Invicta watches - bad?

steve146

Invicta watches - bad?

Post by steve146 » August 10th 2010, 8:59am

Being fairly new to watch "collecting" I got pulled in by Shop, value pays and all the presentations on Invicta.
Although I hate the way Invicta is presented on Shop at times, especially with Jimbo yelling, screaming and warning of imminent "sellouts" I really like some of their watches!
They seem to be well made and good values.
I know there have been "honesty" issues as well.
I picked up a few Subaqua Noma IV's and a Pro Diver with the Valjoux 7750.
I got some great deals on the IV's @ WOW for under $300.
I'm not purchasing these hoping that they'll retain or go up in value .. I have a couple of Rolex watches for that!
I just like the way they look and the attention they grab, good or bad.
Am I wrong to be supporting them?
Ditchdoc

Re: Invicta watches - bad?

Post by Ditchdoc » August 10th 2010, 9:05am

I've had many Invictas over the years (SAIII, Sea Vultures, etc.). Honestly the only attention they ever "grabbed" was in a freakish manner. Like "good god at the size of that watch" and those were only occasionally. Most don't even notice.

Invicta makes a decent $100 watch. If you pay more than that IMO, you're getting ripped off.

Having said that, if YOU like them, that's all that matters.

Post by Guest » August 10th 2010, 9:12am

Yes, the big I has some good watches. The 40mm ProDivers with Miyota movements are good watches. Solidly built and they look nice.

The original Grand Divers are also quite good.

They also have plenty of crap. Look at the SubAqua Specialty with the bezel screws and case back screws going all the way through to really sandwich the watch together. Anyone who questioned that was mocked...well guess what, when the fake bezel screws fell out of some...it just was not a good thing.

As they try more and more to pump out more junk in more colors the quality just goes down and down...glued on logos falling off, hands falling off. There are so many quality issues that it is difficult to name them all.

Aside from the mountain of lies, the quality issues simply make the big I a brand whose quality is on par with the bargain fashion watches you can find at major department stores...you know the "Your choice 9.99" displays.

If you like them, fine. If you know what you are supporting and are ok with it then go right ahead.
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » August 10th 2010, 9:17am

In my opinion, yes you are wrong in supporting them.

You are financially supporting a company that has at a minimum been exposed for outright lying to sell product, committing fraud (Swissgate), and has several current lawsuits filed for theft of design.

In essence you are trying to have it both ways, you like their product but hate their business practices. Either you take a stand and stop supporting their antics with your hard earned money or you can just consider yourself a revenue stream still be cultivated by the hype. What's worse is you are fully aware you are being taken for a ride by an unethical company and you still give them your money.

Sorry to be harsh, but that is how I see it.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 10th 2010, 9:36am

Are you wrong in supporting them?........A matter of opinion and perspective I guess. Iown a few, would never spend any more money on them but that is a personal choice.

If you like something and can afford to pay for it, buy it.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » August 10th 2010, 10:21am

Based on the outright fraud they'd perpetrated, the terrible quality of their CS, and the lack of character of the people who represent them? Not buying Invicta is a no-brainer for me. Plus, ShopNBC simply can't get the job done in fulfilling orders, at least IMHO.

That being said, I can't cast aspersions on what anyone else likes, or might want to do. All I can do is present facts, and let people make up their own minds.

One of the reasons I love this site is that koi's efforts remind me of the original Fast Food Nation book, where it clearly and factually detailed how hamburger and meat is made, and how fast food companies operate. At the end of the book, the author simply said, basically, here are the facts - it's up to you to make wise choices.

I think this blog is REALLY akin to that type of thing. We just use rougher language. :)
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » August 10th 2010, 10:39am

There are still some good Invictas to be had,but you need a combination of knowledge and good luck to get one that is truly trouble free. Though plagued by many problems in the more recently released models there are a few that, despite zero QC and CS, slip through the cracks.
The problem with Invicta today is that it is a high percentage risk.
Five or six years ago the quality was much better and cases of defective watches were much rarer.
In the past 5 years or so it has been a steady down hill spiral in overall quality but the BS has become so strong that many just don't see it.The older Invictas that I have are in a completely different league than the stuff they put out today.
I have an old "Elite" Speedway that far surpasses in build any Reserve pieces I have seen in person.

