Ebola outbreak continues...

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Ebola outbreak continues...

Post by biglove » July 13th 2014, 9:15pm

Like the fears about HIV, the Ebola virus spread continues to worsen, fed by ignorance and fear...

If this thing had an incubation a couple of weeks longer, we would be witnessing the end of mankind as we know it. A global pandemic that would make the Black Death look like child's play.

Ebola, at least in this incarnation, is not the virus capable of such. But, such a virus is out there in the wild, somewhere. It is only a matter of time...

http://af.reuters.com/article/guineaNew ... 13?sp=true
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Ebola outbreak continues...

Post by conjurer » July 13th 2014, 10:40pm

Quite so. Ebola was made famous by Richard Preston in his 1994 bestselling non-fiction book The Hot Zone, about an Ebola outbreak in a medical monkey supply house in Reston, Virginia. In this book Preston gets all dramatic, telling how the Ebola virus turns human flesh into liquid, and how people stricken with it literally dissolve while still drawing breath.

In David Quammen's 2012 book Spillover, he quotes several major scientists and doctors who say that Preston's claims are bullshit; and while Ebola is pretty fucking horrible, with a 90% fatality rate, it is actually a "failed" virus, in that it kills its host far too quickly. Indeed, the only way to catch Ebola (apart from in the wild) is usually by catching it from somebody already deathly ill from it--which usually means health care providers who are taking care of Ebola victims. As BL says, generally Ebola outbreaks tend to burn themselves out, since everybody who catches it either dies or is put in some sort of quarantine and eventually recovers. Most outbreaks tended to be in small African villages, where elders and medicinemen would quarantine victims in outlying structures. While this was tough titty for the affilicted, it usually meant that the outbreaks would burn out quickly.

However, the most recent outbreak in west Africa spans three different countries, and Doctors Without Borders, who have been doing the grunt work in this, claim they are overstretched and ineffective. Also, instead of burning through outlying villages, Ebola is boiling through large cities with populations of over a million.

At any rate, if you start dissolving, contact your doctor immediately.
Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Luftwafflles » July 26th 2014, 3:45pm

I think a much bigger problem will be the thousands of infected turd worlders streaming across our borders with diseases rarely seen in our country for decades.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 26th 2014, 3:47pm

Luftwafflles wrote:I think a much bigger problem will be the thousands of infected turd worlders streaming across our borders with diseases rarely seen in our country for decades.

Certainly an issue but few diseases have the 60-90% mortality Ebola does.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 28th 2014, 7:18am

"Adding to the risks, Nigerian doctors are on strike over conditions and pay. Chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association Tope Ojo was quoted in local media on Saturday as saying the strike would not be called off despite the Ebola threat."

Well, isn't that just dandy...

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/id ... 8?irpc=932
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » July 28th 2014, 7:38am

I think we need more threads like this, perhaps with daily updates

Here's the top 10, we could begin a new one each morning so we can start the day right.

- HIV/AIDS
- Ebola, Hanta & Hemorrhagic Fevers (started but so much to work with)
- Rabies
- Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
- Naegleria (brain-eating amoeba) (lets save this one for a Friday thread)
- Mad-Cow Disease (yum, definitely a weekend thread)
- Leprosy
- Botulism
- Elephantiasis
- Polio (an oldie but a goodie)
Last edited by Horse Feathers on July 28th 2014, 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 28th 2014, 8:32am

iwasbanned wrote:I watched "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" this weekend. This is how it starts. Those damn dirty apes!

How was it? Have heard the CGI is amazing?

Was in New Orleans in a hotel next to the city blocks where they were filming it last year. The scenes with the street cars decaying and overgrown jungle in the city streets. Was a massive undertaking for sure!
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » July 28th 2014, 8:36am

The drug-resistant bacteria infections ain't no joke; my sister nearly died of one some years back, and was only saved when her docs got their hands on the latest, super-high-tech antibiotics.

Unfortunately, none of the big drug companies are producing super-high-tech antibiotics anymore. These are ruinously expensive to produce, and tend to become ineffective within a few years; so Big Pharma is concentrating on a new generation of boner pills.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » July 28th 2014, 8:45am

biglove wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:I watched "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" this weekend. This is how it starts. Those damn dirty apes!

How was it? Have heard the CGI is amazing?

Was in New Orleans in a hotel next to the city blocks where they were filming it last year. The scenes with the street cars decaying and overgrown jungle in the city streets. Was a massive undertaking for sure!

Movie was surprisingly good.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » July 28th 2014, 6:42pm

jason_recliner wrote:Note to Africa: Stop having sex with monkeys.

Stop having unprotected sex with monkeys. Be reasonable, goddamit.
Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Luftwafflles » July 28th 2014, 10:03pm

Caught c-diff when I was in the hospital a few years ago. Almost killed me. And talk about a ...er... shitty situation.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 28th 2014, 10:14pm

Luftwafflles wrote:Caught c-diff when I was in the hospital a few years ago. Almost killed me. And talk about a ...er... shitty situation.

Stuff is godawful! Have seen it kill people firsthand when it can't be stopped. Dehydration and electrolyte anomalies.

Not the most pleasant smell and talk about a sore butthole!

Glad you made it through!

Folks often take the issues of communicable diseases too lightly. Have seen too many people die of bacterial and viral infections.

The preparations that were discussed with healthcare workers after 9/11 were spooky with the concern over weaponized smallpox.

Somewhere in nature lurks an organism that will eventually have it's way with mankind, to the tune of millions or even billions dead in just months. It has happened too many times in the past and it will happen again.

When it does, you won't see our family out in public if there is any way possible to avoid it!
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 1st 2014, 12:33pm

So the CDC is flying Ameicans infected with Ebola inTO the US this weekend. They will be quarantined at Emory.

Anyone else see this as quite possibly the dumbest fucking idea, well, ever?!

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola- ... ts-n170461

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”