I don't normally look at other men but

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

I don't normally look at other men but

Post by Pubbie » November 11th 2019, 10:29am

All this talk about big sports watches, cashmoney and investments is in start contrast to what 95% of people out there wear. For every feet-first, rail-dial, flat-four, APH text, metres-last, frog-foot, tropical spider collector out there, hundreds of people are wearing any old thing that tells the time, suits the moment and doesn't break.

The other day on the Choob sat a gent, younger than me (which doesn't narrow it down much) wearing a simple, steel-cased, slight dressy watch of a mid-century style on a very dark burgundy strap. Was it a JLC? An old IWC? A PP? A GP? Something that isn't normally expressed in capital initials? It certainly looked like any of those. Sharp and classy without trying very hard. As the train lurched and banged off the sides of the tunnel like it was 1896, an arm shot out and I had a look. It was a Rotary. A fucking Rotary. Damn, it looked good. Not one of their Chavitimers, or one from that range of theirs with the missing dial and a spray-painted Miyota with holes drilled in it, but a standard sort of Rotary they have been making since, well, about 1896, that could have been 5 or 30 years old. If I hadn't been able to see the sunburst dial and giveaway marque at the 12 o'clock, I wouldn't have been any the wiser. Also, I wasn't particularly disappointed; all I thought was "smart choice, cobber".

Anyway, back to my e-book and not looking up at anyone!
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: I don't normally look at other men but

Post by TemerityB » November 11th 2019, 5:16pm

Yeah, I check out wrists from time to time. No harm, no foul.

Well, there was one time I was in a Tourneau annex in Long Island and some moke thrust out his Venom, and I openly turned into Mary Tyler Moore at Chuckles the Clown's funeral. It was touch and go there for a moment, but cooler heads prevailed.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 12th 2019, 4:06pm

Rotary used to make nice watches. Used to. Not anymore. They make hardly anything but rubbish these days. A sad end for a company that made everything from the most basic, casual watches with decent movements up to chronographs in EPSA Super-Compressor cases.

As for the "spider dial..." The correct term is actually "shit dial," because it's nothing more than evidence of a shitty paint job committed by one of Rolex's dial suppliers. It always gave me the laughs - all them Donkey acolytes and Italian onanists on Instagram (yes, a lot of the shit "trends" are promoted there by, for whatever reason, the Italians) have, all along, wanked to what's really not considerably different from paint flaking off of a rust-caked Hyundai.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » November 13th 2019, 6:29am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
November 12th 2019, 4:06pm
Rotary used to make nice watches. Used to. Not anymore. They make hardly anything but rubbish these days. A sad end for a company that made everything from the most basic, casual watches with decent movements up to chronographs in EPSA Super-Compressor cases.

As for the "spider dial..." The correct term is actually "shit dial," because it's nothing more than evidence of a shitty paint job committed by one of Rolex's dial suppliers. It always gave me the laughs - all them Donkey acolytes and Italian onanists on Instagram (yes, a lot of the shit "trends" are promoted there by, for whatever reason, the Italians) have, all along, wanked to what's really not considerably different from paint flaking off of a rust-caked Hyundai.
I'll say. Well, the stupidly wealthy ripping off the stupidly wealthy, all passing the same old ancient, substandard watches around like a hard-fucked groupie backstage after a Scorpion gig.

I don't know how old the Rotary was that I spotted - they may be junk now, but some of them don't look a lot different. It was basically this one (on the left) but in newer condition:

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 13th 2019, 8:12am

Pubbie wrote:
November 13th 2019, 6:29am
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
November 12th 2019, 4:06pm

I'll say. Well, the stupidly wealthy ripping off the stupidly wealthy, all passing the same old ancient, substandard watches around like a hard-fucked groupie backstage after a Scorpion gig.

I don't know how old the Rotary was that I spotted - they may be junk now, but some of them don't look a lot different. It was basically this one (on the left) but in newer condition:

That looks like an EPSA Super Compressor. At least judging by the "cross-hatched" crown.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas

Return to “General Watch talk”