5. $3000 +
13%

Total votes: 16

koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Price point for watch purchases?

Post by koimaster » September 19th 2019, 8:37am

We all choose and pick our watches, new or pre-owned (used for those who are not watch snobs). At what price point if any do you feel comfortable spending on a watch, new or otherwise?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
iwasbanned
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Price point for watch purchases?

Post by iwasbanned » September 19th 2019, 9:29am

tough question. i think it depends on the watch and how bad i want it. if i want a watch bad enough and scrimping and saving will get me there in a reasonable amount of time, and nothing more important pops up or is expect to pop up in the near future, and it's at an agreeable price, i'll buy it. regardless of price, i always have buyers remorse for a day or so, but eventually get over it :).
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Post by koimaster » September 19th 2019, 9:34am

iwasbanned wrote:
September 19th 2019, 9:29am
tough question. i think it depends on the watch and how bad i want it. if i want a watch bad enough and scrimping and saving will get me there in a reasonable amount of time, and nothing more important pops up or is expect to pop up in the near future, and it's at an agreeable price, i'll buy it. regardless of price, i always have buyers remorse for a day or so, but eventually get over it :).
Given the watches I have seen on your wrist over the years, buyers remorse for a day is something I could live with.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » September 19th 2019, 10:16am

foghorn wrote:
September 19th 2019, 9:43am
200-500 these days. Sometimes even less. I’ve owned many “supposed” high end watches and came to realize that I can be equally or more satisfied with well made watches at much more reasonable prices.
"You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at..."
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » September 19th 2019, 10:57am

The question stated comfortable so based on buying mostly pre-loved I look at it as how much can I stand to be ripped off for and still continue and not lose interest in watches. Also how do I feel if that watch is damaged, lost or stolen. 2-5 does that.

Ive spent both more and less but that price point gives the most pleasure with the least pain. YMMV
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 19th 2019, 11:53am

I started as a watch collector with limited resources, but as time passed (and as I learned more) my entire way of buying changed: I now save my pennies the old fashioned away by not spending on mid or low tier stuff, and only buying one or two watches a year so I can eventually get something I really wanted. My most recent purchase, a pre-owned Omega Constellation, was a perfect example of that - a watch I always coveted at a spectacular price I couldn't pass up. My "collection" is just about finished - but if there's a windfall of liquid, I have one or two other things I'd like to grab before I'm done, and the ones I'm eyeing are expensive pieces. Marriage has its advantages, too; she knows what to get me for birthdays and such, and she comes to watch fairs with me. I usually leave with a bag. :wink:
Someone told me years ago that you never see a hearse being followed by an armored car. - Datsun240Z71
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » September 19th 2019, 4:52pm

iwasbanned wrote:
September 19th 2019, 12:46pm
conjurer wrote:
September 19th 2019, 12:39pm
I'm pretty much done with high-end collecting; I'm getting a little too close to retirement to spend a lot on watches anymore.
just buy rolex, it's an investment. probably outperform the market too!
Which leaves me with a 10K hole in my wallet and a boring-ass watch on my wrist. Nah.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 19th 2019, 5:52pm

I suppose the most I've ever paid was 450 euro for the 1946 Omega, that including the servicing and a brand new Graf ox leather strap. All the other stuff I've bought costed way less. I don't exactly feel like spending the same - or anywhere near it - on any watch in the nearest future. The most recent stuff was the Timex MK1, before that - the Casio A168, the Sea-Gull chrono, and the pre-owned (bought from my good friend) DH 1970. Guess this means that I'm now MK The Stingy Bloke.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 19th 2019, 10:47pm

Other than a JDM Nemo or a vint Autavia if I'm lucky enough to stumble onto one, I hanker for nothing.

Most of the coolest watches I own were inherited; the most I ever spent was about $3,800 with the tax and extended warranty.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 20th 2019, 7:34am

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
September 20th 2019, 2:57am
My purchases have ranged from $10 to $10,000, with 3 in that upper price range.

Crazy? You bet! Just like having 6 cars in the driveway, for two drivers.

But someone told me years ago that you never see a hearse being followed by an armored car.
Live that life, Datsun!

:trophy:

Oh, and thanks for the new sig line!
Someone told me years ago that you never see a hearse being followed by an armored car. - Datsun240Z71

Return to “General Watch talk”