic impact. Wouldn't have mattered whether they were hesalite, mineral, sapphire or clear neutronium. I like to see sapphire on an expensive watch, but that's just because sapphire is considered "better". Scratches happen regardless of crystal type. I either have them polished out or I have the crystal replaced. Never lost any sleep one way or another.
"The killer awoke before dawn. He put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery - and he walked on down the hall."

The Doors
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » April 28th 2020, 2:09pm

My preferences are mineral crystal for dive watches, sapphire for every thing else. I love acrylic also and still own but more for nostalgic reasons. Ive never let the type of crystal influence me in any purchase.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » April 28th 2020, 4:46pm

For me? It's sapphire first and foremost. Yet, I own everything from sapphire to acrylic.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » April 28th 2020, 7:35pm

Well, sapphire, acrylic and...mineral glass, for me.

Sapphire for no scratchies--but acrylic because nothing else diffuses light as elegantly, and it lasts almost like sapphire if you're careful.

Mineral glass, if I have to.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 28th 2020, 7:40pm

Acrylic (hesalite) for me. There's just that feel/look to it that sapphire or mineral crystals will simply never have. And, it doesn't shatter into little shards.

Nevertheless, I'm OK with sapphire and mineral crystals. Got watches with all three types of crystals, and it's not like I'd pass up on a watch because of the crystal alone.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » April 28th 2020, 8:04pm

Mineral on dive watches, sapphire for the rest.

That said, acrylic and mineral look better. Sapphire also requires a decent AR application or its virtually unusable.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Return to “General Watch talk”