Sequent Supercharger, the first self-winding smartwatch

Digital and Smart watches
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Sequent Supercharger, the first self-winding smartwatch

Post by Racer-X » July 5th 2017, 8:54pm

by Robin Nooy "Smartwatches; what to do with them? Embrace them? Bann them entirely? Or, perhaps, if you are positive, try and adapt it into your (haute) horology lifestyle? If you have been following us for the last few years, you might recall that we have always been highly skeptical towards the “smart” revolution in watchmaking. We have yet to stumble upon a project that truly wins us over. We, at Monochrome, have a sort of love-hate relationship with them. But, in all fairness, we keep our eyes open to those that might tick all boxes, like this next Kickstarter project: The Sequent Supercharger, the first self-winding / self-charging / cable-free smartwatch."

Article at Monochrome

Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Sequent Supercharger, the first self-winding smartwatch

Post by gerdson » July 5th 2017, 9:32pm

Ok, I gave them a chance now. Maybe it arrives in time before Christmas. Thanks for posting.
I already got a watch in last year, through kickstarter, and that was a POS, kind of. :scratch:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » June 30th 2018, 1:26am

Almost a year has gone now, and I still don*t have the watch. I must concede, they are really sending constant status updates. Pre-production has started now, so hopefully it is not more than another 3 months... :scratch:
They met all kind of issues, e.g. quality problems with the "heartbeat-sensor" and a major supplier terminating the contract.

My investment into this watch is not so high, a total of about 200 USD, but I am now really looking forward to "get something for the money", verdammt.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » August 17th 2019, 2:03am

The gerdson never jokes...
Anyways, the watch has now finally arrived, they obviously really started to fulfill the orders - almost 2 years after launch. They have sent constant updates on status, production (issues) and further progress, but as You can imagine (and read on the comments at kickstarter.com), such a long time span was the cause for quite some resents from the backers ;-)
In addition, the functionality is not (yet) quite what was promised. Eg because it consumed too much energy, for now they have switched of the GPS tracking, and even a simple notification from the phone to the watch doesn't work. The latter obviously because it would require the watch to constantly "listen" on bluetooth. They promise to come with some app- and firmware updates though. But as it is right now, the watch only shows the time, can count the heartbeat, the energy produced through the "automatic wind", and count steps. That is not so impressive...
It has an hour and a minute hand, and the two sub-dials are for "power reserve" (left) and "activity/day" (right)
(You can see two contacts, these are for charging - they added that late in the design when it obviously turned out that the built-in generator would not create enough energy to keep constant gps and bluetooth on anyways)
The quality appears ok. I bought the "cheapest version", which is aluminium / black pvd coated. Other options are stainless steel. The strap is very comfortable, but it is clumsy to operate the two pin-type buckles (at least when You are used good old ordinary straps with regular buckle)
I am now going to wear it for a while, let's see. Practically, I do have zero use for it, as it mostly only can show the time...
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 17th 2019, 8:46am

Damn, they set their functional goals too high, it seems.

Remember when this project started. They dreamed big and now realize why no one else has been able to do it.

That's a shame.
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » August 18th 2019, 1:37pm

Yeah. The whole buy makes me feel stupid, not smart, verdammt. I wanna be made whole. But for now I will wait for the next firmware. One watch more or less makes no difference.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 18th 2019, 1:52pm

gerdson wrote:
August 18th 2019, 1:37pm
Yeah. The whole buy makes me feel stupid, not smart, verdammt. I wanna be made whole. But for now I will wait for the next firmware. One watch more or less makes no difference.
WTF- sometimes we just gotta take a shot in this deal and who knows- maybe they will send it a signal one day and wake it the fuck up.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
bbattle (Online)

Post by bbattle » August 18th 2019, 3:52pm

Looks like it's part of the new Swatch "Bau" collection.

I admit to surfing through the Startkicking forum to see what is going on. If I do bite on one, I'll inform the Lords and if it comes to it, do the walk of shame and confess that the "visionaries" had absconded with my money and all I got was this shitty watch.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » August 19th 2019, 7:54am

It is appr 43mm. The acrylic crystal is high-domed, so one has to be careful not to scratch it (of course it can then be polished).

I would not call it a failure, despite of bugs and open issues they still managed to build a watch with a (still) very unique concept, and for a startup/very small team to solve all the issues they met still deserves respect. At least they do have mine, as a civil engineer working in a manufacturing company, I do have a rough idea on what struggles they went through when going from prototype to mass production.

But although I wish them all the best, at present I would not recommend to buy one either, before the promised functionality becomes available. Btw they are already about to launch another product.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

Return to “Digital Watches”