Lets crack this Doxa China Thing

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Lets crack this Doxa China Thing

Post by AlbertaTime » January 2nd 2013, 10:47pm

Horse Feathers wrote:Wow, the outdoor seating area at the Toronto PF Changs is quite austere
The kitchen's old school, too, but the service and food's great and the chef/waitress is very cute, friendly, so...I suffered through it.

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 2nd 2013, 10:52pm

conjurer wrote:That was well said, A-T, goddamn it. For a Canadian, you busted his balls pretty good.

Thanks.

It's like the TradeManager emot/icon says, we're supposed to try to Image "be helpful".

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Wasp » January 3rd 2013, 6:34am

[font='Calibri']OK I’m ignorant. The question arises. What would it take for DOXA to unquestionably verify that all parts for the lines that are “SWISS MADE” are indeed made in yodel land. One would think Doxa would provide irreproachable proof. That’s the issue here correct? I know the criteria for the Swiss labeling. I’m getting from this thread that many here believe that parts for DOXA watches are made in ASIA and DOXA attests that all parts are made in Switzerland. [/font]
[font='Calibri']
[color=black][font='Calibri']I’m not a rocket surgeon. My heads spinnin’ on this one[/font]

[/font][/color]
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 3rd 2013, 8:35am

eddiea wrote:That's a Shanghai by any chance Ron? any close up pics?

It's a Taihang built by Shijiazhuang Wristwatch Factory 石家庄 手表厂 but on a different strap:

The photo of my brother MaRong and I was taken where he lives, in Shijiazhuang, so I was very proudly wearing a watch built in his home town (pop: 9 million), and that I had purchased from him very early in my collecting days.

The caseback represents the Taihang mountains. Here's two shots of a lower section of the Taihang in Hebei province near Shijiazhuang, , from my last trip:

elau
Watchlord WIS

Post by elau » January 3rd 2013, 8:45am

WASP wrote:[font='Calibri']OK I’m ignorant. The question arises. What would it take for DOXA to unquestionably verify that all parts for the lines that are “SWISS MADE” are indeed made in yodel land. One would think Doxa would provide irreproachable proof. That’s the issue here correct? I know the criteria for the Swiss labeling. I’m getting from this thread that many here believe that parts for DOXA watches are made in ASIA and DOXA attests that all parts are made in Switzerland. [/font]
[font='Calibri']
[color=black][font='Calibri']I’m not a rocket surgeon. My heads spinnin’ on this one[/font]

[/font][/color]

An address to the actual manufacturing facility and a date stamp photo on a company's letter head goes a long way. That should not be too much of a trouble to stand behind the brand if asked. I will guarantee you such small request will be gladly provided from any reputable companies.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Wasp » January 3rd 2013, 8:55am

elau wrote:
WASP wrote:[font='Calibri']OK I’m ignorant. The question arises. What would it take for DOXA to unquestionably verify that all parts for the lines that are “SWISS MADE” are indeed made in yodel land. One would think Doxa would provide irreproachable proof. That’s the issue here correct? I know the criteria for the Swiss labeling. I’m getting from this thread that many here believe that parts for DOXA watches are made in ASIA and DOXA attests that all parts are made in Switzerland. [/font]
[font='Calibri']

[/font][/color]

An address to the actual manufacturing facility and a date stamp photo on a company's letter head goes a long way. That should not be too much of a trouble to stand behind the brand if asked. I will guarantee you such small request will be gladly provided from any reputable companies.

I will ask.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2013, 9:15am

Why are so many people of late concerned about what this site and members here think of Doxa?

Just as Invicta is the most feared watch company in the world, Doxa is the largest Internet watch company. In the last two months I have been approached by a former WUS Doxa mod, several newbies here have brought it up as well as being approached at FB and here by reps of Doxa.

This little forum of under 1000 members should be insignificant to these people

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2013, 9:58am

As an aside -

To : <**********@juno.com>

Subject : RE: doxa purchase

Date : Wed, Jan 02, 2013 11:22 PM

Hi, this is a discussion made up by the competition and by a paid Mafia, can you
please point me to the link where the discussion is going on.

Please note that the world's known dive organizations, military and the world greatest
divers use DOXA, those people know why they use DOXAs

Kind regards
customer service
DOXA watches Inc.
www.doxawatches.com

The original question to them -

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: doxa purchase

Hi,

looking to purchase a Sub 1500T but I have some concerns. There is an on-going
discussion at a forum about these being made in china, at least parts of them. For
$3000 I would like to make sure I get an 100% swiss made watch

I want to make certain that we disclose the following information:

Members of this forum and other fora are not paid Mafia nor the competition! We are buyers of watches who want truth in advertising and full disclosure so we know when we purchase a watch, we get what we are paying for. Nothing more and nothing less. The difference here is we do not close threads when honest questions are asked.

