Raise the price of micro brands?

Micro-Brands discussed here
Post Reply
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 2697
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm
Contact:

Raise the price of micro brands?

Post by JAS1125 » March 10th 2019, 1:30pm

Saw this on the Facebooks today


'This must come to an end.

Serious Microbrands should shamelessly raise prices. They should leave the race to the bottom and cheap watches segment for those who already are good at that race, namely Aragon, Orient and hordes of Chinese factories selling directly to market. It’s hopeless race, and it deeply demoralizes the watches buyers audience.

No, I’m not asking anyone to start adding absurdly fat margins, typical for Swiss Fat Cats, and all the fashion industry which sells absolute crap for some serious money.

I’m proposing to think long term, in terms of business sustainability and chances to make the income for watchmakers actually good enough so they could thrive, not barely survive.

You could think I’m crazy, you could think people would stop buying if you charge $600 instead of $350 or $1200 instead of $600, but I will tell you that you are completely wrong.

Here’s what happens when you raise prices: you will lose the buyers looking for bargains and demanding that you sell at cost, but you will suddenly get attention from buyers who admire your work, your passion and would never buy before because your previous prices looked too suspicious or even, pardon my French, silly!

It’s not rant or theory. It’s my business experience in the last 20 years, and especially the last 10 years. Not watches, services like programming and generally servers on the Internet related. But I have witnessed the same elsewhere.

It took me a good 13 years to realize that, though, so I’m hardly a genius. Rather stubborn idiot, I would say.

One day I said it’s enough, my work is worth more, I should charge more, I should make those little paying but highly demanding customers scared and running away screaming, and make a space for those who value my work and are ready to pay honest price.

So I doubled my prices overnight! Yes, doubled. First I was scared but surprisingly it worked! Two years later I have doubled the already doubled prices again, and added new services very highly priced. I was sure no one will ever buy them! Guess what? Few months later I got first order. Cold sales out of the blue. Shocking! It was my client from few years back who could never convince his employer to buy from me until I started to offer quite expensive options. Surprising, right?

Then I could finally breathe. I could finally start to work instead of fight to survive each and every day.

From the perspective it was very serious lack of understanding of the value of my work and expertise. It wasn’t a race to the bottom. It was crawling on the bottom. Or under the bottom. I was there, and trust me, you don’t want to play this game.

Don’t listen to naysayers, just ignore them! Do your best, learn, improve, and raise your prices. You will be shocked what happens next. Totally different customers will come.

You are worth way more than you think.

Good luck!"
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 2697
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: Raise the price of micro brands?

Post by JAS1125 » March 11th 2019, 12:16pm

All of your comments are exactly why I seldom respond to the posts on Facebook.
It's a social club to look pretty pictures, show off your new bauble or fight about whether a Rolex should be in the affordable watch group or not.....no real depth of knowledge, in my opinion.

Forums may be passe' but Facebook will never reach the same level of knowledge and experience that you find here.
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 29756
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Raise the price of micro brands?

Post by conjurer » March 11th 2019, 9:22pm

JAS1125 wrote:All of your comments are exactly why I seldom respond to the posts on Facebook.
It's a social club to look pretty pictures, show off your new bauble or fight about whether a Rolex should be in the affordable watch group or not.....no real depth of knowledge, in my opinion.

Forums may be passe' but Facebook will never reach the same level of knowledge and experience that you find here.


It is because of fora like this that will ensure that most micros can never raise their prices. Normally, you want your price to be high enough to cover your costs, make you a good profit, and sell out to the point you have one left in stock.

Now, if you're sucking enough cocks over at WUS, or on Facesbooks, or wherever the fuck, you can certainly hype your brand to a certain point. If you get enough influencers (fuck, I can't believe I used that term in a non-ironic way) who can suck some more cocks for you, you might get to a point where your brand becomes like MKII, where people will fall over each other like the Three Stooges trying to flee through a narrow doorway, to throw money at you.

Hopefully, we here at the Lords will deflate the bullshit.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
User avatar
bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8508
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Raise the price of micro brands?

Post by bedlam » March 11th 2019, 9:25pm

conjurer wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:All of your comments are exactly why I seldom respond to the posts on Facebook.
It's a social club to look pretty pictures, show off your new bauble or fight about whether a Rolex should be in the affordable watch group or not.....no real depth of knowledge, in my opinion.

Forums may be passe' but Facebook will never reach the same level of knowledge and experience that you find here.


It is because of fora like this that will ensure that most micros can never raise their prices. Normally, you want your price to be high enough to cover your costs, make you a good profit, and sell out to the point you have one left in stock.

Now, if you're sucking enough cocks over at WUS, or on Facesbooks, or wherever the fuck, you can certainly hype your brand to a certain point. If you get enough influencers (fuck, I can't believe I used that term in a non-ironic way) who can suck some more cocks for you, you might get to a point where your brand becomes like MKII, where people will fall over each other like the Three Stooges trying to flee through a narrow doorway, to throw money at you.

Hopefully, we here at the Lords will deflate the bullshit.

True, though WUS is an echo chamber...most don't know this forum exists.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 29756
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Raise the price of micro brands?

Post by conjurer » March 11th 2019, 9:31pm

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:All of your comments are exactly why I seldom respond to the posts on Facebook.
It's a social club to look pretty pictures, show off your new bauble or fight about whether a Rolex should be in the affordable watch group or not.....no real depth of knowledge, in my opinion.

Forums may be passe' but Facebook will never reach the same level of knowledge and experience that you find here.


It is because of fora like this that will ensure that most micros can never raise their prices. Normally, you want your price to be high enough to cover your costs, make you a good profit, and sell out to the point you have one left in stock.

Now, if you're sucking enough cocks over at WUS, or on Facesbooks, or wherever the fuck, you can certainly hype your brand to a certain point. If you get enough influencers (fuck, I can't believe I used that term in a non-ironic way) who can suck some more cocks for you, you might get to a point where your brand becomes like MKII, where people will fall over each other like the Three Stooges trying to flee through a narrow doorway, to throw money at you.

Hopefully, we here at the Lords will deflate the bullshit.

True, though WUS is an echo chamber...most don't know this forum exists.


Well, they would if they weren't so fucking stupid!!
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
Post Reply

Return to “Micro-Brands”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests