Powermatic plastic parts!

All things Swiss
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Powermatic plastic parts!

Post by 3Flushes » February 14th 2024, 3:34am

My understanding is that the better Powernatics, including the COSC movements, have silicon balance springs and are marked Si.
I think the escapement material in question is Silizium which is touted to have better friction / wear resistance than metal and is anti-magnetic. I've not ever found anything definitive, from SWATCH, or any other source, as to what the hell Silizium is made of.

I suspect however the material is some composition of Silicon as a Google search revealed that Silizium is a German word meaning silicon. It's not surprising the Swiss would use a German term given the majority of the people in Switzerland speak German which has historically found its way into the watchmaking terminology of the Swiss. Also of no surprise is that silicone, or a derivative thereof, might have been easily mistaken for plastic by a dilettante watchmaker an eager hobbyist.

I've also not been able to determine what PM's have metal or Silizium escapements, or if any use metal at all. As far as I can tell, PM's spec'ed as having "high-tech" escapements have Silizium escapements. Unspec'ed Powermatics, are as yet, enigmatic. It doesn't seem to me that a silicon based escapement would be in any way cheapen the PM movements nor be disadvantageous given the PM lines record to date of accuracy and durability.

Given the controversy over the alledged use of plastic in the PM movements perhaps SWATCH will be forthcoming as to the exact composition of Silizium and what's what with the escapements and sew Fourth.

I'm holding my breath over here.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » February 14th 2024, 9:17pm

Pfffffft... I haven't seen this degree of materials nonsense since the original Golf/Rabbit was released and muscle car fans fussed about how cheaply it was made because the radiator fan was (gasp!) plastic. Conventional wisdom mandated that real cars had fans made of metal. Although the same amount of air was moved, weight savings never seemed to occur to anyone.

If there isn't an issue with performance, then there isn't an issue, period.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

conjurer (Online)
Owner

Post by conjurer » February 14th 2024, 11:01pm

Nuvolari wrote:
February 14th 2024, 9:17pm
Pfffffft... I haven't seen this degree of materials nonsense since the original Golf/Rabbit was released and muscle car fans fussed about how cheaply it was made because the radiator fan was (gasp!) plastic. Conventional wisdom mandated that real cars had fans made of metal. Although the same amount of air was moved, weight savings never seemed to occur to anyone.

Why would muscle car fans worry about what material VW used for, well, anything? This is like me worrying about what sort of lubricant homos ghey fellows would use to corn-hole each other.

I know, live and let live, but I really don't give a fuck.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » February 15th 2024, 6:44pm

conjurer wrote:
February 14th 2024, 11:01pm
Nuvolari wrote:
February 14th 2024, 9:17pm

Why would muscle car fans worry about what material VW used for, well, anything? This is like me worrying about what sort of lubricant homos ghey fellows would use to corn-hole each other.

I know, live and let live, but I really don't give a fuck.
Not worrying - just bitching about how it was “cheap” and not understanding it was clever. And, better.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 15th 2024, 7:32pm

Spoke with a cousin in the industry who believes SWATCH is tight lipped about the Silizium material because they have developed a method for hardening silicon via a tempering-like process to a consistency that would allow the material to be used for components like escapements. The advantages would be; durability, anti-magnetic properties, and therefore, better accuracy. According to my cousin, reps and brand managers do the Sergeant Schultz shuffle when asked about the stuff.

I suspect high-tech escarpments will show up in other ETA movements or those of SWATCH lux brands..

Silizium: A riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, surrounded by doubt., (Churchill), although not likely to be plastic.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “Swiss Watches”