Citizen Promaster Aqualand 30th Anniversary

TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Citizen Promaster Aqualand 30th Anniversary

Post by TemerityB » January 13th 2020, 9:34am

Last April, Citizen released a new Promaster watch that rung my bell so hard that from the second I saw it, I knew I wanted it without reservation. A ISO compliant dive watch that I'm not even worthy to touch since I don't dive, never have dived, and never will dive, but I nonetheless have coveted this watch since the moment it was issued. On top of it, as I list the watch's attributes, my lust for this particular piece seems even all the more nonsensical:

A watch with a myriad of dive functions – what's the point, landlubber? 46mm – your mama! Blue poly strap – not in this lifetime! Mineral crystal, not sapphire, at this price point, no less? – get outta town! Packed in a little black dive case – what is it, an Invicter?

Yet … though not much of the characteristics of this year-old Aqualand model are what I'd ever look for as a package, for some undefined reason, it all works for me, like gangbusters. I think part of the reason is that I feel about Citizen the way many members here feel about Seiko – a brand that makes good watches at fair prices, and to date has never let me down, not even once. I realize the Eco-Drive technology is not for everybody, but I've never had one of their watches crap out on me the way the Seiko solars and Kinetics have, repeatedly, no less.

As for my non-diving ways, it turns out this one has some features I actually like. The blue strap – a first for me – doesn't need to be replaced, which is a reason I don't buy many divers; it's sized so that even the smallest wrist will work with the watch (it does come with a diver's extension that makes the strap longer if need be). In addition, for a 46mm, it wears small, particularly since it's about 14 to 15mm high. When I spied this one in the store, my biggest trepidation would be that it would look ginormous on my just about seven-inch wrist, but it doesn't look garish and it feels great.

So what are all those knobs for, TB? The large one on the center of the left side is an actual rapid ascent alarm; the pushers on the left are for various diving functions, among them maximum depth memory, the descent alarm, auto start dive mode, and a power reserve indicator (which is a nifty feature even without it being a diver; I can imagine that little perk would be good for divers especially). The watch is rated for 200m/20 bars. The watch also has amazing lume (Superluminova I'd wager) and pretty much stays lit all the time if you wear it out. The movement here is an Eco-Drive Caliber J250, which Citizen claims will be plus/minus 15 seconds per month.

There is a fancier limited edition of this same watch featuring some gold plating, and that's pretty nifty as well, and costs about $100 than this model does.

I'd reckon this could be used as a serious dive watch, but I'd pass that summation on to the bedlams of the world; as for me, it looks and feels like a quality, tough watch that I should be able to wear often, which is what I really wanted. This has a list price of $695, but since I waited this one out for the better part of a year, you can find these at retail all over the place and online for much less (though I've seen this for as low as $399 on Chrono24, I opted to pick this up at Macy's since I wanted to inspect it first, and I paid about $70 more, but to me it was worth it since i could check it out size-wise).

Again: I have no business owning his watch. That being noted, I'm unabashedly crazy about it, like a kid at Christmas. Gotta treat yourself every now and again, folks. (Note - the side watch photo I cobbed from the Citizen website since I couldn't get one half as good as that.)
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Citizen Promaster Aqualand 30th Anniversary

Post by TemerityB » January 13th 2020, 12:44pm

conjurer wrote:
January 13th 2020, 9:41am
That's simply fucking bad-ass. I want one of these more than a blowjob from Leah Gotti.
My suggestion, as with anything that isn't from the luxury segment: Wait it out. Scour the gray site and Google and I'd wager that before long this model could be had for about $379.

Oh, and you made me look up who Leah Gotti was. Good gravy!!!
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » January 13th 2020, 1:07pm

OK, I have 2 ProMasters but that one made my pecker twitch. If only it wasnt blue Id be on the way to the hospital after 4 hours.
Last edited by MAX on January 13th 2020, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 13th 2020, 1:10pm

foghorn wrote:
January 13th 2020, 12:51pm
Cool. That's one chunky monkey. The instructions would probably make my head explode.
What's the push button at the 3 do?

Hooray new watches!!
At the three, it isn't actually a push button - that's actually the water sensor. And the manual is 67 pages long.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 13th 2020, 1:14pm

MAX wrote:
January 13th 2020, 1:07pm
OK, I have 2 ProMasters but that one made my pecker twitch. If only it wasnt b;ue Id be on the way to the hospital after 4 hours.
Oh?

It also comes in red with a bracelet as well.
MAX

Post by MAX » January 13th 2020, 1:56pm

TemerityB wrote:
January 13th 2020, 1:14pm
MAX wrote:
January 13th 2020, 1:07pm
OK, I have 2 ProMasters but that one made my pecker twitch. If only it wasnt b;ue Id be on the way to the hospital after 4 hours.
Oh?

It also comes in red with a bracelet as well.
rut-roh

I did look around a little and that color combo is a lot more $ but available as you say. Ill keep looking and might even accept the blue if I go for one. Need to find the lug to lug measurement but Citizens always seem to fit me no matter the size.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX

Post by MAX » January 14th 2020, 9:50am

MAX wrote:
January 14th 2020, 9:48am
svaglic wrote:
January 14th 2020, 9:30am
That is a nice blue, Citizen does blue well.
A 67 page manual would keep me walking in circles. No way I could focus long enough on that.
Manuals are not too difficult to understand plus if you are not going to actually dive it is not any harder to set and use than any other.

Seems easier than this one.
NRPI here.

koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 14th 2020, 10:04am

s-l640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 14th 2020, 12:06pm

^^^^
Pretty nifty as well.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 14th 2020, 9:55pm

Goddamn it, these new Citis are hot. I used to think that the Citi Promaster Sky in Super Titanium was the coolest watch they ever made, but these make me as priapic as Uday Hussein.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye

Return to “Your New Watch”