On the Wrist: Glycine Airman No. 1

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

On the Wrist: Glycine Airman No. 1

Post by koimaster » December 15th 2014, 3:18pm

Wearing a watch thirty-six millimeters in diameter means one’s wrist is strapped with something from another era. Even as many new-model case sizes are a bit smaller than the fifty-plus millimeters often seen several years ago, the thirty-six millimeter diameter case of the new Glycine Airman No.1 I’ve been wearing for two weeks feels retro.

The size here is the point, however, as this newest version of the Glycine Airman replicates the original Airman No.1 1953 model almost exactly. Sure, the movement is a new ETA-based model, not the Felsa 692 used sixty years ago, and Glycine makes a 12-hour GMT model as an alternative to the 24-hour indications on the original, but the case, dial and bezel are now being made by Glycine with the exact dimensions of that first model.

The Airman is Glycine’s best-known watch, and the independent Swiss manufacturer offers many models that bear the Airman name. Some of these watches, like this Airman No.1, are direct descendants of previously made Glycine pilot models. Others newer models, which vary in size and functions, simply recall the name, which has attained cult status among pilots across the globe.

http://iwmagazine.com/2014/12/10/on-the ... rman-no-1/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: On the Wrist: Glycine Airman No. 1

Post by eddiea » December 16th 2014, 3:03pm

biglove wrote:Beautiful watch and live the fact Glycine understands big watches are dead...so dead.

I in turn having a bit of an issue understanding you BL :?: ...it come across like you either don't do your home work or worst ...don't like big watches :shock:
gregl515
WIS - Retired
Facebook ID: 0

Post by gregl515 » January 1st 2015, 12:53am

I love this version of the Airman. I have an Incursore. Glycine makes an excellent quality watch.
"When you can't feel pain, you're dead!", Sgt. Laskodi, U.S.M.C.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker, U.S.M.C. (The Sands of Iwo Jima).
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » January 1st 2015, 3:06am

gregl515 wrote:I love this version of the Airman. I have an Incursore. Glycine makes an excellent quality watch.

I used to get those all the time...try drinking sauerkraut juice. :mrgreen:

Return to “German Watches”