5 Things You Might Not Know About Nomos

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German
koimaster
Founder

5 Things You Might Not Know About Nomos

Post by koimaster » May 30th 2019, 8:13am

It seems like every year I receive more and more questions from my non-horologically-inclined friends about Nomos Glashütte. It’s understandable. Over the past decade-plus, the German brand has made massive inroads in building a following in the United States. This is largely thanks to a highly-praised minimalist design palate, excellent marketing, accessible prices, and true in-house mechanical movements. Altogether, Nomos has found massive success in an arena that so many other brands are struggling with: How to appeal to a millennial and Gen Z audience without sacrificing horological prestige among longtime watch purists?

Today, Nomos is the largest producer of mechanical watches by volume in all of Germany and introduced at Baselworld 2018 a new collection that continues with the same design panache we’ve come to expect. While there are many widely known facts about the brand out there, such as it was founded two months after the fall of the Berlin Wall, there are still quite a few interesting details that not every watch enthusiast may know.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/nomo ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 5 Things You Might Not Know About Nomos

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 30th 2019, 2:19pm

If I had the Nomos kind of money to spend on a watch, I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't spend it on a Nomos. In fact, I'd just spend it on a full tank of fuel, and then drive around flea markets, and return with a number of stall finds, each prettier than any Nomos. Not like there's anything that I don't like about the brand. On the contrary, I really like some of their designs. It's just that there's nothing that'd make me want one.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “German Watches”