New guy from Texas

mley1
Facebook ID: 0

New guy from Texas

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 3:18pm

Hello everyone. I'm Martin Ley. I'm from the state of Texas in the USA, a little town called Santa Fe to be exact. It's south of Houston, near the Gulf Coast. I'm new to watches. For years I just considered them tools, and still do to a certain extent. I've always worn Timex's. They were simple, cheap, and got the job done. Then, I started wearing Gshocks. And, again, they were simple, cheap, and got the job done. I'm a corrections officer for the state prison system, and well, have destroyed many of my Timex's as they got bashed against bars or walls. I'd throw them in the trash and get another. After discovering Gshock I didn't destroy so many. My latest Gshock I've worn for the past 8 or so years, and while it's a bit worn, it's still going strong. Gshocks have served me well. I hadn't thought of changing brands, until recently.

My dear wife and I celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary on November 24th. I've also been with the prison system now for 36yrs. I retired in 2013 with 31yrs, took a year off and came back to double dip. So, my wife of 36yrs decided to surprise me with a new watch. She got me a Seiko SRPB55. I was quite surprised, and pleased. I'd never owned a Seiko before. I liked it's looks. Came with a nice and comfortable rubber strap, with signed buckle. Black dial, with black bezel and gold accents. Nice. I wore it to work. And, so far it's survived. I did take it off a time or two and put it in my pocket for protection, just in case. I liked it so much I decided to get another Seiko. So, I perused that evil auction site, Ebay. And, found an SRPB73K1 Seiko 5 Limited Edition. I got it pretty inexpensively I think, judging by the prices I'd seen on a couple elsewhere. The latest Seiko also appears nice to me, with a bit different look. I was pleased with both Seiko's. Well, me and Ebay are on good terms and I found a Seiko Solar Diver watch with a dial that had SMEnergy on it. Looked like it was a watch for the SM Energy company, maybe as an award or something. I got it at a good price too. So, now I have three Seiko's, and my one Gshock.

So, while my collection is small, my interest is growing. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from you gentlemen. After doing some research online regarding my new Seiko's I came across this forum. I like what I see. While I'm but a peasant at the moment, and probably will always remain so, I'll be looking to you Lords for information and guidance on future watch acquisitions. So, thank you for having me here. I look forward to chatting with many of you about watches.
Last edited by mley1 on December 21st 2018, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Re: New guy from Texas

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 3:28pm

These are the two Seiko's I got from that evil auction site, Ebay. So far, I like the automatics the most. The solar is ok, but doesn't seem to operate as smoothly, with the second hand moving one second at a time. Where the auto's move smoother between each second mark. I don't yet have a pic of the SRPB55 where I can post it. The two pics above are off the ebay listing for those two watches. I'll have to start using an online site to store photo's I guess. You may have noticed the two are darker in color than some, without that shiny stainless look. It seems that's what I've gravitated to so far. Why, I don't know. Just personal taste I guess.
Last edited by mley1 on December 21st 2018, 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 21st 2018, 3:33pm

fatman wrote:A seiko monster will impress your friends and people you don't know. Welcome to the forum.

fat, you're the greatest.

As for our new Texas member: Hey from NYC, man. I have some close friends who live in your area and just love it. Welcome here, and great pics, BTW.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
mley1

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 3:37pm

conjurer wrote:Nice intro, welcome, goddamn it! We can always use another lawman around these parts, I reckon.

Thanks for the welcome. I did a stint as a reserve deputy sheriff for the Galveston County Sheriffs department from 1991-2001, but found that I liked working in prisons more. So, I gave up my part time sheriff deputy gig. Plus, in 1998 my wife and I adopted our first two children, a set of twins, a boy and a girl. Then, in 1999 we adopted another child, a little boy. Well, the kiddo's are grown now with the twins being 21 and the youngest is 19. So, the missus and I have a bit more freedom.

I've stuck with the prison system for a long time, longer than most. Many at work say I'm a crazy sumbitch for staying this long. Double dipping makes it all worth while though. I get two pay checks each month, and make more than the warden. So, I walk in with a smile on my face. And, can't nobody take that away from me. They use me a lot to train rookies. I enjoy that a bit. We've been getting some youngsters in that are younger than my kids for cadets. Sometimes, I get scared for them. They have no damn clue what they're getting themselves into. They're gonna be dealing with convicts that would rather kill them as look at them. And, they've got the face of babes on them. I go out of my way to take them under my wing and teach'em the right way to be as a corrections officer. Some make it. Some don't. There's a lot of culls that go through our academy.

