Tourneau rebranding to Bucherer in 2020

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Tourneau rebranding to Bucherer in 2020

Post by koimaster » December 7th 2018, 10:41am

https://usa.watchpro.com/exclusive-tour ... pnukmDjmpE

Should be interesting. Not even going to try to Butcher the new name.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Tourneau rebranding to Bucherer in 2020

Post by TemerityB » December 7th 2018, 11:33am

I feel for my friends in NYC and LI. I'm sure they don't know whether to shit or go blind as far as their job statuses.

This is a horrible move. The Tourneau name means something, at least around here.

Tell you what: I think Bucherer is a great brand. Yet, it doesn't mean bupkis to most people, even watch fans. My local store replaced some lower-priced brands with two huge cases full of full priced Bucherer, and a staffer told me they're going over like turtle soup would at McDonald's.

This would be a good time for another retailer to specialize in watches, because Tourneau/Bucherer is about to become the next Sleepys/Mattress Firm.
Listening to Justin Zimmer trying to explain Glycine watches on ShopPU is like listening to Pernell Roberts explain what beans make a good cup of coffee.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Post by tiktok » December 7th 2018, 12:45pm

I disagree TB. Tourneau has been notorious for not paying watchmakers on a timely basis but their volume makes it hard to say no. It was inevitable their debt kept growing.
"Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace."
Eugene O'Neill.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 7th 2018, 10:10pm

TemerityB wrote:I feel for my friends in NYC and LI. I'm sure they don't know whether to shit or go blind as far as their job statuses.

This is a horrible move. The Tourneau name means something, at least around here.

Tell you what: I think Bucherer is a great brand. Yet, it doesn't mean bupkis to most people, even watch fans. My local store replaced some lower-priced brands with two huge cases full of full priced Bucherer, and a staffer told me they're going over like turtle soup would at McDonald's.

This would be a good time for another retailer to specialize in watches, because Tourneau/Bucherer is about to become the next Sleepys/Mattress Firm.

This is tough news indeed for the lowly watch salespeople. Indeed, the absurd hubris of people in the top level of retail is breathtaking--"We're not making same-store sales?? Well, fuck it! Let's sell more expensive shit!"
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 8th 2018, 2:25pm

conjurer wrote:
TemerityB wrote:I feel for my friends in NYC and LI. I'm sure they don't know whether to shit or go blind as far as their job statuses.

This is tough news indeed for the lowly watch salespeople. Indeed, the absurd hubris of people in the top level of retail is breathtaking--"We're not making same-store sales?? Well, fuck it! Let's sell more expensive shit!"

Well that's it in a nutshell. As someone who spent his formative years in retail management before changing careers, the only thing I know for sure about retailing is that there's always some new empty suit with a better idea, which usually leads to shuttered doors and disappointed customers.
Listening to Justin Zimmer trying to explain Glycine watches on ShopPU is like listening to Pernell Roberts explain what beans make a good cup of coffee.

Return to “General Watch talk”