Doxa history - a bit thin on facts

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Doxa history - a bit thin on facts

Post by koimaster » December 11th 2013, 4:29pm

As an aside to this post, I looked and have not been able to find an ad in the US or Europe for Doxa after 1974. Also missing is any link to Cyma or Synchron.

http://www.doxawatches.com/history.htm

Somewhat more accurate except leaving the part out about the Nazis
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/wristwatches/doxa

Landlocked Switzerland is probably not the first place you think of when it comes to scuba diving, but it is the historical home of fine, precision watches. In 1967, the Swiss watchmaker Doxa brought these two elements together when it created its distinctive, orange-dialed Doxa Sub wristwatch.

Doxa’s history predates the Sub by almost a century. Founded in 1889 in the country’s Jura Mountains, where watchmaking dates to the 15th century, Doxa patented the first watch with an 8-day movement in 1908. The movement was so reliable that Doxa was hired to produce wristwatches for German infantrymen in World War I. Many of these watches are in excellent condition today—the two snow-capped peaks and depiction of Edelweiss on the dial are not to be missed.

Perhaps because of founder Georges Ducommun’s fondness for automobiles (he had one of the first in the region), Doxa was one of the first watchmakers to produce timepieces for cars. By 1921, Doxa was the official supplier to renowned sports-car manufacturer Bugatti.

One of the hallmarks of a Doxa watch is its fine internal workmanship, as well as its sense of style. For example, Doxa pocket watches from the 1920s feature handsome dials depicting golfers at play, while its women’s wristwatches from that era are sometimes hidden within elegant, 14-karat gold bangles.

In the 1930s, Doxa was one of the leading makers of chronographs, some of which were housed in 14-karat yellow-gold cases. And the firm continued to make watches for the military throughout World War II, particularly for aviators.

After the war, Doxa produced handsome, round calendar wristwatches. In 1954, the company gave a gold watch to each player on West Germany’s winning football team—the lads were in Berne, Switzerland for the World Cup. By 1956, the company’s designers were at it again, this time creating the square, Bauhaus-inspired Graphic in both men’s and ladies’ models.

But the biggest event in Doxa’s history was its foray into waterproof watches, which happened in 1967. The Doxa Sub 300T (300 is the number of meters it was rated for) featured a U.S. Navy air-dive table on its bezel to aid no-decompression divers while underwater. Even more helpful was the wristwatch’s brilliant orange dial, which was designed for divers in dark, potentially life-or-death conditions.

Divers loved the Doxa, which was embraced by U.S., British, French, and Polish naval forces. And so successful was the orange-colored dial that Doxa added a few more models, including the silver-dialed Searambler and yellow Divingstar.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Re: Doxa history - a bit thin on facts

Post by koimaster » December 11th 2013, 5:01pm

DOXA watches LTD and its moderators reserve the right to delete posts and/or whole conversations we determine are of an irrelevant, aggressive, abusive, offensive or disruptive nature. Postings containing incorrect details or misleading information about a member, product or the manufacturer will be deleted without prior notice. DOXA is a reputable Swiss watch manufacturer and the name DOXA has stood up for quality, customer friendliness and integrity for over 1 century, In case you are not satisfied with a product or a staff member’s reply to an email etc.. Please direct your feedback, complains or questions directly to DOXA at [email protected]. Postings offending or questioning the standing, integrity, credibility or strategy of DOXA watches LTD will be also deleted without prior notice.

From WUS

September 10th, 2012 #4

jopex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Synchron Doxa

This is what I found on Doxa site in FAQ section about Synchron:

Q. What is the relationship between DOXA and Synchron? Why do some vintage models say Synchron on the back?

A. After the crisis of the Swiss watch industry in the seventies, DOXA joined a group of Swiss companies to be able to resist the crisis the group was called SYNCHRON - it was in that time when the watches manufactured carried the logo DOXA by SYNCHRON. The following companies were part of the Synchron Group (Girard Perregaux, Eberhard &Co., DOXA, Borel, Cyma etc..)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Doxa history - a bit thin on facts

Post by 3Flushes » December 11th 2013, 5:46pm

A good friend of mine, who has an uncanny knack for finding shit, you know the type; looks down and spots a Benjie, hit the pisser at a restaraunt and found a diamond ring on the sink, looked under his seat at a movie for a quarter he dropped and found a $900 sterling silver Mont Blanc pen... bought a DOXA watch at a yard sale for $150.

Yesterday, when he called me and told me he bought the thing, I laughed my ass off, figuring his fucking luck had finally run out. He asked me to take a look at it for him and tell him what I thought. I couldn't wait to show him all the DOXA threads here at WL, and squeeze his shoes good over it. So, 'ol lucky shows up with a DOXA by Synchron solid gold three hand dress watch on a beautiful crokagator (not sure which) strap. The dial, hands, everything freaking perfect. It is 35mm in diameter and acid tested out at 14K, including the buckle on the strap, and the movement sounded like it was running strong. SONOFABITCH if it isn't a beautiful watch. He took it to his jeweler to open it and see what kind of movement it had and what kind of shape it was in.

Given a tradition of good craftsmanship and quality, kind of a shame how the brand has devolved in its' current hands.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “Asian and Far East Watches”