Post by Guest » August 10th 2010, 1:57pm

I have to agree with Lies & Temerity on this one. I started buying infectya back in '98. when they made a watch and ran out, it was gone. then around 2004 they started this current spiral-down bullshit and expanded models and repeats and they turn into crap and that's when all the lying began.......they and the geeks and Shop are doomed. I believe late spring of 2011.........GONE.
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » August 10th 2010, 3:32pm

They do make (or used to make) some decent watches. Anyone who says the 8926 I bought for $68 is not worth it, is just full of crap in my book. That said, I've never had any real problems with the Invictas I purchased. All the horror stories though have convinced me to never pay more than say $100 bucks for an Invicta. First sign of a problem-just cut your losses and throw the thing away.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Post by Guest » August 10th 2010, 5:02pm

ok, this is a Really geekie statement and I will hate myself for this, but here, THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. I have 24 infectyas, and only one had a problem, and it was me today. I TOTALLY deconstructed a cheap Invicta........Im the NEW INFUCKYA JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you shall see soon........dunt da dunteeeeeee duh da dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn dunt da dunteeeeeeeeeee duh da dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ...........sing along......lol

Post by Guest » August 24th 2010, 8:59am

you have the right to spend your money on anything you like. that being said, when your are reading about and listening to all the people burned by invicta, coupled with the absolute deception on their part you will only have yourself to blame when you get burned, and you will get burned. I bought 19 with 8 winding up being defective in some manner, before I realized something wasnt right. that was before I read one word about invicta on this or any other site. listen to these collectors they are telling you the truth. I guess some of us will always stick our hand in the flame to see if it is hot. bones666
eddiea

Post by eddiea » August 24th 2010, 10:07am

steve146 wrote:
Am I wrong to be supporting them?

Ask yourself ... why do I need to ask that question here to begin with?... good luck with your own answer. Image

Post by Guest » August 24th 2010, 10:25am

The real answer is "why do you even question this"?

Walk briskly away from that Yellow Bandwagon.

Did you ever see that episode from TAGS? (The Andy Griffith Show)
Where the Gypsies would come back to town, over and over, and
hock their wares. singing the same song, over and over
every time that the Sheriff would come by?

It's the same with Invicta.

Step away. The sooner the better!
Just like a really bad song that is stuck in your head.
Last edited by Guest on August 31st 2010, 1:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
TimeMachine

Post by TimeMachine » August 24th 2010, 10:36am

I've been buying Invictas for about the past three years, and I like the watches I've purchased, I like the design and think I got a good value for my money. But, I have now stopped buying any more, not because I don't like them any more, I still think they have some nice models and good values, but because I choose not to support their unscrupulous buisness practice. They have terrible CS, they have no hesitation to rip off designs from others (including patent violations), and have been caught in one blatant lie after another (Swiss = Swiss Made; working closely with DD; crystals = diamonds .... just to name a few). I do like some of the new models, and sometimes I am tempted, but I can't in good conscience know that my money has gone to support a company with a complete lack of eithical buisiness practices.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 24th 2010, 11:46am

Timemachine,

So glad you brought that up. At least three dozen times on various websites I've read complaints by watch buyers that they sent a new dud purchase back to IWG for "service," along with the $28 or whatever fee it was for doing so. In all of these cases, the watches were sent back untouched; or with additional problems or scratches; or in different boxes than they were sent in with.

Ask yourself this: Do you want to put up with CS that's a complete sham? Why would you trade with a company that doesn't even stock parts for current models of its watches? Indeed...what is the appeal of this company? Other than some shill on TV telling you to "don't think, just buy"?
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Post by Guest » August 24th 2010, 5:06pm

Let me complete Boscoe's syllojism. All men are mortal, but few Invictas or watchgeeks are both handsome and reliable. And bones666's comment brings back a childhood memory seared into my memory which is akin to buying an Invicta today. I was about five and wanted to see for myself if the glowing red coil of the cigarette lighter in my dad's Oldsmobile was hot. My thumb still hurts.
Last edited by Guest on August 24th 2010, 5:26pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Because I had like six beers and failed typing and logic. Aw fuck it, I had to add "or watchgeeks " on the secong go round.

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”