Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German
Post Reply
User avatar
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Posts: 38594
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by koimaster » August 10th 2019, 8:58pm

watch producer Pointtec has replaced its bestselling brand Junkers in favour of new brand Iron Annie.

Iron Annie is a nickname given to the Ju 52, a German transport aircraft manufactured since the 1920s by Junkers, a major industrialist in the country. The aircraft is popular because it was used mainly in civilian roles during World War II and since, sometimes as an air ambulance or as a troop and cargo carrier for the Luftwaffe.

Since 1945, it all but vanished but vintage planes are still flown at air shows and for sightseeing trips.

Story continues below
Advertisement
The aircraft has a distinctive corrugated metal alloy exterior, which has been reproduced in miniature on Junkers watches that will now be known as Iron Annie timepieces.

The change of direction came about after the parent company Pointtec decided not to renew the Junkers license after a sharp increase in royalty fees was asked for by the brand’s family for the use of its name.

The Junkers family will produce its own watches using the Junkers brand in collections that will launch later this year.

Distributors in North America and the UK believe that the Iron Annie name will quickly gain traction.

“Our experience in the UK and America suggested that any potential challenges with changing from Junkers to Iron Annie would be more than made up for by the fact that customers would have a much more positive reaction because of warmth and recognition to the Iron Annie aircraft and because it did not sound like junk,” describes Hans Brandt, sales director UK/Ireland for the business.

Pointtec makes around 200,000 watches per year, more than any other German manufacturer.

2019 is a landmark year for German design because it is the 100th anniversary for the genesis of the Bauhaus movement, and the newly named Iron Annie brand has a complete collection launching this year in celebration.

The Bauhaus 100 Year collection spans clean and simple quartz-based three-handers with date where form most clearly follows function, as the Bauhaus movement prescribes. The range moves up through models using ETA, Sellita, Myota or Seiko automatic movements with power reserve meter and small seconds and chronograph functions.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder
Posts: 38594
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by koimaster » August 11th 2019, 9:28am

Stupid name. Reminds me of tugboat annie and doubtful many remember that name or movie, or the short lived tv series.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 30082
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by conjurer » August 11th 2019, 9:30am

koimaster wrote:
August 11th 2019, 9:28am
Stupid name. Reminds me of tugboat annie and doubtful many remember that name or movie, or the short lived tv series.
Saving this space for a forthcoming fake celebrity bio on Marie Dressler.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
User avatar
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 561
Joined: December 11th 2012, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Mpls
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by nimbleboy » August 11th 2019, 10:47am

koimaster wrote:
August 11th 2019, 9:28am
Stupid name. Reminds me of tugboat annie and doubtful many remember that name or movie, or the short lived tv series.
I don't like the name either. Junkers is one brand I was keeping an eye on for my nephew's graduation watch. Iron Annie sounds much less refined...
Is it safe?
User avatar
gerdson
Master of Time
Posts: 2374
Joined: January 7th 2013, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Just north of Northern Krautland
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by gerdson » August 11th 2019, 11:13am

I never understood what the bloody aircraft company had to do with watches, so I don't give a damn. Nobody in Germany has ever heard about the term Iron Annie. Same of course applies to Tugboat Annie. But Steamboat Willie is one of my personal favorite cartoons.
Anyways, what comes next? Aardvark? Warthog? Or (god forbid) Sluff?
Fuck these marketing arses, for fucking fuck's sake verdammt.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 2804
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 11th 2019, 1:15pm

I've handled some watches of the two Point-Tec brands - Zeppelin and Junkers. Junkers didn't feel like junk at all, although it's nothing impressive. The Zeppelins are kind of decent - just not the autos, which tend to have a display back over the particularly fugly Miyota 821.

There's a number of defunct German aircraft manufacturers, the names of which the holding could use. Messerschmitt, Focke-Wulf, Dornier, Horten, Henschel, Arado, Fieseler, Blohm und Voss...
And with that copious fucking buffet of brand names, they go for "Iron Annie." I mean, who'd want that on the dial of their watch?! I'd say that - in the long run - this is likely to be as successful a move as if they'd have called the new brand "Sodium Margaret", "Magnesium Kate" or "Zinc Imelda." These would mean fuck-all - just as does Iron Annie alright - to the average John Doe just wanting to buy a watch, deeply unaware of Iron Annie being a nickname for the Ju-52.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
bbattle (Online)
Member
Posts: 314
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by bbattle » August 31st 2019, 4:47pm

koimaster wrote:
August 11th 2019, 9:28am
Stupid name. Reminds me of tugboat annie and doubtful many remember that name or movie, or the short lived tv series.
I remember the Heart song, "Dreamboat Annie".

I like the watches just fine; the name is a bit off-putting but I may acquire one someday. On the other hand, as I travel deeper into the land of time devices, I will probably go upscale and leave poor Annie behind.
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 2804
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 31st 2019, 6:10pm

I, meanwhile, knew one Annie, wanted to take her out to dinner, but then I saw that she happens to be a Facesbooks addict, posting tons of stuff (I didn't even look for it, post after post popped up on the main feed) that indicated that she's, well, not quite what I'd call a good person, and not quite right in the head, all of that seasoned with some of the worst traits you could associate the word "millennial" with. Self-absorbed, narcissistic, and - worst of all - it turned out she hasn't worked a day in her entire fucking life, no less preaching about the "hardships of life" on Facesbooks. 'Twas just a horribly second-rate human being.

