The Bronze Blue Bomber Begins A Pass Around Adventure!!!...

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: The Bronze Blue Bomber Begins A Pass Around Adventure!!!...

Post by conjurer » September 5th 2019, 9:20am

First pic of the Bomber in Washington state:

Interestingly, I wore the Bomber to work yesterday, and a funny thing happened. I had sold a chandelier to a Chinese guy about a week before, and he returned it yesterday to buy a larger one, as the first chandelier was too small. Anyway, he was wearing a Tooter Black Bay, and noticed the Bomber, and started talking about how nice it was. When I sold him the smaller chandelier, I was wearing my Exploder II, and didn't hear a peep about it.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by smellody » September 5th 2019, 9:45pm

conjurer wrote:
September 5th 2019, 9:20am
First pic of the Bomber in Washington state:

Interestingly, I wore the Bomber to work yesterday, and a funny thing happened. I had sold a chandelier to a Chinese guy about a week before, and he returned it yesterday to buy a larger one, as the first chandelier was too small. Anyway, he was wearing a Tooter Black Bay, and noticed the Bomber, and started talking about how nice it was. When I sold him the smaller chandelier, I was wearing my Exploder II, and didn't hear a peep about it.
Well done. Bomber brings bounty!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 6th 2019, 9:21am

Thunder1 wrote:
September 6th 2019, 3:15am
The Bronze Blue Bomber learning some of the ins and outs of Capitalism!!!..
Which is good, since it's going to Carl next.

**(@
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » September 6th 2019, 9:35am

Thunder1 wrote:
September 6th 2019, 9:23am
God save us all..
Perhaps he can put rubber strap on it and take it for a dive.......

or feed it to a roo.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 13th 2019, 4:55pm

OK, here are some of my humble impressions of the BBB. Alas, I've been pretty busy dealing with various shit over the last couple of weeks, and so wasn't able to take the Bomber to, say, look at the beautiful city of Aberdeen, WA. But I wore it a fair amount, so I was able to shoot a few pics and collate some info.

Let me say, right off the top, that I wanted to hate this watch. Not so much of the bronze thing, or the fact that Glycine's something of a WLs darling right now. It was the fact that IWG owns Glycine, and no matter how storied the brand, no matter how good it might have been pre-Lalo, there's still that taint.

However, when I got the watch (almost absurdly well packed by Dr. Smells), I was kinda impressed. Hmm, I thought, this isn't too fucking bad. Nice packaging, interesting look of the patina on the bronze, and a very pretty face, too:

Patina!!:

I wore it to work one day, which I commented about above. The bomber did color the skin of my wrist, by the crown and on the other side, where the bronze made contact with my skin. The back is, thankfully, stainless steel:

Regarding the "old penny" smell some people have spoken of--I didn't notice it much at all; I had to hold the watch to my nose, where I could smell it a little bit.

The Bomber isn't a small watch, but it's well sized at 42.3mm across, 46.7mm with crown, 50mm lug to lug, 22mm lug size, and only 10.5mm tall, making it very wearable. The strap was pretty long, and I had to wear it on the last hole. Another downer was the buckle, which is signed:

But appears to be PVD plated stainless.

As I said above, it's easy to wear:

And thin:

The quality of the case seems to be on par with the $400-500 street price. The crown screws in nicely, with plenty of thread. The bezel has 120 clicks, with a nice, crisp action and no backplay. The glass is sapphire, the movement is (I suppose) either a stock 2824 or SW200 that Glycine claims they've modified. Another nice thing is that the movement is quite accurate, running about +5 seconds a day, which is far better than I expected, and considering the Bomber's already far-flung travels.

So, I was not hating this watch at all. It's pretty fucking good. Perhaps I should rethink the whole IWG hatred--maybe Eyal's turned over a new leaf and going out of his way to not fuck up Glycine. I like this watch. While I was wearing it, I found myself not wishing that I was wearing something else.

Next stop for the Bomber is the land down under!

**(@
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » September 13th 2019, 5:03pm

Nice, honest review and some good pics.

Maybe Carl will keep it in the ocean long enough to get rid of any rogue DNA.
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 13th 2019, 5:10pm

biglove wrote:
September 13th 2019, 5:03pm
Nice, honest review and some good pics.

Maybe Carl will keep it in the ocean long enough to get rid of any rogue DNA.
That would work if Australia's sea-water is mixed with Clorox.

**(@
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » September 15th 2019, 7:16am

This Glycine takes a good battering as it thumps its way about the place, and still runs 5 sec/day. I bet its waterproof too. IWG or not, that's better than my stupid forum-darling hipster gender-fluid vegan artisan independent batch-production wholesome Oris Sixty-five that gets offended if I don't wear it enough, loses time randomly, makes a noise if you flick your wrist a bit, can't hold a charge for 38hr and I think gets a small bloom of condensation under the crystal in hot weather, that later disappears. No wonder Oris calls them "real watches for real snowflakes"!
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » October 9th 2019, 11:10pm

I don't recall volunteering to be on the rotation for this, cos bronze dive watches give me severe reflux, but then I might have been half-cut one night.

The Glycine has arrived safely from casa Conj and is going for a dive this Sunday ;-)
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » October 10th 2019, 3:37am

Damn, Beds, what would a proper 'Pass Around' be if you weren't involved?...see, you were drafted to pull this all important WL duty..now, we don't mind it attending a few street marches or a coup d'état or two, but please don't try to feed it to eels or sharks, sir..
Last edited by Thunder1 on October 10th 2019, 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » October 10th 2019, 5:24am

:Thumbsup:
Carl, we really appreciate Your willingness to try this out, and remember You can always use one of these funny strap extensions and wear a triple layer dry suit underneath.

Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » October 12th 2019, 10:04pm

Put the Bomber on an Isofrane and we went for a swim this morning. Some pics...

Thoughts on the watch; the bezel and crown actions are quite good. The case size is spot on...but its made of bronze and that is shit.

The bezel being partially indexed affects utility but what is there is easy to read underwater, as is the dial.

The watch is decently made and coped with the dive without incident. Not really my cup of tea, though it was nice to have the chance to use a bronze watch and largely confirm my expectations. The salt water has accelerated the tarnish of the case metal and its appreciably darker now than when it arrived. Give me 316L steel every time.

Who's next?
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » October 12th 2019, 10:27pm

Awesome. Btw. the tarnish really comes from farting under water, not the salt. And I mean the fishies farts, not nevessarily the diver. Of course.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “Bronze Blue Bomber”