Is this evidence of the next Quartz Crisis?

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Is this evidence of the next Quartz Crisis?

Post by Racer-X » February 8th 2020, 9:30pm

"Watch enthusiasts face a somewhat unique challenge. When asked, “What are your hobbies?”, if you answer “rugby” or “dining out”, your response is almost immediately understood. In my own experience, when I say “watches”, the response is, more often than not, another question. “Watches?” My answer only seems to create echoing confusion.

There are a lot of beliefs about the watch industry that aren’t necessarily correct, but they aren’t wrong either. They’re just not as nuanced as they could be. The zeitgeist seems to be that watches are an outmoded technology, like the riding crop. When horses were the main form of transportation, we needed one. With cars, not so much. Similarly, when we didn’t have mobile phones, or smart watches, we needed a mechanical watch. Now that we have better timekeeping tech, the watch seems vestigial."

https://timeandtidewatches.com/evidence ... tz-crisis/
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Is this evidence of the next Quartz Crisis?

Post by bedlam » February 8th 2020, 9:39pm

People need to establish better boundaries on how much of their time and attention they give to social media and internet connectiveness, so the popularity of applewatch like products continues to surprise me.

I get the Fitbit type health related angle, but why do you want constant phone based notifications on your wrist? Personally I don't think its a particularly good idea.
Last edited by bedlam on February 9th 2020, 4:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 9th 2020, 1:21am

conjurer wrote:
February 8th 2020, 10:17pm
Anybody who uses "zeitgeist" unironically is a stupid bastard, and anybody who reads it is a fucking dick!
And, I know lots of people who don't own a horse that have riding crops.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » February 9th 2020, 9:09am

I don't buy any of this, blathering prose notwithstanding. I go to two to three watch fairs every year, and a bunch of watch-related other stuff as well (brand nights at watch stores, etc) and you have to shoehorn people in just so they can attend - they're packed.

I don't care that there are more "smart" watches sold than traditional ones - they're two different audiences, two different customers. There's room for all of 'em.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
bbattle

Post by bbattle » February 9th 2020, 4:36pm

bedlam wrote:
February 8th 2020, 9:39pm
People need to establish better boundaries on how much of their time and attention they give to social media and internet connectiveness, so the popularity of applewatch like products continues to surprise me.

I get the Fitbit type health related angle, but why do you want phone constant based notifications on your wrist? Personally I don't think its a particularly good idea.
Our granddaughters are addicted to their smart phones. They come over, and immediately stare at their phones the whole time they are at our house. When pushed, they may put them down for a moment but they are worse than cigarette smokers after a fine meal; they can't wait to jump back on those phones. Taking everyone out to dinner, my wife and I sat there while everyone else at the table had those damn phones out. Looking around, lots of other people were doing the same thing. Bah!

My hope is people will get burned out and drop social media like a rock. Why should anyone care what you ate for breakfast or what happened a few hours later after eating said breakfast.

My wife is a real estate agent and 99% of business is conducted via phone/e-mail/text. She has bought and sold properties for people without ever meeting them; including gaining power of attorney for both parties and signing all of the documents at closing. (one party in California, the other on duty in Afghanistan). I can understand real world uses for the phone but social media is just garbage.

When I was a teenager, I HATED phones. It seemed like girlfriend du jour had spies letting her know when I got home because that damn phone would be ringing. My father also had a dislike of phones so the ringer was often turned off. Damn, who wants to be tracked every minute of every day? Get a life, Millennials!

Meanwhile, Apple smartwatches outsold the entire Swiss watch production for 2019. I never thought it would be that bad but then I have no idea why so many "fresh outs" where I work carry these gigantic backpacks to work everyday. Are they prepared for the Zombie apocalypse or do they have their support stuffed animal and safe space ambient noise machine packed inside? And everywhere they walk, that phone is out in front; click, swipe, swipe-swipe, click.

disclaimer: I have to have a cellphone because I work in multiple buildings and several coworkers and bosses need to get a hold of me. But I have a flip phone that is practically indestructible. Just don't ask me to text anything more than "ok" or "yes/no" from it. You won't be texting me; you will have to actually talk to me. And no, I do not use it to tell time.

/rant over
Last edited by bbattle on February 9th 2020, 5:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » February 9th 2020, 4:59pm

Each day I see a steady stream of people from all walks of life and I see lots of standard watches. If anything I think watch awareness and engagement has increased overall.

A chunk of the people wearing smart watches now never wore a standard watch previously. I'm convinced that standard and smart watches are reasonably different things which are more likely to coincide with rather than displace each other.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Return to “General Watch talk”