Casio GMW-B5000TB-1 Titanium Square

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches
codguy
ASSHAT

Casio GMW-B5000TB-1 Titanium Square

Post by codguy » August 20th 2021, 10:24am

WHEN THE POSTMAN HANDED ME THE PACKAGE A FEW DAYS AGO, WHICH CONTAINED A MATTE BLACK WRAPPER WITH THE GOLDEN, HIGHLY VISIBLE G-SHOCK LOGO, IT BECAME CLEAR TO ME QUITE QUICKLY THAT THE LATEST PIECE FROM CASIO WOULD BE ANOTHER STROKE OF GENIUS.
CASIO G-SHOCK GMW B5000TB REVIEW.

https://www.watchdavid.com/casio-g-shoc ... tb-review/

1) If the vaccines are effective, why do the vaccinated need to be protected from the unvaccinated?
And
2) If the vaccines are not effective, then why should the unvaccinated get one?

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Re: Casio GMW-B5000TB-1 Titanium Square

Post by koimaster » August 20th 2021, 4:23pm

Oh fuck no! Never paid over $150 for one, never will. Here, have some fun reading about $7K g-shocks https://www.g-central.com/mrgg1000rt-1a ... hock-ever/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » August 21st 2021, 8:18am

bbattle wrote:
August 20th 2021, 2:23pm
I don't understand the desire to make a titanium version of a plastic case watch if you are then going to paint it black to look just like the plastic case version.
For me that might be a bonus..... one would get the pleasure of wearing a nice watch that appears to be a cheap pos. The owner would know what it is and enjoy it, others perhaps wouldn't be bothered.

Afterall, whom in say Chihuahua, Rio, Puerto Limon or even Fairfield would really want to jack you for a $20 plastic looking Amazon special?
I think the appearance could be a benefit..... or maybe not.

1) If the vaccines are effective, why do the vaccinated need to be protected from the unvaccinated?
And

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » August 21st 2021, 1:50pm

koimaster wrote:
August 20th 2021, 4:23pm
Oh fuck no! Never paid over $150 for one, never will. Here, have some fun reading about $7K g-shocks https://www.g-central.com/mrgg1000rt-1a ... hock-ever/
They're out of their fucking minds and so are the morons buying them.

The titanium has the same basic $20 solid state module that's in the majority of radio / BT G Shocks - given most are, as you said, a buck and-a-half, that's $1650 for the case and bracelet give or take a little from the street price of the basic G's. Ridiculous.
Stroke of genius alright
- to get people to pay that.

And the 18K version is only 70 grand! :lol:
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » August 21st 2021, 5:34pm

3Flushes wrote:
August 21st 2021, 1:50pm
... that's $1650 for the case and bracelet give or take a little from the street price of the basic G's.
I don't understand this argument. How much of other watch prices do you think you'd structure to the car and bracelet? The G is iconic, beautifully made, suitable for everyday wear, and extremely functional. Why is it ridiculous?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 22nd 2021, 12:27am

jason_recliner wrote:
August 21st 2021, 5:34pm
3Flushes wrote:
... that's $1650 for the case and bracelet give or take a little from the street price of the basic G's.
I don't understand this argument. How much of other watch prices do you think you'd structure to the car and bracelet? The G is iconic, beautifully made, suitable for everyday wear, and extremely functional. Why is it ridiculous?
I agree the G is a classic and have no problem with the way they're made.

Maybe I'm uninformed, but IDK of a brand that charges $1650 bucks for a titanium case and bracelet over SS (IDK of any other brands to compare with where the up-charge would be from a resin case and plastic or similar strap). I looked to try to compare the up-charge from the former SS version but couldn't find one, and I think that shaving a couple'a ounces off of the SS version's weight is a good reason to use titanium, but I think the price for the upgrade is ridiculous.

It's not like titanium is a precious metal like pewter or something. :mrgreen:
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » August 22nd 2021, 3:36am

3Flushes wrote:
August 22nd 2021, 12:27am
jason_recliner wrote:
August 21st 2021, 5:34pm
3Flushes wrote:
I agree the G is a classic and have no problem with the way they're made.

