Renato Watches - Made in China - circa 2010

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches
koimaster
Founder

Renato Watches - Made in China - circa 2010

Post by koimaster » December 13th 2019, 5:17pm

Why pay $500 to $850 for a Chinese made watch? Alot of silly Shop NBC shoppers do.

For the past four years, alot of hype has been generated from the sales of Renato watches on Shop NBC and, to his credit, co-owner Daniel Mink has managed to sell alot of watches and make millions of dollars in the process.

Most of these watches (bizarely named Beast, Wilde-Beast, Jakal, Stallion, T-Rex, Sporgenza, Vulcan and Cyclops) feature a Swiss ETA G-10 movement - average cost $35. So why the hefty $500-$850 (or more) price tag for a watch made in China? You tell me.

Daniel Mink was quoted in Haute Living Magazine as saying, "There is too much demand for our watches, We can't keep up, because not only are they hand made, they are hand assembled too."

Hand assembled? Sure.

Handmade? Hog wash!

Are we supposded to believe that the case and each link is handmade from a solid piece of stainless steel? Come on now, how ludicrous!

I would like to challenge Renato Watches to prove once and for all that their watches are all handmade. Perhaps you could show us on a Youtube video. But that's right, you don't want buyers out there to know your watches are made in China.

Daniel Mink, although a seriously great watch designer and a very likeable salesman, has gotten himself and his company into trouble before by exagerating the features of his watches. Back in the Spring of 2008 a Renato & ShopNBC customer took Renato to task on the quality of the diamonds used in some watch models (See: ripoffreport.com/Jewelry-Stores/ShopNBC-And-Renato-W/shopnbc-and-renato-watchesshop-d87d8.html).

In that particular complaint, a veteran diamond expert reported that the diamonds claimed to be G color and VS clarity, were actually far short of that quality - more like Si2 or I1. Renato was taken to court and since then Mr. Mink has had to be very careful whenever describing the color and quality of the diamonds used in his watch brand.

Its a brand new year Mr. Mink. Why not be completely honest with the watch-buying public and curtail some of the ridiculous claims you've been using about your collezioni?

Note: “It is not generally known that quite a few Swiss companies have watches assembled in China for export to North America, Asia and even Europe, where the brand name is more important that the “Swiss made” label. Such watches may consist of a Chinese case and a Chinese crystal, a Taiwan-made dial and metal bracelet and Japanese hands. If the movement is to be considered Swiss, 51% of its value must be Swiss and at least the last wheel must be added in Switzerland. Swiss watch brands without the “Swiss made” label are usually equipped with a Japanese movement. The “Swiss parts” label means that the movement is assembled in Asia using kits consisting at least partially of Swiss made components.”

Renato doesn't claim to make to sell Swiss-made watches, just watches with Swiss movements.

http://renatowatches-renato.blogspot.co ... mment-form

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Renato Watches - Made in China - circa 2010

Post by TemerityB » December 28th 2019, 8:24pm

I'm not a betting man, but I'd wager the last response on that page was from a certain glorified dog walker we all know. The writing style resemblance is uncanny.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 30th 2019, 12:07am

Mark1 wrote:
December 29th 2019, 5:29pm
The vaunted Chinese lacquer dials could have been a clue. This thread is new, is Renato still a thing?
Apparently, they're still around, but sans La Mink, who has moved on to selling NYC real estate to bullet-headed Russians and parvenu chink billionaires. The last I heard, it was vacuumed up by MZ Berger. Apparently, Oprah also moved on, after her early shilling of the brand--which should have garnered La Mink many millions of dollars from her legion of fans, as opposed to the simps who watched ShopNBC. This should tell something to the epically greasy Daniel Mink's new real estate clients; anybody who fucked this up will probably fuck up the finish work on the overpriced condos overlooking Central Park.

In a way, this makes Renatoe something of an outlier, perhaps the first TeeVee brand that was resurrected as a zombie brand.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 30th 2019, 12:44pm

Remember that time when - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong - Mink simply threw up a Renato flag on the side of a midtown building and proclaimed it his HQ? Am I remembering this all wrong?

Edit: This was posted in a thread called "Serious Question About Renato" started by, uh, me way back in 2010. This comes from Lies All Lies (whatever happened to him?):

Then came Renato's departure from SNBC. In search of bigger better things they claimed to open their own boutique off of 5th Avenue in New York. Turns out after several NY geeks went to check it out there was no show room of any kind but rather it was a securities office that sold advertising to Renato to hang a flag banner off the side of the building.

