BDWF/ Watchlord upgrades

Stickys, Announcements and TOS are here
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

BDWF/ Watchlord upgrades

Post by koimaster » July 9th 2019, 9:35am

Dion has set up a test site (photos below) of what BDWF will look like after the software upgrades are complete. We are going to upgrade the existing version of phpBB which is dated. There may be a need to re-book mark the site by members if the portal url is switched with the index url. Dion who in 2013 rebuilt the watchlord site after importing from forumotion and has maintined this site as well as doing the BDWF conversion from watchforums.net will be doing these upgrades for us. While there is a cost to this I believe that it is well worth it for the future of the forum. I expect that Dion will be posting something about it here and at BDWF as well.

I would like folks to understand that while the admins and mods at both sites take care of most day to day stuff, it is DIon who does the heavy lifting with software updates, changes to the forum software and such.

The test site looks good so I am giving the go-ahead to do this to the regular sites.

As per Dion -
The default theme is fully responsive, which means there would no longer be a need for the mobile theme. It also uses modern HTML, so it will generate much better SEO.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Re: BDWF/ Watchlord upgrades

Post by koimaster » July 10th 2019, 6:58pm

image.jpg

artman wrote:Cool! What about the request I put in for the shag carpet and the chocolate fountain??

A bit too expensive but the future could bring pong and egg creams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » July 15th 2019, 3:40pm

Dion is the single source of contact for this upgrade and migration which is needed after almost 6 years of using the same software version. This will increase our visibility on search engines which in turn allows more red meat for members to chew up. I do want to point out that Dion has given this forum a break price wise over the years which I appreciate more than words can say. He has also protected this forum with his work and advice.

You will note that we have never been hacked, never had personal data stolen and only recently and it was my fault, had some son of bitch try to spam the forum. That is due to the advice I follow from Dion and a small part of my own experience in the IT world.

I would also like to thank Racer-x, Ocean, Jas and John for the work they do to maintain BDWF the reprise.

1946-2006

biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » July 15th 2019, 4:37pm

koimaster wrote:Dion is the single source of contact for this upgrade and migration which is needed after almost 6 years of using the same software version. This will increase our visibility on search engines which in turn allows more red meat for members to chew up. I do want to point out that Dion has given this forum a break price wise over the years which I appreciate more than words can say. He has also protected this forum with his work and advice.

You will note that we have never been hacked, never had personal data stolen and only recently and it was my fault, had some son of bitch try to spam the forum. That is due to the advice I follow from Dion and a small part of my own experience in the IT world.

I would also like to thank Racer-x, Ocean, Jas and John for the work they do to maintain BDWF the reprise.

Damned fine work by all involved. Kudos!
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » July 17th 2019, 5:13am

koimaster wrote:Dion is the single source of contact for this upgrade and migration which is needed after almost 6 years of using the same software version. This will increase our visibility on search engines which in turn allows more red meat for members to chew up. I do want to point out that Dion has given this forum a break price wise over the years which I appreciate more than words can say. He has also protected this forum with his work and advice.

Don't forget Artman :D
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 19th 2019, 3:55pm

Dion wrote:
foghorn wrote:This place is gonna work differently?

Uh-oh

You can get a good idea of how Watchlords will look and work by heading over to the updated BDWF:

https://bestdamnwatchforum.com/

Looks fantastic on mobile. MUCH easier on these old eyes. Great job, Dion.
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Forum changes coming

Post by koimaster » July 23rd 2019, 4:18pm

So as most members know BDWF (bestdamnwatchforum) has been upgraded and dion made some repairs today to both forums. There is going to be a test forum for WL setup in the next few days and after it is approved data migration will begin. Mast head photos can be rotated as is being done at BDWF. The current mast head has been part of WL for 9 years although at one time Watchnoob went rogue and changed it to -

$matches[2]

and it also had this when it started

$matches[2]

And this was the very first masthead photo but people were caught in some "we look like snobs" mode so it was changed.

191291_195390920501510_5628380_o.jpg

At any rate, would members like to have a rotating masthead and if so let me know or I can put up a poll. If the members choose to go that route then we will ask for photos. All of this should be done and in the meantime Dion has been kind enough to not only give us a price break but allowed me time to pay for it all on both forums. So, decide what you would like to see here besides the image rotation.......or not.

The new Watchlords will have two themes, Watchlords and BDWF, and users will be able to select one or the other. It will also have the image rotation in the masthead, so if you have some images that you think would look in the masthead, pass them along and I'll get them added. It currently uses the current WL masthead image and the one that was used on the old Watchforums board.

Racer-X reported that Google wasn't indexing BDWF, so I did some checking. The robots.txt file was messed up (and quickly fixed), but I found something far more serious. Apparently cPanel, the beast from hell, created a bunch of subdomains of watchlords.com when the watchforums.net and bestdamnwatchforum.com DNS records were created. That caused duplicate content issues, which explains why Google would not scrape Watchforums/BDWF but it had no issues with Watchlords.

I went into WHM and removed all the rogue subdomains from the DNS. It will take a few hours for the changes to propagate, but afterwards, BDWF should be in much better shape.

While I was fixing the DNS issues, I took a look at some server logs to see if there were any other issues. I found literally thousands of attempted FTP login attempts in just the past week, and I suspect this has been going on for years. I'm sure this is because FTP is set up on its default port of 21.

It will also have the image rotation in the masthead, so if you have some images that you think would look in the masthead, pass them along and I'll get them added. It currently uses the current WL masthead image and the one that was used on the old Watchforums board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

gerdson (Online)
Master of Time

Re: Forum changes coming

Post by gerdson » July 24th 2019, 3:08am

I think it is a good idea, as long as we do apply harsh quality criteria. In the photo quality of course, not the watch itself (although we may do ourselves a favor and not allow "certain brands"?)
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » July 24th 2019, 9:02am

I wonder if it is possible to set up a program whereby a different member watch can be featured on the masthead each month - perhaps chosen by a poll of submitted member watch photos - a "watch-o-the-month" as it were?
"When the music's over, turn out the lights."
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » July 24th 2019, 10:07am

Falstaff wrote:I wonder if it is possible to set up a program whereby a different member watch can be featured on the masthead each month - perhaps chosen by a poll of submitted member watch photos - a "watch-o-the-month" as it were?

At BDWF, we gave Dion several wrist shots that are used the rotation.
We were also to have done a "wrist shot of the month" based on the daily posts, but that kind of fell of the radar.
What you suggest could probably be done, but I would assume that it would need Dion's involvement to a greater degree. I refer this stuff to Russ :mrgreen:
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet

Return to “Announcements”