Better Lucky Than Good: “go with your ‘inner voice’” —> Now With WATCHES & A Car <— [LONG!]

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Better Lucky Than Good: “go with your ‘inner voice’” —> Now With WATCHES & A Car <— [LONG!]

Post by Nuvolari » March 6th 2020, 11:29pm

First, I am feeling particularly grateful to have been at the right place at the right time, having engaged in a mental coin toss that resulted in me going with a rather emotional response.

My wife and I have been contemplating purchasing a home, having tired of our excellent long-term rental that has really worked out quite well for us. In the meantime, I’ve been heavily invested in a somewhat diversified portfolio that was a bit too heavy in tech, Apple in particular.

I have been a little uptight over the last six months due to the volatility in the financial markets, but they continued to rally while Washington burned. Or flourished, depending on your view. My point being, should we make a move now? When Apple missed their earning projection in Q4-18 I about had a baby armadillo out my ass, but it all worked out and they pressed on, recovered, and then rallied. What’s the right plan? You only know for sure, after the fact, whether your plan was genius or idiotic...

There is a home nearby, listed for sale, as it turns out, by one of the coolest local brokers in town who is a personal friend and a long-term business referral partner. I sent a link to my wife, across the room - you know, like a punk-ass teenager - and she looked up from her phone after a moment and said, “Yeah... I saw that. But it’s outside of our ‘price range’...” rather sheepishly.

Well, it was outside of what we defined as our price range... but this woman is the love of my life, we have been consistently underwhelmed by what has been available - and this particular property is spectacular: A large, beautiful, single-story on a fantastic 1/2 acre lot that is one of 26 homes, all owner-occupied, in a quiet gated community.

I asked her, “Sure. But, do you like it?“

Without pause she said, “I love it...” but shrugged like it was out of the question.

Well, damn.

Cut to a phone call with my financial advisor: “...that’s true, Bob - but, you know, you can’t live in a great portfolio.” Ultimately, he agreed and was really cool about it. He works in partnership with my accountant, and we all addressed the tax implications - and I pulled the trigger to execute the sale of most of what I believed to be our riskier assets.

There is a 3 day window before funds would be available - but the order was submitted. That was Wednesday, February 19th and the Dow was somewhere around 29,300... The market softened a little by Friday, but it didn’t really matter, what’s done is done.

And, in all honesty, I couldn’t help but wonder, “Did I make our move too soon”? You know, if the DOW returns on a charge toward 30,000 you’ll miss that rally... Yeah, maybe. BUT an old dude once told me, ‘Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered...’ and that seems to fit here, too”

Our funds came through, and were sent to Escrow... and by sheer luck we’ve been able to shift from a liquid asset into an illiquid asset - as it turns out, BEFORE a ginormous overblown emotional shitstorm would plague stocks and most financial markets.

We close in a little over a week.

So... yeah, I wish I could say how clever I was, or how my extensive research and keen market insight allowed me to clearly see this coming a mile away - but don’t you hate those kind of Monday-morning douchebags? STFU, no you didn’t! :slap:

And I didn’t. But I went with my gut and made the move I needed to make and soon my wife will have the home of her dreams completely unencumbered by debt. And, she says I can go with her, which is nice.

Oh - and there is a cool little outbuilding that is well-lit, has great ventilation & windows, ceiling fan, & cable, shelves, work-benches... and is the future home of “Signore Nuvolari’s Legitimate Watch & Strap Center”.

Today, I took the BBB to the property inspection - this perspective is looking out the window of what will be my home office:

BBB in the office, looking toward entry:

Looking toward the living room... gonna get someone stronger than me to put our piano there:

So, the inspection went well, I ran back to my office to take care of a few things, and then went to meet a buddy at a local pub literally one block away from my office (“the Emporium” in the image below) when I stumbled onto this super sweet T6 twin-grille 356 “outlaw”, very well done... I spoke with the owner to the point where I was late to meet my buddy - but he wants to get together for coffee and bench racing. An older dude and a cool cat - with the Grateful Dead “Steal Your Face” decal in the window, I know we’ll continue to get along great.

I Image

So, I caught up with my buddy, had a few pints, and when I got home (2.6 miles) I found my impulsive eBay purchase had arrived.

I was going to round up all the parts and put together a Fifty Fathoms homage for shits and giggles. But the plan was to convert a Seiko or an Nvictan... but then that’s just the dial & hands... the case would still be skx/srb/something Seiko in look.

Instead, I found this thing - with a case that looks damn good, in my opinion (41mm), coin edge 120 click bezel, ceramic bezel insert, threaded crown & caseback. 300M, good lume, & Seiko NH35 movement (with hack & hand-wind). This thing is done way better than anything I could cobble together (& nothing broken by trying!) - and I am really pleased with its look and feel.

I just added the band... oh, and the “spring bars” (strap keepers?) are threaded, too...

Why, yes, that is a bunch of dust on the bezel... thanks for noticing, dick!

So... what a ridiculously long-ass post. But, hey man, I’m happy, feeling good, feeling lucking, feeling grateful!! All those things, and maybe just tiny bit loaded...

But I’d like to think that’s appropriate! :cheers:
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: Better Lucky Than Good: “go with your ‘inner voice’” —> Now With WATCHES & A Car <— [LONG!]

Post by Nuvolari » March 7th 2020, 7:04am

Falstaff wrote:
March 7th 2020, 6:31am
Hearty congratulations on a very good week indeed! By the by - '63?
Thank you, Sir! And - that tub was indeed, a ‘63 - well done, Falsy! (“My what big eyes you have...”)
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Re: Better Lucky Than Good: “go with your ‘inner voice’” —> Now With WATCHES & A Car <— [LONG!]

Post by Falstaff » March 7th 2020, 8:03am

Nuvolari wrote:
March 7th 2020, 7:04am
Falstaff wrote:
March 7th 2020, 6:31am
Hearty congratulations on a very good week indeed! By the by - '63?
Thank you, Sir! And - that tub was indeed, a ‘63 - well done, Falsy! (“My what big eyes you have...”)
It's a beauty!
"I fear me for Huginn, lest he not return - but I watch more for Muninn."

Odin Alvater
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » March 7th 2020, 8:27am

Congratulations, I’m happy and excited for you and Mrs. N.
You worked for it, you planned for it, you were smart about it, you earned it and now you get to enjoy it.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » March 8th 2020, 8:00am

That's one damned fine looking casa, sir!!..you know, good thangs happen to good people...and I guess it doesn't hurt much if they're smart, as well...hope you and yours enjoy the new digs to the fullest..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...

Return to “General Watch talk”