Regarding buying pre-owned watches

koimaster
Founder

Regarding buying pre-owned watches

Post by koimaster » January 29th 2020, 9:22am

Regarding buying pre-owned watches, the best advice I've ever read, and give out first:

Buy the seller.
There is are disgusting amounts of unscrupulous imbeciles selling watches these days. From "homage" watches, to replicas passed off as the real deal. The vintage watch market is overwhelmed with fakes or frankenwatches. Most come from eastern europe or India these days. Look for the warning signs, and go with your gut.

A lack of detail in the photograph can be an indicator the seller has something to hide, If the images are blurry, or they’ve not shot every angle, be wary. A watch shown without the original box and papers can also sometimes indicate a lack of legitimacy.” You basically want every little detail – flaw or otherwise – shown, and ideally a description that sheds light on when the watch was bought, how often it was worn, and what the potential downsides are (scratches, dings or repairs).

Mis-positioned letters or missing details on the dial or caseback. Look for misspellings in either the name or wording. Is the chapter ring misaligned? If it has a serial number, many manufacturer sites have information which can verify if the watch is authentic. Ask to see the watch movement (photos) and ask for a video of the second hand sweep.

Don't learn the hard way.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
kevco
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Regarding buying pre-owned watches

Post by kevco » January 29th 2020, 9:43am

One basic rule I have accepted when it comes to buying vintage (used) watches over the last 10 years or so. And I do have some experience...is..that you might as well plan on having it serviced sooner rather than later, even if it is sold as NOS or "recently serviced."

Return to “General Watch talk”