New Timex Made in America Program

foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: New Timex Made in America Program

Post by foghorn » April 16th 2019, 6:09pm

JAS1125 wrote:I like the concept, the design and materials..

Except for the price...a bit high in my opinion but we'll see what retail is

My oipinion may not be popular but here goes.

The more a watch company uses American parts and labor, the more expensive it's product will be,. Higher costs and labor dictate this.
This watch,if made in Asia and using more sourced parts and labor would probably be 250.00 or less.

You can get a pair of imported New Balance shoes for less than 50 bucks. If you want USA made NB shoes you'll be hard pressed to gat them at under 150 bucks.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » April 16th 2019, 7:23pm

foghorn wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:I like the concept, the design and materials..

Except for the price...a bit high in my opinion but we'll see what retail is

My oipinion may not be popular but here goes.

The more a watch company uses American parts and labor, the more expensive it's product will be,. Higher costs and labor dictate this.
This watch,if made in Asia and using more sourced parts and labor would probably be 250.00 or less.

You can get a pair of imported New Balance shoes for less than 50 bucks. If you want USA made NB shoes you'll be hard pressed to gat them at under 150 bucks.

No arguments here on your reasoning.

For that price however, I'd go for an Orient Small Seconds.
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Hawk » April 17th 2019, 6:56am

I doubt they'll even get away with it. The criteria for "Made in America" is more stringent than Swiss or Japanese country of origin markings. Fascinating history on how that came to be but it's been covered elsewhere.

The US still considers the origin of the watch to be the origin of the movement and I notice a big old Swiss turd in the Timex punchbowl. (N.B. movement country of origin does not negate the Swiss FH's ownership of country of origin trademarks which USCBP recognizes which is why you can't mark a Chinese watch with a Swiss movement "Swiss" - it's a trademark thing)

Digression aside Shinola got slapped pretty hard for claiming "Made in America" due to the Ronda movement - and Shinola performed some minor final assembly of the movement in America. It didn't help them and I'm not seeing where Timex is providing even that amount of effort.

We probably don't even have to wait for a government slap-down on Timex - Shinola will likely tattle on them thus hastening the process. And if Timex has engineered a loophole or variance I'd guess Shinola will promptly drive their Ronda through the same loophole. At the least if the loophole consists of additional marking I'd expect to see Shinola adopt "Made in America - Swiss Movement" pretty quickly.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Hawk » April 17th 2019, 7:10am

Nice. I used to live close to Corning.

Of course they only developed Gorilla Glass because they were unsuccessful in obtaining a license from Eyal for Flame Fusion.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Post by koimaster » May 15th 2019, 9:03am

Did anyone notice that the dial says Swiss Movt which is not legal under the Swiss Federation rules.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Timex”