Laco Erbstück Collection – New Additions

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Laco Erbstück Collection – New Additions

Post by Racer-X » March 17th 2019, 2:28pm

"We’re definitely looking forward to Baselworld 2019 for all the normal reasons: new watches, seeing friends from around the world, and endless espresso. Ok, we get tired of that last part, but you get the point. On the other hand, there’s no doubt that 2019 qualifies as a very different year due to all the changes at the show. One thing we’ve noticed is an increase in releases prior to the beginning of the show. The new pieces in the Laco Erbstück collection are one such example. Now, we will meet with Laco at the show, so we’ll come back with live shots next week.

With the Laco Erbstück collection, the German brand promises more in their lineup of “heirloom” pieces (“heirloom” is the English translation of the German word “Erbstück”) in both 39mm and 42mm. We’ve actually reviewed a piece from the Erbstück collection in the past, but today we’re here to look at the smaller editions. Here are the first eight."

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hot-take-the-laco-erbstuck-collection-new-additions/
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Laco Erbstück Collection – New Additions

Post by TemerityB » March 17th 2019, 6:20pm

I really, really like Laco - great bang for the buck, seriously. But this sudden trend of new watches dolled up to look "patinaed" and old?

What in the fuck is going on? If you want a watch that looks like it's two day from being thrown away? Let me save you more than a few bucks (but ask questions, as this seller is the king of the redials, if not outright Frankenwatches):

https://www.girards.com/
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » March 18th 2019, 6:08pm

conjurer wrote:I find this ironic, considering how many wars the krauts have started--and ended badly.

If to look back in time even further, if they were winning, it was mostly in wars they didn't start (Austro-Prussian War, Franco-Prussian War, for example).
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » July 17th 2019, 3:30pm

They sell these to snowflakes desperate for some "street cred". It's all fine by me, it keeps the factory running so they can make the watches I want to buy. (it also depresses the prices on used watches; you know, the watches that got patina the old fashioned way).

Porsche 911 fans should always be grateful for those that buy Cayennes and Panamericas.

On the other hand, people that buy Moscato or "White Zinfandel" should never have wandered past the Boone's Farm and Mad Dog 20/20 aisle; much less start bragging about how they are now refined wine drinkers because they can wield a corkscrew.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » July 17th 2019, 3:52pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:I find this ironic, considering how many wars the krauts have started--and ended badly.

If to look back in time even further, if they were winning, it was mostly in wars they didn't start (Austro-Prussian War, Franco-Prussian War, for example).

Actually, I believe Kanzler von Bismarck arranged both of those or at the very least allowed them to happen - knowing the Prussian army could crush any enemy - in his effort to unify the 47 or so semi-independent German states and forge the Greater German Reich resulting in the coronation of Wilhelm I of Prussia in Versailles as German Emperor. Bismarck pulled the strings and all Europe danced.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 17th 2019, 6:04pm

koimaster wrote:Image

Yeah, I do love yanking people's chain if it gets them angry. Am currently doing so on the Facebooks to the owner of Boreakis. Guy has got some self-esteem issues and am having good fun poking him for a ride.
"Nobody makes a turd like that and lives!"-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 7th 2019, 4:51pm

So, everyone here is buying unwashed Levis? The ones that are dark blue and stiff as a board?

That's what I do every Christmas; I make a pilgrimage to the Pants Barn in Hazel Green, Alabama and buy a couple of pairs of bluejeans. I even have some Liberty overalls. They all get good and broke in just fine in due time.

The Erbstück series reminds me of the efforts people would go through to "age" their new Harley Davidson leather vests. It just will not do to be seen riding wearing a brand new, squeaky leather vest so they drag them behind the motorcycle on dirt roads and leave them out in the sun for weeks to bleach out before introducing them to the public eye.

Regarding the Laco Erbstück collection,
At first I thought, "they look kinda cool" but then they seem so contrived that I change my opinion. They would be cool if they were selling used watches that were 30 years old and were worn by loggers or professional Bigfoot hunters. In reality, they will be worn by accountants who risk a game of corn hole down at the local microbrewery with the locals.

I do appreciate and will most likely buy one of Laco's Flieger watches.
Last edited by bbattle on August 8th 2019, 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiktok

Post by tiktok » August 7th 2019, 9:07pm

I owned an erbstück briefly. My impression was that if you want to overdo the pagan vintage look it's certainly all there like Disneyworld for fliegers. I think I sold cuz the lume sucked after gilden promises of shinapolis.

Return to “German Watches”