Revisiting the Maison Celadon Yue Fei

tiktok (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Revisiting the Maison Celadon Yue Fei

Post by tiktok » November 4th 2019, 12:26am

I had previously kvetched here about the turn around time for a $1k watch and its legibity. Well the watch seems to have won me over based on some really impressive features and finish as well as a new pair of scleral lenses, you'll have to Google that one, enabling me to actually tell the time here. The watch is a very workable 39x48x14 and while it's ostensibly a dive watch with screw down crown and caseback, 200 meter water resistance, 120 click unidirectional bezel, water resistant hybrid leather/rubber strap and domed crystal, it has a dressy vibe that makes it float in an ethereal plane between and amongst dive and dress. I think this can be a perceived drawback but I've come to enjoy the idiosyncrasies, verdammt!

Everything about the watch relates to Chinese history, particularly relating to the great warrior Yue FEI, but as one who has to create backstories to my own work, usually after the full act of creation, I'll skip the folklore.

The case is milled out of a monobloc in the shape of an octagon, calling Mr Genta on aisle 4, the crown is an octagon and it comes in a unique octagonal leather box. The dial has a gray fumé finish that is quite unique, the hands are blued with some white lume in the middle but the lume sucks, also there is no AR coating which is a drag until you get used to the hands. The engine is a modified BWAF B15 that winds like much higher priced butter.

Other notable features are the nice mix of brushed and polished edges, not quite Zaratsu quality but good. The buckle is really solid brushed steel as well.

VERDICT: If you can get beyond the identity crisis of this watch it has a lot to offer including 5 year warranty. Sits very comfortably and has the feel of a very real live watch, not microbrand fluff.

Last edited by tiktok on November 4th 2019, 1:40am, edited 1 time in total.
"Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace."
Eugene O'Neill.
tiktok (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Revisiting the Maison Celadon Yue Fei

Post by tiktok » November 4th 2019, 1:04am

I should also mention Benjamin the owner of Maison Celadon is preselling his Premier watch, like the Imperial it has pressed guilloche with 3 hands instead of the original two hander. The net proceeds of the first 100 watches sold will go to support animal shelters in Singapore. You can find a beautiful piece with a Soprod movement for an insane price during pre-sale. Check it out here: https://celadonhh.com/collections/premier

"Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace."
Eugene O'Neill.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Revisiting the Maison Celadon Yue Fei

Post by svaglic » November 4th 2019, 5:49am

I would love a peacock version, but I can’t see getting the white Premier when I have the white Imperial.
I mentioned to him, that if it was in a different color, I’d be on it. He said he has no plans to do different colors at this time.
The truth doesn't hurt unless it ought to.
B. C. Forbes

Return to “Your New Watch”