10 Highlights in the History of the Dive Watch

Dedicated to Dive watches
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

10 Highlights in the History of the Dive Watch

Post by koimaster » June 10th 2019, 4:42pm

In the beginning, dive watches were pure tools: essential swimming buddies that helped keep divers on time and hence, well, alive. Today they’re something else: fashion statements, conversation pieces, rugged companions for a trip to the beach or pool. This is an excerpt from Timeline: “Dive Watches Through the Decades,” which traces the history of the dive watch from its start in the 1920s, with the invention of the first truly water-resistant cases, to 2014. (Only mechanical watches are included.)

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/10-h ... ive-watch/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 10 Highlights in the History of the Dive Watch

Post by bedlam » June 10th 2019, 10:01pm

conjurer wrote:I wonder if a brand that never advertised with WatchTime ever appeared in the rag's copy.

Yeah, interesting choice of the Tudor as a modern dive watch...with it's 1960's bezel.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 11th 2019, 9:06am

Great Scott! How does that Breitling even matter? The caption for the picture is all wrong - states "Breitling Superocean (1957)", while that's the chrono version, which they're aware was launched in 1959. The specimen in the picture is a specimen made past 1960, as it has T markings for tritium.

As for Seiko not being on the list... I'm not sure if it'd even belong on a non-fucked-up list of milestones in the history of dive watches. They seemed to do things better than others, but it looks like they were never first to the party with any big-time innovation.

In the meantime, the list still blows. Where's the EPSA Super-Compressor case? Where's the Eterna Super-KonTiki? The 2nd generation Omega Seamaster 300? The Ploprof?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 11th 2019, 9:16pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Great Scott! How does that Breitling even matter? The caption for the picture is all wrong - states "Breitling Superocean (1957)", while that's the chrono version, which they're aware was launched in 1959. The specimen in the picture is a specimen made past 1960, as it has T markings for tritium.

As for Seiko not being on the list... I'm not sure if it'd even belong on a non-fucked-up list of milestones in the history of dive watches. They seemed to do things better than others, but it looks like they were never first to the party with any big-time innovation.

In the meantime, the list still blows. Where's the EPSA Super-Compressor case? Where's the Eterna Super-KonTiki? The 2nd generation Omega Seamaster 300? The Ploprof?

The Plopolyp is the worstest, gheyest wartche ever forged.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » June 12th 2019, 3:58pm

I can't venture to even glance at this list. Too much bullshit on too many weblogs, emagazines or whatever they call what passes for journalism these days.
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » June 12th 2019, 10:35pm

iwasbanned wrote:
foghorn wrote:If there ain't no PADI on the dyal I cawl booshilt!!

That is Seiko's greatest contribution, the PADI label and ISO cert.

This is true. It was Seiko's in-house testing standards that lead to the ISO standard for dive watches.

The 6215 was also interesting for introducing a high-beat movement to a professional level dive watch in 1968. Seiko released the first titanium cased dive watch and the first hybrid analog-digital dive watch. In 1975 the 6159-7010 which was the first to introduce a case-protective shroud and saturation capable dive watch that did not require a helium release valve.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 12th 2019, 10:51pm

bedlam wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:
foghorn wrote:If there ain't no PADI on the dyal I cawl booshilt!!

That is Seiko's greatest contribution, the PADI label and ISO cert.

This is true. It was Seiko's in-house testing standards that lead to the ISO standard for dive watches.

The 6215 was also interesting for introducing a high-beat movement to a professional level dive watch in 1968. Seiko released the first titanium cased dive watch and the first hybrid analog-digital dive watch. In 1975 the 6159-7010 which was the first to introduce a case-protective shroud and saturation capable dive watch that did not require a helium release valve.

So, put that in your pipes and smoke it, you cocksuckers!
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@

Return to “Dive Watches”