I finally convinced my wife to go to work at the facility where I work at. She's our assistant wardens secretary now. So, for the first time in 36yrs of service to the Great State of Texas I can now sexually harass the wardens secretary and get away with it!! LMBO!!
Last edited by mley1 on December 21st 2018, 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 3:39pm

fatman wrote:A seiko monster will impress your friends and people you don't know. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. The monsters are definitely on my radar. I like the looks of them a lot. I have an active lifestyle with hunting and fishing as hobbies. Camping and being in the outdoors keeps me and my family busy on our days off. So, the more sportier Seiko's appeal to me at the moment.
Last edited by mley1 on December 21st 2018, 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 3:42pm

TemerityB wrote:

fat, you're the greatest.

As for our new Texas member: Hey from NYC, man. I have some close friends who live in your area and just love it. Welcome here, and great pics, BTW.

Thanks for the welcome. The pics are from the ebay listing. So, I didn't take them, and can't take credit for them. They are my watches though. Yea, I love this area as well. There's good fishing in the gulf, good hunting in all areas of Texas, and the weather is usually warm. And, if it isn't ya just wait a few minutes and it'll change for you.
Last edited by mley1 on December 21st 2018, 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » December 21st 2018, 3:48pm

Seiko’s can vary in price from 50 to 10,000. Not a bad place to start collecting. Welcome to the deep end! Wear a cup
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
mley1

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 3:59pm

ocean wrote:Seiko’s can vary in price from 50 to 10,000. Not a bad place to start collecting. Welcome to the deep end! Wear a cup

Thanks for the welcome. Wear a cup?(and a helmet, a vest, gloves, shin guards, and get the gas mask out boss!) Please be gentle with me. I'm a rookie here.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » December 21st 2018, 4:35pm

Welcome to watchlords; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

The cup deal reefers (sorry- just back to CO) refers to the shoe squeezin' that goes on around here, all in good fun, of course, but a guy in the corrections game who is thick skinned enough to tolerate the smell of those cellblocks alone, let alone the added verbal and bodily grossness abuse and whatnot---- well, I don't think you're gonna need to break out the takedown gear to hang out with us.

And the men's room smelled like that when I got there.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 21st 2018, 5:06pm

labman wrote:Welcome Martin - Seiko is a great place to start and stay.

They make some fantastic autos - screw the haters :twisted:

(To conj and cod you guys probably have Martin think WTF are these guys talking about)

Nothing like breaking newbies in quick

Quite so, labby. Severe vetting must be done!!
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
mley1

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 5:09pm

3Flushes wrote:Welcome to watchlords; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

The cup deal reefers (sorry- just back to CO) refers to the shoe squeezin' that goes on around here, all in good fun, of course, but a guy in the corrections game who is thick skinned enough to tolerate the smell of those cellblocks alone, let alone the added verbal and bodily grossness abuse and whatnot---- well, I don't think you're gonna need to break out the takedown gear to hang out with us.

And the men's room smelled like that when I got there.

LMBO! I've grown to love the smell of shit and piss in the morning!! The bastards where I work wallow in the stuff it seems. I've become accustomed to hearing my name called out in many different forms. I thought it was cum drunk mother fucker all day once. LOL
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » December 21st 2018, 5:13pm

conjurer wrote:
labman wrote:Welcome Martin - Seiko is a great place to start and stay.

They make some fantastic autos - screw the haters :twisted:

(To conj and cod you guys probably have Martin think WTF are these guys talking about)

Nothing like breaking newbies in quick

Quite so, labby. Severe vetting must be done!!

:Thumbsup: Truer words have never been spoken :D
mley1

Post by mley1 » December 21st 2018, 5:14pm

codguy wrote:

Were you at the Pentagon during 9/11/01?

That morning I was working a dayroom where 50 convicts suddenly became deathly quiet, as they watched America attacked. And, for once, they all had the same feelings we had, and the same anger we had. Had I been able to, I could have sent them all to NYC, and they would've pitched in with all the rest of the rescue workers. When America was attacked, we all felt it, convicts and officers alike.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 21st 2018, 11:01pm

bedlam wrote:Are we still letting Texans in? Seems like a risk :scratch:

At least his watch choices are good ;)

Interestingly, in my entire life, I can't recall a Texican who was a complete dick. Most of them were good guys, more or less. Naturally, your mileage my vary.

It calls to mind a joke: a commercial airliner was flying through a storm, and was loosing altitude. The pilot lets the passengers know, and they throw out all the luggage, seats, etc. Alas, it's not enough, and the jet is still loosing altitude. The pilot informs the passengers that some of them have to give their lives for the greater good. So a British passengers says, "Rule, Britannia!" and throws himself out to certain death. A Frenchman cries, "vive la France!", and throws himself out into the wind. A Texan stands up, straightens his bolo tie, and shouts, "Remember the Alamo!" And throws out two Mexicans.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » December 22nd 2018, 7:36am

conjurer wrote:Have you ever flown Navy jets?

Good one, John.

This guy could actually last a while around here. Martin I mean.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Return to “Welcome! Introduce Yourself”