Maybe I'm uninformed, but IDK of a brand that charges $1650 bucks for a titanium case and bracelet over SS (IDK of any other brands to compare with where the up-charge would be from a resin case and plastic or similar strap). I looked to try to compare the up-charge from the former SS version but couldn't find one, and I think that shaving a couple'a ounces off of the SS version's weight is a good reason to use titanium, but I think the price for the upgrade is ridiculous.

It's not like titanium is a precious metal like pewter or something. :mrgreen:
Yeah, fair enough, if you're considering the difference between steel and titanium versions of otherwise identical watches. Watch purchases often aren't that rational.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 22nd 2021, 1:24pm

Was finally able to find the SS version - $550.00 - fairly reasonable up-charge from the resin watches and not bad looking. So it's $1250 more than SS for titanium and the spray painted finish - which also makes no sense to me - why coat a more scratch resistant metal with an easy to scratch finish?
jason_recliner wrote:
August 22nd 2021, 3:36am
... Watch purchases often aren't that rational.
Indeed.

SS: https://www.gshock.com/watches/digital/gmwb5000d-1
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 23rd 2021, 1:14am

jason_recliner wrote:
August 22nd 2021, 5:29pm
Ti + DLC + exclusivity + collectability = $1,000

I could see that. Doesn't seen any more or less obscene or ridiculous than most of the other watches we buy, to me.
Just FTR:

Went back to Casio USA and noticed the MSRP for this watch in the US is $1700, a buck-and-a-half less than the conversion from the price in euros listed at the link. Casio prices are listed for virtually every form of money on earth and their prices do not convert uniformly across currencies, at least not to USD.

Deducting the US price of $550 for the SS version, leaves an $1150 premium for Ti and the black DLC. Admittedly, less ridiculous, and furthermore admittedly, the value of watches, as with all things, I reckon, is in the eye of the spender. Even if they are ridiculous.

One thing I know for certain: Until some smart bastard figures out how to add color directly in to the formulation of SS or Ti instead of coating it, I won't be able to buy a black watch. Holding out hope for Sinn's HB finish, I'll see how conj's holds up.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » August 23rd 2021, 8:34am

Ha. Find it comical how this thread on a decent solar watch (is there such a thing?) quickly evolved into a watch price vs. value thing. Particularly on a wartch that costs less than many watch servicings are priced at.
Guess I don't get it, I have given away watches that cost more.

3Flushes wrote:
August 23rd 2021, 1:14am
the value of watches, as with all things, I reckon, is in the eye of the spender. Even if they are ridiculous.
Agree, some people would gag over the ridiculous cost of an Omega and/or Breitling with inhouse movements when they can simply purchase watches with pedestrian ETA movements that can maintain the same accuracy.
Same people would probably need do the same price comparison/dissection between watches in the same brand/model for Sapphire verses Mineral, Titanium verses Stainless verses Bronze verses Plastic. Least we forget DLC verses Ceramic verses Bare. Personally I don't care what the component price difference might be say between see-through verses solid case backs....... it simply doesn't register with me.

Staying on current topic= I reckon some watch collectors might be willing to pay $21,000 for a rose gold Zenith on calf leather strap when they could simply purchase the same watch in stainless on a bracelet for $11k less.
Am pretty sure there isn't eleven thousand dollars worth of gold in that case and buckle. Nope, doing a compare & contrast on those two Zeniths will give someone angina.

And to continue the slight thread Cecil;
Folks do purchase what they want or can afford in everything we purchase...... like in cars. Corinthian verses velour, HID lighting verses halogen, sunroof verses none, air-conditioning verses 2 windows, automatic verses manual, aluminum wheels verses steel. Want cruise control? How about power steering & anti-lock brakes. Bet I can find an automatic wiper control system on JC Whitney for around $30, why give Acura Honda the extra upcharge?
Yep, value is in the eye of the purchaser in everything we purchase and I'm willing to bet sum people will find no value in even purchasing a wrist watch when they have a phone in their pocket.

3Flushes wrote:
August 23rd 2021, 1:14am
Until some smart bastard figures out how to add color directly in to the formulation of SS or Ti instead of coating it, I won't be able to buy a black watch. Holding out hope for Sinn's HB finish
For the record.... every black watch listed by Sinn states cases are PVD/DLC coated steel, or in your words "spray painted".
You might also want to stay away from a black Damasko coated with their proprietary Damest paint, which btw absolutely protects their watches from traces of wear (don't take my word for it, ask bedlam).

