New Orient ER1W002D

wottime
Facebook ID: 0

New Orient ER1W002D

Post by wottime » April 5th 2012, 5:54pm

Recieved my new Orient ER1W002D earlier this week. Never written review, not a writer in the least. Some simple facts...Like most Orients, it is automatic. Caliber movement 48743, made in Japan. Brushed SS case. Exhibition caseback. Blue dial w/carbon fiber appearance. Not sure if it actually is in fact carbon fiber, but doubt it. White hour markers, with green luminescence, that are trimmed in silver. 42.5mm width. 11.5 mm thick. On the OWUSA website video, Mark states that it has a saphire crystal, but I can not substantiate that on OWUSA, or anyother website. SS strap leaves a lot to be desired. Clasp is double push button, and seems adequate. Overall, this is my first Orient, and ashamed to say first automatic, and am very pleased. Attractive, simply stated watch. Paid $130.00 for it and feel like I got a decent deal. ImageImageImageImage
themadhungarian

Re: New Orient ER1W002D

Post by themadhungarian » April 5th 2012, 6:20pm

I like it. The carbon fiber dial is a plus for me and as I understand it Orient does not have a reputation for misleading claims or outright lies so why doubt the dial or crystal? Congratulations on a nice watch at a great price.
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » April 5th 2012, 6:28pm

themadhungarian wrote:I like it. The carbon fiber dial is a plus for me and as I understand it Orient does not have a reputation for misleading claims or outright lies so why doubt the dial or crystal?

Agreed. If anything Orient tends to undersell themselves a little.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
wottime

Post by wottime » April 5th 2012, 6:45pm

themadhungarian wrote:I like it. The carbon fiber dial is a plus for me and as I understand it Orient does not have a reputation for misleading claims or outright lies so why doubt the dial or crystal? Congratulations on a nice watch at a great price.

I guess the only reason I doubted was lack of knowledge. Plus was thinking that for the price I paid, if it was a saphire dial and carbon fiber dial, I got an even better deal. Just seemed too good to be true. I have got taken for much less watches for much higher prices.
themadhungarian

Post by themadhungarian » April 5th 2012, 6:52pm

You've just had what the WIS would call a horological epiphany. Again, congratulations.
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » April 7th 2012, 6:15pm

wottime wrote:I guess the only reason I doubted was lack of knowledge. Plus was thinking that for the price I paid, if it was a saphire dial and carbon fiber dial, I got an even better deal. Just seemed too good to be true. I have got taken for much less watches for much higher prices.

There's the reason Orient has so many fans ;-)
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 7th 2012, 6:32pm

A very nice Orient, wottime, and a good review and pics of it!

Bedlam is correct that Orient generally undersells their wares a bit; however, the claims of Mark at OUSA should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt. I would go by what Orient puts on the caseback--if it doesn't say sapphire, it probably isn't. However, at the price you paid, you got a great watch.
wottime

Post by wottime » April 7th 2012, 7:39pm

conjurer wrote:A very nice Orient, wottime, and a good review and pics of it!

Bedlam is correct that Orient generally undersells their wares a bit; however, the claims of Mark at OUSA should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt. I would go by what Orient puts on the caseback--if it doesn't say sapphire, it probably isn't. However, at the price you paid, you got a great watch.

Thank you, sir. And yeah, the info on the OWUSA website was vague about this watch, even the measurements were off. Researched the movement at other sites and found out that the movement is, according to a couple different sites, a 'made in japan' movement. Mark states within the first few seconds of the video that it is a saphire crystal, but I can not validate that on any other website. The caseback does not say saphire. Either way, without a saphire crystal, great deal. With saphire would just be the cats pajamas. Definitly a better feeling than when I realized what a POS my Invicta was AFTER I purchased it. Talk about buyer's remorse. This was my first Orient and already looking at next one to buy.
themadhungarian

Post by themadhungarian » April 8th 2012, 2:14am

I like their 'excursionist' despite the lack of handwinding. Take a look at it some time wottime.
spanky1

Post by spanky1 » April 8th 2012, 3:19am

Congratulations on a Great Watch. You have a watch with an In House Movement. Orients are touted for keeping very accurate time. Orients are a great value for the money.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » April 9th 2012, 10:01pm

Orient is one of those can't-go-wrong watch companies, though I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of their bracelets; the good news is that their rubber straps are excellent. You definitely got a good buy; congrats and enjoy that auto movement!
wottime

Post by wottime » April 15th 2012, 12:30pm

themadhungarian wrote:I like their 'excursionist' despite the lack of handwinding. Take a look at it some time wottime.

Excursionist is a sweet looking watch. Made in Japan Orient movement. Love the gray dial version. Nice clean dial. Bezel is a little busy, but not overstated. Great watch for the price. I have to agree with you, wish they had more movements with handwinding that are hackable, other that the M Force movement.
wottime

Post by wottime » April 15th 2012, 12:37pm

Mortuus wrote:Orient is one of those can't-go-wrong watch companies, though I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of their bracelets; the good news is that their rubber straps are excellent. You definitely got a good buy; congrats and enjoy that auto movement!

After having my Orient for a couple of weeks now, I like the watch even more. I would have paid more for a better bracelet. Made a rookie oversight, and didn't think about the narrow lug size requiring a odd and more rare bracelet. Other than that, I love having a watch that most folks have no idea what it is. Of course, little bit shelterred in "em err hills of WV."

Return to “The Watchlord Archives - The early years”