The Phases of Collecting Watches

MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The Phases of Collecting Watches

Post by MAX » August 15th 2019, 7:39am

None of the above but close to 11.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 15th 2019, 5:21pm

That curve looks to be an accurate representation of anal sphincter strain as some of us older members strain to get our once weekly poo out.

Just saying...
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 17th 2019, 3:07pm

Why, I don't really fit into that scheme. The first watch I've bought was a Timex Expedition, then I had an Atlantic quartz, two heirloom Soviet watches (Start and Raketa), two Swatches, a cheap Lorus (at the lowest end of what Seiko has to offer), even - aaarghhh - two Fossils. Then I received an Edox for my 18th, then I bought the 1939 Tissot at the flea market, and so it went on and on.

I don't like being called an "expert", as that puts me in the same bucket as those who proclaim themselves experts. Been called that at WUS, and all I could say was "please don't", because that's WUS, and at WUS you can't even tell people to fuck off, when they need to be told to fuck off.

I was never obsessed with Seiko, I don't think that TAG Heuer makes shitty watches, haven't owned any of the "shitty Swiss" sort, I never had a Rolex.

I might be the Vintage Bloke alright, but not the sort mentioned on this diagram. "It's vintage, bitch!" sounds like one of those pretentious Jessie boys, who tag their blurry photos on Instagram with #hodinkee, so that - hopefully, they think - some intern at the Donkey Den, tasked with scrolling and "liking", will jerk them off with a press of the "like" button.

As for "smartass", dunno. I certainly did put smartasses in their place on a few occasions, but really dunno if that makes me "not a smartass" or just a higher class of smartass.

"Been there." Well, we've all been somewhere, be it here, there, or anywhere, at some point.

"Settle with 'the one' " or "three-watch collection" load of bollocks doesn't sing to me. So, fuck that shite.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » Yesterday, 1:40pm

gerdson wrote:
Yesterday, 9:38am
Maybe I need to tell You this is meant to be a joke. :mrgreen:
Hang around the WUS Public Forum for a while, and with spot-on representations of these "stages" there, regrettably, it won't look like one anymore.
:chump:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » Yesterday, 2:37pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Yesterday, 1:40pm
gerdson wrote:
Yesterday, 9:38am
Maybe I need to tell You this is meant to be a joke. :mrgreen:
Hang around the WUS Public Forum for a while, and with spot-on representations of these "stages" there, regrettably, it won't look like one anymore.
:chump:
I would have to say the Bloke has got you there. They just stop at #7.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » Today, 7:58am

lol
I do agree there is a bit of truth in it, all I meant is: I didn't post it here in order to have every member "fess up" about where they are located at present. Myself, I jumped straight from 1 to 5, am now sometimes in 6 with tendency to 7, and due to other priorities are sometimes thinking about taking a shortcut to 9.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “General Watch talk”