Anywho, back to this thread on a limited production & souless wartch.

And

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 23rd 2021, 4:21pm

codguy wrote:
August 23rd 2021, 8:34am
Ha. Find it comical how this thread on a decent solar watch (is there such a thing?) quickly evolved into a watch price vs. value thing. Particularly on a wartch that costs less than many watch servicings are priced at.
Guess I don't get it, I have given away watches that cost more...
The value of any given watch given its components, in addition to other considerations like build quality, is a frequent topic of discussion / debate in reviews, on boards, and in the minds of discerning consumers for whom such things are considered in making buying decisions. Such spirited debate enjoys a lonstanding heritage here at Watchlords.

Watch manufacturers of all levels go to great lengths to add perceived value to their products, often to the extent of making embellished claims about minor details like the durability of finishes, (diamond-like) to downright false claims as to materials, heritage, country of origin, and so forth. Why? Because watch manufacturers know that such factors matter to watch consumers and weigh heavily in their buying decisions. Otherwise, why bother?

As to finishes, PVD, DLC, or WXYZ, they are spray on coatings and not particularly durable, certainly not so much as the metals they are applied to, nor are these finishes subject to cosmetic fixes. Scratches on SS, Ti, Br, or AU, brushed or polished surfaces, can be polished out by any number of methods, Cape Cod, or rouge cloths, for example, and look as good as new.

I've not looked into Damasko because their watches don't appeal to me, however, Sinn now uses a 'Hard Black Finish' which they tout as more durable than their previous DLC coating, but for all I can tell, it may be the same deal regards to 'hard wear'. And for folks who are not particularly tough on their watches, the applied coatings may not be an issue, however, every PVD or DLC coated watch I've ever owned has looked like crap in a few months time. So, while I remain doubtful, Sinn's HBC may be a bright spot on the horizon, but I am hopeful somebody will figure out how the hell to add color to metal so blemishes can be merely polished out of the surface.

Perhaps you are just less aware of such considerations as value and specific components as such has become inveterate in your collecting over time. Given the quality of the watches you collect, which it seems to me, tend to have the upgraded trim package, so to speak, you certainly arrived at that level of choice by some degree of judgement and insight - you have a great eye and admirable collection to be sure - the SWI's made by Armand Nicolet speak to both. Wish I'd bought a few.

At any rate, it seems to me that relative value within and between watch brands is legit grist for the mill on watch boards and in reviews - I don't see why this watch would be any different. Why, conj based an entire series of reviews on the value received for the price of a watch.

And like they say in the car business, 'there is an ass for every seat'.
Last edited by 3Flushes on August 25th 2021, 1:13am, edited 4 times in total.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » August 23rd 2021, 10:56pm

Perceived value is probably best reflected by the prices these watches will bring in the used market. You think a watch is over or under valued, check what it is bringing on WatchRecon.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 24th 2021, 1:35pm

Mark1 wrote:
August 23rd 2021, 10:56pm
Perceived value is probably best reflected by the prices these watches will bring in the used market. You think a watch is over or under valued, check what it is bringing on WatchRecon.
Agreed, for watches on the market long enough to have established an aftermarket.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » August 25th 2021, 7:11am

3Flushes wrote:
August 23rd 2021, 4:21pm
And for folks who are not particularly tough on their watches, the applied coatings may not be an issue, however, every PVD or DLC coated watch I've ever owned has looked like crap in a few months time.
You must be hard on your watches.
Don't know how hard conjurer is on his but methinks what works for others still may not work for you.

Perhaps it is simply my dumb luck over all these years. I own four black "painted" watches, two standard PVD (including a 2836 wartch from Android), one of Damest & a single Japanese wartch in DLC. All are holding up perfectly with typical codguy day to day activity, no testers or sharpie touch up ever been required. But then again, I don't wear watches when say I'm wrenching on something..... for I dislike scratches on crystals and stainless steel as well.

Good luck in your search.

And

Return to “Asian and Far East Watches”