So, I gave up on the idea, I saved the dinero, and then I've bought my Dan Henry 1970 a couple of months later. Wouldn't have bought it, if I'd have redistributed a part of my watch budget to buy that fucking dinner.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 30082
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by conjurer » August 31st 2019, 7:12pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
August 31st 2019, 6:10pm
I, meanwhile, knew one Annie, wanted to take her out to dinner, but then I saw that she happens to be a Facesbooks addict, posting tons of stuff (I didn't even look for it, post after post popped up on the main feed) that indicated that she's, well, not quite what I'd call a good person, and not quite right in the head, all of that seasoned with some of the worst traits you could associate the word "millennial" with. Self-absorbed, narcissistic, and - worst of all - it turned out she hasn't worked a day in her entire fucking life, no less preaching about the "hardships of life" on Facesbooks. 'Twas just a horribly second-rate human being.

So, I gave up on the idea, I saved the dinero, and then I've bought my Dan Henry 1970 a couple of months later. Wouldn't have bought it, if I'd have redistributed a part of my watch budget to buy that fucking dinner.
True, but buying a Dan Henry won't get your Twinky stinky.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 2804
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 31st 2019, 7:55pm

conjurer wrote:
August 31st 2019, 7:12pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
August 31st 2019, 6:10pm
I, meanwhile, knew one Annie, wanted to take her out to dinner, but then I saw that she happens to be a Facesbooks addict, posting tons of stuff (I didn't even look for it, post after post popped up on the main feed) that indicated that she's, well, not quite what I'd call a good person, and not quite right in the head, all of that seasoned with some of the worst traits you could associate the word "millennial" with. Self-absorbed, narcissistic, and - worst of all - it turned out she hasn't worked a day in her entire fucking life, no less preaching about the "hardships of life" on Facesbooks. 'Twas just a horribly second-rate human being.

So, I gave up on the idea, I saved the dinero, and then I've bought my Dan Henry 1970 a couple of months later. Wouldn't have bought it, if I'd have redistributed a part of my watch budget to buy that fucking dinner.
True, but buying a Dan Henry won't get your Twinky stinky.
Yeah. But it surely beats buying a dinner to a harpy that makes a man with brains a repository of personal problems, while constantly looking for a combination of a cock and an ATM.
In that respect, even visiting a brothel is a far more cost-effective solution.

She had some poor bastard made into a "best friend." When I logged in to Facesbooks recently, this was still going on, a so-very-hoping idiot buying her fancy lunches and flowers, and getting "anniversary of friendship" posts. I'd almost pity the moron, if only I'd give a shit.

There are times, when it's certifiably better to run, unless one wants to become a walking credit card for a person, who's on purpose an unemployed communist for as long as the allowance from Mum keeps flowing in. And for a thicko, who has actually posted a "selfie" with her credit card, details visible. I'm not joking; wish I was, but I'm not.

See, this is the problem with this generation. There are so many among us millennials, who for whatever reason believe that the world owes them anything for the fact that they exist, so they somehow feel exempt from the necessity of getting a job.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 30082
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by conjurer » August 31st 2019, 8:19pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
August 31st 2019, 7:55pm
conjurer wrote:
August 31st 2019, 7:12pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
August 31st 2019, 6:10pm
I, meanwhile, knew one Annie, wanted to take her out to dinner, but then I saw that she happens to be a Facesbooks addict, posting tons of stuff (I didn't even look for it, post after post popped up on the main feed) that indicated that she's, well, not quite what I'd call a good person, and not quite right in the head, all of that seasoned with some of the worst traits you could associate the word "millennial" with. Self-absorbed, narcissistic, and - worst of all - it turned out she hasn't worked a day in her entire fucking life, no less preaching about the "hardships of life" on Facesbooks. 'Twas just a horribly second-rate human being.

So, I gave up on the idea, I saved the dinero, and then I've bought my Dan Henry 1970 a couple of months later. Wouldn't have bought it, if I'd have redistributed a part of my watch budget to buy that fucking dinner.
True, but buying a Dan Henry won't get your Twinky stinky.
Yeah. But it surely beats buying a dinner to a harpy that makes a man with brains a repository of personal problems, while constantly looking for a combination of a cock and an ATM.
In that respect, even visiting a brothel is a far more cost-effective solution.

She had some poor bastard made into a "best friend." When I logged in to Facesbooks recently, this was still going on, a so-very-hoping idiot buying her fancy lunches and flowers, and getting "anniversary of friendship" posts. I'd almost pity the moron, if only I'd give a shit.

There are times, when it's certifiably better to run, unless one wants to become a walking credit card for a person, who's on purpose an unemployed communist for as long as the allowance from Mum keeps flowing in. And for a thicko, who has actually posted a "selfie" with her credit card, details visible. I'm not joking; wish I was, but I'm not.

See, this is the problem with this generation. There are so many among us millennials, who for whatever reason believe that the world owes them anything for the fact that they exist, so they somehow feel exempt from the necessity of getting a job.
I certainly understand, Mr. Bloke. However, going in balls-deep is worth a lot of bullshit.

**(@
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
User avatar
AlbertaTime (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 3551
Joined: October 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Iron Annie new name for Old Junkers line

Post by AlbertaTime » September 1st 2019, 2:34am

nimbleboy wrote:
August 11th 2019, 10:47am
koimaster wrote:
August 11th 2019, 9:28am
Stupid name. Reminds me of tugboat annie and doubtful many remember that name or movie, or the short lived tv series.
I don't like the name either. Junkers is one brand I was keeping an eye on for my nephew's graduation watch. Iron Annie sounds much less refined...
Agreed. I think the idea is so dumb that, at first, I thought it had to be a joke. And I'm with you, nimbleboy, on Junkers. I almost bought one for my brother, Ma Rong because I thought they offered great value with smart, and not-copycat, variants of classic Bauhaus looks.

But "Iron Annie?" Not on my wrist. And I'm not gonna inflict it on anyone else, either.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Post Reply

Return to “German Watches”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests