koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Frederique Constant Caliber FC-303

Post by koimaster » September 10th 2019, 8:17am

frederique-constant-caliber-fc-303/
[attachment=1]Frederique caliber 3032.JPG

http://calibercorner.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Frederique Constant Caliber FC-303

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 10th 2019, 8:39am

Well, looks like FC - in order to modify the SW-200 - did exactly nothing. The finishing is unbelievably boring. The average modern Tissot will have its 2824 (or the Powermatic 80) finished far better than that.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 11th 2019, 7:36am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
September 10th 2019, 8:39am
Well, looks like FC - in order to modify the SW-200 - did exactly nothing. The finishing is unbelievably boring. The average modern Tissot will have its 2824 (or the Powermatic 80) finished far better than that.
That looks maybe like a house shot of the movement for illustrative purposes made to look cased up; nice giant plastic retainer ring, ehh? The variation in the tone of the metal and the, uhh, what, mock-flourentine finish applied with a Fordham to the rotor is crap but couldn't have ever been meant for Freddy C's AD's showrooms- hopefully- I think of these guys as one of the good guys. Alpina, too.

I've never seen a movement in a FC under glass without the rotor decorated and sometimes bridges and whatnot also, too. I've also never seen behind one of their solid case backs, though I'd guess they do a little something in those, too. I made a cursory check at Caliber corner for a blurb about where the model of movement appeared in what models but abandoned my effort prior to locating the piece. Because, well, you know.

Cool looking Healey, Bud.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » September 12th 2019, 3:56pm

3Flushes wrote:
September 11th 2019, 7:36am
That looks maybe like a house shot of the movement for illustrative purposes made to look cased up; nice giant plastic retainer ring, ehh? The variation in the tone of the metal and the, uhh, what, mock-flourentine finish applied with a Fordham to the rotor is crap but couldn't have ever been meant for Freddy C's AD's showrooms- hopefully- I think of these guys as one of the good guys. Alpina, too
The lighting certainly makes it look like that, but it doesn't appear to be a render or a montage of any sort. Besides, Caliber Corner have the photographs and data for their entries from watchmakers. My friend - who services my watches - also has supplied some photos and data for the site, that including those of movements in my watches (with my full permission to do so). Their entries for the Certina 25-66M and the Eterna 520U feature the movements from my Certina Club 2000 and the '52 Eterna ref.106BDT.
If anything, they either use complete stock images from the manufacturers (and under their consent), or photographs supplied by acquainted watchmakers.

Frankly, I think that FC has simply been cutting corners on the movement finishing in models not featuring a display back. As for the spacer ring, I suppose that's the way it's done in a shitload of watches from various brands - the 12.5''' 2824/SW-200 is something like 25-26mm in diameter, so if the watch in question is, say, 43-44mm, that gives us a spare space of 18mm or thereabouts, of which 2-3mm will be the actual wall of the case. This, in turn, means roughly 15mm of empty space, which is more weight- and cost-effective to fill with a plastic spacer than filling it with steel.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas

Return to “The Art of Time”