Smart Watches Outselling Traditional Watches

Digital and Smart watches
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Smart Watches Outselling Traditional Watches

Post by koimaster » September 16th 2019, 3:40pm

Apple, Samsung and Fitbit have now entered the top five list alongside Rolex and Patek Philippe as the best-selling watch brands in the US by value.

According to market research group NPD, sales of smart watches in the US have soared over the past year, rising by 24 percent in value over the first half of 2019 as opposed to the same period in 2018. Even more impressively, smart watches have seen a 51 percent increase in dollar sales and a 61 percent increase in unit sales in 2018 alone. While traditional watches accounted for 56 percent of the value of total watches sold in the US last year, smart watches actually outsold traditional models in the fourth quarter, making up 55 percent of total sales during the holiday period. NPD now estimates the smart watch market to be a $5 billion USD industry.

https://hypebeast.com/2019/9/smart-watc ... arket-info

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Smart Watches Outselling Traditional Watches

Post by TemerityB » September 16th 2019, 5:33pm

And ...?

Let 'em sell, and who cares. It reminds me of George Carlin's old line about why it's dumb to dislike gay people: "So? More pussy for me!"

So, the way I see it, more smart watches that are sold, the more traditional watches are available for me.

Smart, schmart - what's in my watch box? West side!
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » September 16th 2019, 5:47pm

TemerityB wrote:
September 16th 2019, 5:33pm
And ...?

Let 'em sell, and who cares. It reminds me of George Carlin's old line about why it's dumb to dislike gay people: "So? More pussy for me!"

So, the way I see it, more smart watches that are sold, the more traditional watches are available for me.

Smart, schmart - what's in my watch box? West side!
Agreed and a great way to look at it.
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 16th 2019, 9:48pm

When I deal with a guy in business wearing a decent watch, I assume he's a serious man. When I deal with a guy wearing a smartwatch, I assume he's a fucking lemming.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » September 17th 2019, 5:39am

They have their place and that place is the watch counter next to the smart phones at Best Buy. Only place I have ever seen one but then again I dont get out like I used to.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
bbattle

Post by bbattle » September 17th 2019, 5:19pm

Watches are hit and miss where I work. I've noticed one Apple watch, one Fitbit, one Fossil and this guy that rotates multiple Baume & Mercier watches.

The vast majority dig out their phones to check the time.

The hope is that the crappy brands will die off first and the good brands will survive the smartwatch craze. The reality will likely not be that way.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » September 17th 2019, 8:33pm

Things cycle in and out of fashion. Watches do and I expect things will come full circle once smart watches reach saturation and people look for a change.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
bbattle

Post by bbattle » November 3rd 2019, 4:00pm

While at a party the other night, the subject of watches came up(not sure how, must've been something I said). Anyhow. These two guys claim to be "passionate about watches; they both have Rolexes, Omegas, etc. and they just LOVE watches.

I noticed both were wearing Apple smart watches.

My worry about smart watches is that they'll run traditional watchmakers out of business and leave us with Invicta, SO, and StartKicker dreck.

But I suppose if mechanicals have survived the superior time mechanisms of quartz and digital; they will survive smartness.
bbattle

Post by bbattle » November 3rd 2019, 5:30pm

tomsimac wrote:
November 3rd 2019, 5:28pm
We will most likely have millions of vintage watches available. Imagine a resale price on a five year old smart watch, eventually thrown away. Scratched up, zero value. Can’t repair.
.....a reusable washable condom
Very true. Smart watches are disposable watches.

Return to “Digital Watches”