I need Your help here, verdammt!

gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: I need Your help here, verdammt!

Post by gerdson » December 8th 2015, 10:45pm

Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » December 8th 2015, 10:54pm

Dioblique is near you, he is kind of expensive, but good.
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-watch- ... aU0qUrHgZg
Or
http://stores.ebay.com/MartuStraps?_trk ... 7675.l2563
Both are the same.

I like the second one. Her buckles kind of suck, but I like her straps and prices. Plus, if I send her pictures of what I want, she does it.

Or, get a shark mesh and cut it to your needed specs.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » December 8th 2015, 11:23pm

I appreciate this, but please go back and take another look:
There is a piece of plastic sitting within the end of the strap. It has been covered delicately by thinly carved out alligator leather that has been glued to it. My wife is a saddle maker, and I do help her in her workshop sometimes. Believe me, I can estimate the number of hours that would go into this one. I don't even think 300 is enough to have such a strap custom made in high quality. Just to accurately cut this out of a thicker piece of leather with a knife is almost impossible, You can't simply cut these narrow 90 degree edges. The manufacturer did likely die-cut these.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » December 8th 2015, 11:26pm

gerdson wrote:That's fair enough, and I got that idea as well, in between. I could just try to find a nice 7765 dial now, for example. But I still hate the idea to spend a 200 plus on a hand made strap for a watch that is not quite to my taste.

I will damn sure give you props as the most patient watch collector on this site!

I would have blown a vessel by now!
"I'll give you 5 bucks to spank me with a dead duck!"-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » December 8th 2015, 11:46pm

gerdson wrote:I appreciate this, but please go back and take another look:
There is a piece of plastic sitting within the end of the strap. It has been covered delicately by thinly carved out alligator leather that has been glued to it. My wife is a saddle maker, and I do help her in her workshop sometimes. Believe me, I can estimate the number of hours that would go into this one. I don't even think 300 is enough to have such a strap custom made in high quality. Just to accurately cut this out of a thicker piece of leather with a knife is almost impossible, You can't simply cut these narrow 90 degree edges. The manufacturer did likely die-cut these.

You win, $200.00 a pop might be worth it. I am cheap, you should know that.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » December 19th 2015, 2:46am

Fick, verdammt. I just took another look. That 7753 will simply not fit into the Nivada case. The position of the bore for the stem doesn't match with the movement, when it is sitting where it should.

So I am back at almost zero. Will find a nice dial for the 7765 now and drop that into the Nivada case. E.g.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Valjoux-7765-cadran-/390904592344?hash=item5b03bab7d8:g:6BsAAOSwY45UT2G2
or something like that. And either put that 7753 back where it belongs, or find another case (more likely) :D

The quest goes on...
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » December 19th 2015, 10:14am

Haha, none so far.

The Valjoux 92 movement and case, we can't move on. The case is nice, but we can't find a suitable glas. I will put it aside. Too early to give up on this one...

The Valjoux 7753 - either I will put it back into the Wyler case (unlikely) or try to find another suitable case.

The Valjoux 7765 will find it's way into the black / stainless Nivada case. Please help me pick a suitable dial:

1) Image

More to be found here:
http://www.uhren-roemer.de/index.php?cl=search&searchparam=7765&pgNr=1

This one from ebay won't do anyways, as the case has a tachymeter already:

I do also like this one, but I would need a different date disk:

2) Maybe this one then:

Interesting color, but probably no good match to the case:
More can be found at ebay as well.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » June 19th 2019, 9:44am

I took bl's advice and had a drink or two. Now I am totally consternated, as more than 3 bloody years have passed. Anyways. I just bought another chronograph case. And I needed to go back and look at the dial option for the 7765 once more. And guess what...
Last edited by gerdson on June 19th 2019, 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » June 19th 2019, 9:55am

The case was offered as original Sinn / Guinand for Valjoux 7753. I do really hope it fits - as described above, the geometry on the 7753 appears a bit different from Your standard 7750.
The case - if it really is NOS from Sinn - should be in excellent quality. We will see...

Next, the dial:
No clue what SAF is supposed to be. Swedish Air Force... I would not mind, actually, but whatever. This is a full set with matching hands.

:D
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » June 19th 2019, 4:02pm

gerdson wrote:I took bl's advice and had a drink or two. Now I am totally consternated, as more than 3 bloody years have passed. Anyways. I just bought another chronograph case. And I needed to go back and look at the dial option for the 7765 once more. And guess what...

Damn, you are a man of persistence and focus. Hell, I forgot what I ate for breakfast.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » May 22nd 2020, 4:58am

Dammit, another 6 months have gone by with none of these projects really moving.

In the meantime...

I got contacted here on the forum by someone with additional information on the Wyler Vetta Chronograph, pointing out the movement being a rather rare version of the Valjoux 7753, not requiring an additional pusher for the date quickset. Which is correct, quickset is through the crown. That again got me thinking, that this really is no 7753 (as the base plate is also simply signed 7750), but instead a custom-built modification. I had anyways wondered a bit about this - the 7753 became first available in 2002 or so, but the Wyler Vetta did appear a bit older (but I might be wrong about that).
Well, that, plus the obvious reservations of many here with regards to this atrocity of butchering this otherwise well-made watch made me change my mind anyways. I have built the whole thing back and re-assembled the Wyler Vetta. Here is the proof:

Instead I bought a "true" 7753. Or so I thought. Fuck, verdammt. What arrived was a true beauty, obviously an "elaboré" version:

Alas... I had not read the fine print. It is a 7753, but a special version without the hour counter at 6 o'clock. No doubt this could be easily altered by adding a wheel or two, and a different date disk. But...

What I could (and likely will do) instead is to go and find a suitable dial for this special version. Reason is also, that the current dial is a wee bit too small (probably missing half a mm, but it shows), for this Guinand case. And it has to be this case (or another one particularly built for either the 7753 or 7751, which seems to have that special extra pusher at the same location). Of all the parts You see here, the dial was the cheapest, so I will consider swapping that first.

So here I have the dial put on for trial (that is when I noticed the missing 12 h counter shaft), but not the hands. You can also see the date window does fit much better than on the Wyler Vetta movement, but still not properly - that is because on this movement it should actually sit at 6 o'clock. That however would be an easy fix, by using a different date disk.

Main challenge will now be to obtain a dial for this Valjoux movement. But here is how it is later going to look like from the back:

Please. Do stay tuned!
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
bobbee
Master of Time

Post by bobbee » May 22nd 2020, 7:47am

Lovely indeed.
There are rings that could be fitted to make the gap between the outer edge of the minutes track and the inside edge of the case smaller, and as you say a different date ring would fix the alignment.
That dial is cool, way cool.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » May 22nd 2020, 8:54pm

Talk about going down the rabbit hole.

Cool Wyler, very unique. Glad you put it all back together.

That elabore movement, WOW!
Last edited by biglove on May 23rd 2020, 7:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » May 23rd 2020, 11:21am

Nuvolari wrote:
May 22nd 2020, 2:25pm
I thought I was the only one with wandering-scope never-ending projects!
The journey is the reward. Watchmaker is coming for a visit on Wednesday. For once I have him by the balls, as I can buy cheap stuff over the border in Krautland, and he can not. 😀
(Actually he is a very nice person)
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

Return to “General Watch talk”