The Reason why I have more Germans than Swiss

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German
franklin
Facebook ID: 0

The Reason why I have more Germans than Swiss

Post by franklin » July 27th 2020, 5:02am

I don’t think it’s because I have a particular affinity with Gemany (though I do admit to liking the place and (most of) the people)

I think it is much more that I have an unabashed predilection for relatively newly formed companies with pretensions to sit at (or close to) the table of haute horologie.
Why? Because they have no laurels upon which to rest; no past glories in which to bask. Necessarily, they have to build their reputations on the work they are doing now -- and, with the benchmark set quite high by the kings of La Suisse Romande, and the certain knowledge that a reputation is easier to destroy than to build, they strive to make an excellent job of it. And some very fine watches are the result.
To my simple mind, there are two reasons why quite a few exciting new manufactories have emerged over the last thirty years. The first is the gradual resurgence of popularity of mechanical watches following the “quartz crisis” -- a factor which applies to all watch-making countries. The second is the return of eastern Germany (traditionally the powerhouse of German watchmaking) to the capitalist system in 1990 -- obviously, this applies only to Germany.

So, (at my current state of knowledge) the new companies I most admire are:
- A Lange und Söhne -- 1990 (new company, old name)
- Glashütte Original -- 1994 (not strictly new, but a rebirth after over 40 years as state-owned GUB)
- F P Journe -- 1999
- D Dornblüth & Sohn -- 1999
- Lang & Heyne -- 2001
- H Moser & Cie -- 2002 (new company, old name)
- Moritz Grossmann -- 2008 (new company, old name).

I also admire Nomos (1990, and the first new company to be established in Glashütte after the reunification) -- but don’t think its main focus is “haute”.

As you will see, all but two of my list are German. This, I think, accounts for the preponderance of Germans in my collection.

My aspiration is to own at least one example from each of these brands (eight pieces, or over 50% of my modest collection already come from them). Unfortunately though, Mr Journe will probably forever be out of my reach -- so the weight of Germany in my collection is likely to increase.

I must also plead guilty to liking to be different -- so, the fact that the last five on my list are micro-brands (combined output probably only around 3000 pieces per year) makes them particularly appealing.
Audemars Piguet, Benzinger, Dornblüth, Glashütte Original (x3), Meistersinger, Moritz Grossmann (x3), Moser, Nomos, Rolex, Stowa, Zenith.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The Reason why I have more Germans than Swiss

Post by Thunder1 » July 27th 2020, 5:22am

Both an excellent and informative look into your views on collecting watches..an inspiration for many of us, I believe...keep on keeping on!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » July 27th 2020, 5:36pm

If I like the looks of the watch, I might buy it, regardless of country of origin.

The bicycle crowd is likewise divided. Some like the idea of an 80 yr. Italian, welding away at his station, creating bicycles one at a time at the same shop his grandfather had built. Using only Italian steel, of course. A few even demand the same with their carbon fiber frames; laid up by hand with loving care by the lovely lasses down at the bike factory.

For some, the idea that an Italian bike was made in Italy or an American bike was made in America is important. I say, sure, as long as the quality is there and the price isn't outrageous.

I like what I see with regards to several of the German watch brands. Same could be said for Swiss, French, Japanese, Chinese or even American brands.

I buy what I like.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 27th 2020, 5:55pm

Posted my only German watch, a cheapie, in the WURW in honor of this thread.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
franklin

Post by franklin » July 28th 2020, 12:13am

TemerityB wrote:
July 27th 2020, 5:55pm
Posted my only German watch, a cheapie, in the WURW in honor of this thread.
And, indeed, both noticed and answered :mrgreen:
Audemars Piguet, Benzinger, Dornblüth, Glashütte Original (x3), Meistersinger, Moritz Grossmann (x3), Moser, Nomos, Rolex, Stowa, Zenith.
franklin

Post by franklin » July 28th 2020, 12:23am

bbattle wrote:
July 27th 2020, 5:36pm
Same could be said for Swiss, French, etc.
Agreed. My point was that I have realised that I like new (high horology) brands -- and, being a bear of very little brain, I have only just realized why so many (though not all) of them are German -- hence the explanation.
Journe and Moser are also firmly on the list (as would de Bethune be if I thought I could ever aspire to one) -- Swiss.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » July 28th 2020, 8:32am

franklin wrote:
July 28th 2020, 12:23am
bbattle wrote:
July 27th 2020, 5:36pm
Same could be said for Swiss, French, etc.
Agreed. My point was that I have realised that I like new (high horology) brands -- and, being a bear of very little brain, I have only just realized why so many (though not all) of them are German -- hence the explanation.
Journe and Moser are also firmly on the list (as would de Bethune be if I thought I could ever aspire to one) -- Swiss.
It's a good thang to have a 'direction', a purpose, in this fine ass hobby of ours...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 28th 2020, 2:09pm

Upon reading the title, I thought it'll be some new Watchlords fiction, perhaps a memoir of a Greek hooker.

Seriously, though, a fine choice of brands.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “German Watches”