Review – Moritz Grossmann GMT

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Review – Moritz Grossmann GMT

Post by Racer-X » October 17th 2019, 1:57pm

"Moritz Grossman introduced its first GMT complication at the beginning of 2019, a superbly crafted watch with an easy-to-consult and easy-to-adjust second time-zone. Presented in 41mm white or rose gold cases with three different dial colours, the model we have for our hands-on session is the white gold with an argenté dial. With its relatively simple styling and white on silver colourway, the Moritz Grossmann might not make a huge first impression but let me assure you that the more I handled the watch, and the more I noticed the details and the exceptional finishes, the more I came to admire this watch."

https://monochrome-watches.com/moritz-g ... iew-price/

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Review – Moritz Grossmann GMT

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 18th 2019, 1:44pm

The movement really looks like the state-of-the-art thing that it most likely is. The rest of the watch looks like the boring thing that it certainly is.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » October 19th 2019, 5:00pm

I've had the great good-fortune to hold this brand in my hands a couple of times at the Watch Time Magazine events. They are easily, without question, the finest watches I have ever been lucky enough to touch. Incredible movements, astounding quality, and beautiful styling. I can admire them without having to own one. MG just sinks in your wrist, sort of like when you play a Taylor guitar for the first time - you just know there's nothing else like it after you experience it.

WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
franklin

Post by franklin » July 16th 2020, 1:08pm

TemerityB wrote:
October 19th 2019, 5:00pm
I've had the great good-fortune to hold this brand in my hands a couple of times at the Watch Time Magazine events. They are easily, without question, the finest watches I have ever been lucky enough to touch. Incredible movements, astounding quality, and beautiful styling. I can admire them without having to own one. MG just sinks in your wrist, sort of like when you play a Taylor guitar for the first time - you just know there's nothing else like it after you experience it.

I agree -- which is why I've got three of the things. They certainly stir my soul like nothing from the "trinity" or Lange does. However, being a mere mortal, I admit I didn't buy them new.
Audemars Piguet, Benzinger, Dornblüth, Glashütte Original (x3), Meistersinger, Moritz Grossmann (x3), Moser, Nomos, Rolex, Stowa, Zenith.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 16th 2020, 4:56pm

franklin wrote:
July 16th 2020, 1:08pm
I agree -- which is why I've got three of the things. They certainly stir my soul like nothing from the "trinity" or Lange does. However, being a mere mortal, I admit I didn't buy them new.
Hey - most of my best pieces were pre-owned. I stand by what I say with MG; this is craftsmanship so off the scale I can barely put it into words. Hope you display yours sometime soon.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 17th 2020, 6:09pm

codguy wrote:
July 17th 2020, 5:59am

Can someone please gift me this one??

(pic lifted from TemerityB)

Thank you in advance.
Nice choice. I know I buy Rolex watches, but I'd never say Rolex was finer crafted than Moritz Grossman. I've never held a finer watch in my hands, and likely never will.
franklin

Post by franklin » July 30th 2020, 4:43am

This manufacturer obviously elicits mixed reactions here -- which is understandable, as we all have (and are allowed, notwithstanding views expressed on some "fanboy forums") individual tastes.

I will, if i may, weigh in on the pro side of the discussion. This is not really surprising as I own three of the things, and MG probably counts as my favourite watchmaker.

It has to be admitted though that these things are not the cheapest -- but then, neither are the pieces from any other comparable manufacturer. Perhaps then not for the sort of collector who likes to have more watches than he can keep count of.

I have recounted here both my personal watch buying preferences (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49595) and a brief description of my visit to the MG manufactory (at the end of viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49518).
All I will say is that the phrase "that'll do" seems to have no place in MG's philosophy.

The watch from my small collection which I would like to adduce is the MG-000460 Benu Power Reserve. And I freely admit that I chose that one because Tim Mosso has reviewed it much better than I ever could (link below).

What do I like about it? The design: narrow bezel, giving a large open face, super clean warm but minimalist look, size, shape. The gorgeous hands. The materials. The attention to every detail. The comfort. And, of course, the embodiment of the company's motto: "Schönstes deutsches Handwerk".

And, Mr Mosso (on the dark dial and platinum version) can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHS3masoBk
Audemars Piguet, Benzinger, Dornblüth, Glashütte Original (x3), Meistersinger, Moritz Grossmann (x3), Moser, Nomos, Rolex, Stowa, Zenith.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 30th 2020, 10:08am

Great photos, Franklin. Tremendous.

Return to “German Watches”