I also want to add that I know of no divers who use a Doxa nor military organizations. Please provide examples to the public.

1946-2006

Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Wasp » January 3rd 2013, 10:03am

koimaster wrote:Why are so many people of late concerned about what this site and members here think of Doxa?

Just as Invicta is the most feared watch company in the world, Doxa is the largest Internet watch company. In the last two months I have been approached by a former WUS Doxa mod, several newbies here have brought it up as well as being approached at FB and here by reps of Doxa.

Well I think DOXA has been getting publicity that they think is untrue. Me…I’m just trying to get a straight answer from an existing topic here on WL. Here is the latest from my correspondence with them. From their CS today:

Our cases are a machined in Switzerland at our factory, our movements are sourced from ETA in Switzerland.

They will see if they can send me a letter on letterhead regarding this information.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Wasp » January 3rd 2013, 10:09am

-----Original Message-----
To:
[email protected]

Hi,

discussion at a forum about these being made in china, at least parts of them. For

FYI... This is not me check the IP stack.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2013, 10:13am

WASP wrote:-----Original Message-----
To:
[email protected]

Hi,

Not concerned one way or another.

1946-2006

Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » January 3rd 2013, 10:20am

WASP wrote:
koimaster wrote:Why are so many people of late concerned about what this site and members here think of Doxa?

Well I think DOXA has been getting publicity that they think is untrue. Me…I’m just trying to get a straight answer from an existing topic here on WL. Here is the latest from my correspondence with them. From their CS today:

Our cases are a machined in Switzerland at our factory, our movements are sourced from ETA in Switzerland.

They will see if they can send me a letter on letterhead regarding this information.

Letterhead is meaningless and fails to address the issue. If their intent is to disguise or deny the source of their manufacturing, they'll continue to do so on letterhead.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Wasp » January 3rd 2013, 10:22am

koimaster wrote:
WASP wrote:[color:9fa5=dark red]-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]

Hi,

Not concerned one way or another.

I agree, I don’t know why DOXA is making an issue. They can stand on their own merit.

If I’m off base or need to cease and desist I will leave this one alone.

Regards

WASP

elau
Watchlord WIS

Post by elau » January 3rd 2013, 10:23am

elau wrote:
[font='Calibri']

[/font][/color]

I suggested this, not a blanket letter head, WASP.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2013, 10:27am

WASP wrote:

"Movements sourced" from ETA means nothing. Are they complete movements or Ebauches which in turn are sent to Walca Asia for re-working and then assembled in Cheezland. As to the cases, interesting comment by them. CNC in Cheezland is expensive. Why do that when you have a factory in Asia with the tooling to make your cases and to which you have already admitted has been done in the past.

Walca Far East Ltd. (Doxa Group)

1946-2006

Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Wasp » January 3rd 2013, 10:32am

koimaster wrote:
WASP wrote:

"Movements sourced" from ETA means nothing. Are they complete movements or Ebauches which in turn are sent to Walca Asia for re-working and then assembled in Cheezland. As to the cases, interesting comment by them. CNC in Cheezland is expensive. Why do that when you have a factory in Asia with the tooling to make your cases and to which you have already admitted has been done in the past.

Walca Far East Ltd. (Doxa Group)

This is why im scratchin my head. You bring up interesting questions. I would like to see Doxa providing definative proof. We shall see. Maybe in the interm someone with a lot of time, money and forensic skill can open one up and do a Dick Tracy.

Cheers

WASP
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » January 3rd 2013, 12:06pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
eddiea wrote:That's a Shanghai by any chance Ron? any close up pics?

It's a Taihang built by Shijiazhuang Wristwatch Factory 石家庄 手表厂 but on a different strap:

Clean dial, I like it Image
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2013, 1:44pm

1946-2006

Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » January 5th 2013, 6:52am

WASP wrote:[font='Verdana']Arguments and positions are presented. Looks like it will be adjudicated. Too bad if it goes that way. No one wins except you know who.[/font]

My guess is that, outside a dozen or so of the major players, the typical Swiss Watch "Montres" doesn't provide much in the way of a facility that can be toured and photographed.

This is, after all, the age of Google Maps and several of the Swiss brands I've checked out resemble a dead drop from a spy novel. Still, I buy their product and they're usually not subjected to abundant scrutiny and skepticism.

So what makes Doxa so "special"? To some extent I would guess that it's the sort of thread scrubbing and topic lockdowns that inspire skepticism. And, of course, there's John Vargas who, depending on one's outlook, is either a "whistle-blower" or a "loose cannon". Once you understand what's been scrubbed from the current discourse you may or may not change your opinion but you'll have a better grasp on where some are coming from. And right here some of it is - all the way from 2007:

http://watchlords.forumotion.net/t12964-former-doxa-emplyeer-john-vargas-comments-which-were-deleted-at-other-forums

Return to “Asian and Far East Watches”