That pretty much sums Renato - all show, no go. And cripes, I still have two as part of my Magic Sock Drawer, a couple of my wife's follies.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 1st 2020, 11:54pm

I, for one, am certainly glad that La Mink is living the dream now. Fitzgerald once said that there were no second acts in American's lives, but the Minkster obviously challenges this:

Starts Renatoe. Makes a lot of money, but doesn't like being under ShopNBC's thumb.

Get's an endorsement from Oprah--there are plenty of authors now driving AMG Mercedes who would otherwise still be taking the subway who got an endorsement of their books from Oprah, but, surprisingly, it didn't really take. Failure.

La Mink decides to take his company private, cutting out the ShopNBC middleman. Failure.

La Mink decides to sell online, like Amazon, where they're lighting their cigars with burning hundred dollar bills--and only because they don't mint thousand dollar bills anymore. Mink decides to open a Renatoe forum, but doesn't police it properly, and a bunch of Lords like fatman get in and break balls with abandon. Failure.

La Mink comes up with the Black Card grift, wherein the last few Geeks will spend more money for a longer warranty on their oversized, Chinese-made, vulgar Wildebeests. Failure.

The tourbillon grift. When this happens I'm not exactly sure about, but others can chime in and set me straight. La Mink decides to buy some chink tourbillons, which other brands have been using for the last couple of years. He takes pre-payment for them, and plenty of people bite. Now, when this occurs, pretty much anybody could email Sea-Gull, and with a simple wire-transfer, order a bunch of tourbillon movements. It's as easy as ordering a new window for a Hyundai. Unfortunately, La Mink's check bounces like a member of the Wallenda family taking a dive from a tightrope, and no tourbillons are sent, and the buyers never get 'em. Although, to be fair, apparently the money was refunded. Failure.

Then, sometime around this time, the Minkster comes up with the truly bizarre scheme/con of people hosting Renatoe parties, and selling vulgar, shit watches to their friends, like Amway, only greasier. I don't know if this ever got off the ground, but at least it would be easier to store a gross of Renatoes in one's garage, instead of a 55-gallon drum of Amway carpet cleaner.

La Mink sells out to MZ Berger (or whomever the fuck), but stays on as "chief designer." This might well be the case, since Renatoes that are available still look like shit. Failure.

Now, La Mink is a real estate mogul. Let's see how this works out for him.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 2nd 2020, 3:00pm

conjurer wrote:
January 1st 2020, 11:54pm
I, for one, am certainly glad that La Mink is living the dream now. Fitzgerald once said that there were no second acts in American's lives, but the Minkster obviously challenges this:

Starts Renatoe. Makes a lot of money, but doesn't like being under ShopNBC's thumb.

Get's an endorsement from Oprah--there are plenty of authors now driving AMG Mercedes who would otherwise still be taking the subway who got an endorsement of their books from Oprah, but, surprisingly, it didn't really take. Failure.

La Mink decides to take his company private, cutting out the ShopNBC middleman. Failure.

La Mink decides to sell online, like Amazon, where they're lighting their cigars with burning hundred dollar bills--and only because they don't mint thousand dollar bills anymore. Mink decides to open a Renatoe forum, but doesn't police it properly, and a bunch of Lords like fatman get in and break balls with abandon. Failure.

La Mink comes up with the Black Card grift, wherein the last few Geeks will spend more money for a longer warranty on their oversized, Chinese-made, vulgar Wildebeests. Failure.

The tourbillon grift. When this happens I'm not exactly sure about, but others can chime in and set me straight. La Mink decides to buy some chink tourbillons, which other brands have been using for the last couple of years. He takes pre-payment for them, and plenty of people bite. Now, when this occurs, pretty much anybody could email Sea-Gull, and with a simple wire-transfer, order a bunch of tourbillon movements. It's as easy as ordering a new window for a Hyundai. Unfortunately, La Mink's check bounces like a member of the Wallenda family taking a dive from a tightrope, and no tourbillons are sent, and the buyers never get 'em. Although, to be fair, apparently the money was refunded. Failure.

Then, sometime around this time, the Minkster comes up with the truly bizarre scheme/con of people hosting Renatoe parties, and selling vulgar, shit watches to their friends, like Amway, only greasier. I don't know if this ever got off the ground, but at least it would be easier to store a gross of Renatoes in one's garage, instead of a 55-gallon drum of Amway carpet cleaner.

La Mink sells out to MZ Berger (or whomever the fuck), but stays on as "chief designer." This might well be the case, since Renatoes that are available still look like shit. Failure.

Now, La Mink is a real estate mogul. Let's see how this works out for him.
Can't wait to find out. He's the type of guy that would serve you a cheese sandwich on white bread and call it "Croque Monsieur," but when you seek him out to complain, you're told he left for the day.

Return to “Asian and Far East Watches”