Advice needed

bbattle
Facebook ID: 0

Advice needed

Post by bbattle » August 14th 2019, 4:26pm

I'd like to give some watches as gifts but my sons-in-law and grandson-in-law don't seem to be interested in watches.

How to tell if their indifference is due to a lack of awareness of all that horological coolness or just satisfaction in what their smart phone tells them?

I realize my granddaughters are a hopeless lot. If it's not an app on a smartphone, it doesn't exist. Outside the cell phone universe, only macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets are real.

Really, I'm looking for a pipeline to unload watches that no longer hold my interest. I got started with a couple of Citizen eco-drives that are just collecting dust now. Would Goodwill take them? I've taken a survey of the wrists I work with. Nearly all of them are bare and suffer from repetitive stress due to constantly looking at their cell phones.

I hate cell phones.
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time

Re: Advice needed

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 14th 2019, 5:11pm

I might sound a wee bit rough at times, but...
bbattle wrote:
August 14th 2019, 4:26pm
I'd like to give some watches as gifts but my sons-in-law and grandson-in-law don't seem to be interested in watches.
Then it sounds like you'd like to give hair combs to the bald. Although that they might simply not feel the urge to buy a watch, doesn't mean that they wouldn't appreciate one as a gift.
bbattle wrote:
How to tell if their indifference is due to a lack of awareness of all that horological coolness or just satisfaction in what their smart phone tells them?
And how do I tell tomorrow's winning lottery numbers?
bbattle wrote:
I realize my granddaughters are a hopeless lot. If it's not an app on a smartphone, it doesn't exist. Outside the cell phone universe, only macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets are real.
Sounds like a recipe for a quickly progressing degradation of eyesight, not to mention obesity resulting in hypertension and other circulatory issues.
Take them backpacking/camping, and make sure there's not a single power socket within miles. Then you'll all start whining about what a shithole you've found yourselves in, and to find a respite from the whining, they'll start appreciating the landscape. Trust me, a no-electronics trip is very liberating. And when there will be no mac & cheese or nuggets within miles either, canned sardines will suddenly become less terrifying. Dang, I never liked spam before I've done some long-distance cycling (with a tent) as a teenager. Guess that every now and then, having not is what makes us realize, that making do with what we do have can be somewhat amusing, and in the process, we begin to appreciate what we have.
If it fails...well...sometimes, that's just the way it is.
bbattle wrote:
Really, I'm looking for a pipeline to unload watches that no longer hold my interest. I got started with a couple of Citizen eco-drives that are just collecting dust now. Would Goodwill take them? I've taken a survey of the wrists I work with. Nearly all of them are bare and suffer from repetitive stress due to constantly looking at their cell phones.
Let's look at it this way - if you give these Eco-Drives to them, and they'll have them collect dust, it'll be their problem, not yours.

Frankly, I really don't know how to help here. I'm not a clairvoyant, nor am I some miracle man who'd pull off something along the lines of Neil Diamond's Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show, and suddenly turn the watch-ignorant into enthusiasts. What I am is a WIS, a collector, and a grump.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 14th 2019, 5:50pm

This forum holds charity auctions where members donate watches etc, members bid on them and charities such as st. Jude, shriner and others receive funds.

bbattle wrote:

I hate cell phones.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 14th 2019, 6:17pm

Donate to the WL charity auctions. The money raised helps kids in need and other great causes, and your watches will find a new home.

I have given away several watches that I have won in our auctions, one to our ACFO who loves it and wears it daily. Others to friends and family.
Last edited by biglove on August 14th 2019, 7:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 14th 2019, 10:06pm

Kids love G-Shocks. Gees are cool. Anything else you give 'em will, as Mr. Bloke says above, will collect dust.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » August 15th 2019, 3:39am

You never know.............
I have gifted many BASM's (nvicta automatic pro-divers before that) to non-watch wearing friends, neighbors and relatives. Now 90% of them wear watches every day.

One neighbor broke the sapphire crystal on his gifted pro-diver unhooking a chain binder. Distraught that it happened, he sent the watch to a jeweler for crystal replacement and swung by to apologize to me what he had done.

You never know.

Russian ^ leader ............. ^ Democrat
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 15th 2019, 3:11pm

bbattle wrote:
August 15th 2019, 2:46pm
Thanks for the useful and entertaining advice. I'll donate the Citizens to the charity drive here.

And wait for one of my relatives to notice at least one of my watches.
My two oldest grandsons (I have 3) love watches. Over the years I have given them many and my son as well. Their favorites are G-Shocks, one of which I took off my wrist and gave to my eldest grandson. My daughter loves watches as well. I think it is something you develop over the years, around the 20th time you have smacked yourself in the head with your iPhone.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “General Watch talk”