Glycine Caliber GL 224

A place for forum darlings and such.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Glycine Caliber GL 224

Post by koimaster » April 17th 2019, 3:41pm

The pictured example of the caliber GL 224 from Glycine is essentially a modified ETA 2824-2. This movement was found in an F104 watch. This movement has been custom decorated by the manufacturer, featuring a signed rotor and oversize movement holder.

http://calibercorner.com/glycine-caliber-gl-224/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Glycine Caliber GL 224

Post by Thunder1 » April 17th 2019, 4:08pm

Especially in later offerings, the GL224 caliber is often in fact a Sellita SW200-1..if the inscription on the movement says 26 jewels, then it is the Sellita...a minor point, I know...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » April 17th 2019, 4:19pm

Thunder1 wrote:Especially in later offerings, the GL224 caliber is often in fact a Sellita SW200-1..if the inscription on the movement says 26 jewels, then it is the Sellita...a minor point, I know...

And that is deception Lalo style. Not stating in clear terms what movement it is. I am assuming these are the SW200 versions since lalo is too cheap to purchase real ETA movements and too much of a con man to tell folks what it really it.

1946-2006

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » April 17th 2019, 4:26pm

koimaster wrote:
Thunder1 wrote:Especially in later offerings, the GL224 caliber is often in fact a Sellita SW200-1..if the inscription on the movement says 26 jewels, then it is the Sellita...a minor point, I know...

And that is deception Lalo style. Not stating in clear terms what movement it is. I am assuming these are the SW200 versions since lalo is too cheap to purchase real ETA movements and too much of a con man to tell folks what it really it.

No, I don't think it is..I think the company's financial situation of recent years has greatly affected their marketing ability..if you look at the Glycine website, the product descriptions are very meager..I think they are very strained to commit resources to providing the public better descriptions.. :scratch:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
DBCooper
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DBCooper » April 18th 2019, 3:01am

CW clearly specifies Sellita or ETA in their specs. At least in the models I have looked at.
After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » April 18th 2019, 3:47am

DBCooper wrote:CW clearly specifies Sellita or ETA in their specs. At least in the models I have looked at.

Damn, it's good to have you and your posts back again..what happened, did you fall out of a plane or something?...
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » April 18th 2019, 5:40am

DBCooper wrote:CW clearly specifies Sellita or ETA in their specs. At least in the models I have looked at.

Yup. And I'm sure that they,Glycine, and others, use whichever is available at the time. ETA probably allots a small number to outside mfgs. and when they are used the Selitta takes over. I have both movements and damned if I can tell a difference.
DBCooper
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DBCooper » April 18th 2019, 2:41pm

I never understood why most of these midrange brands are so vague about what movement is in the watch. I'm pretty sure it ain't no accident. That kind of shit just wouldn't fly for an audiophile buying some new headphones or an amp. Why does the watch industry get away with it? Anyway I just though CW wasn't a good example. Always been completely transparent, at least in my experience.
After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » April 19th 2019, 10:12am

Thank you for the prompt reply. One of the members noticed that Heromex has claimed to make Glycine watches. Attached is their claim. Since at least 23 members of the forum own newer model Glycine watches including my bronze combat sub, it is a bit disconcerting to see a company in Hong Kong claim to not only make Invicta and techomarine, but Glycine as well.

I would like assurances that these watches are made as you claim, in Bienne in your factory and not in Hong Kong. Thanks for your time and attention to this.

Regards,

Alain

1946-2006

Return to “Glycine”