Panerai Movement Scandal?

All things Swiss
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Panerai Movement Scandal?

Post by koimaster » January 4th 2022, 10:28am

“The new P.9200 caliber used in Panerai’s recently introduced chronograph family is a basic ETA 2892-A2 with Dubois Dépraz chronograph module,” pereszcope.com reports, kicking off the Panerai movement scandal. The problem? By giving the movement an “in house” Panerai designation, the Swiss-not-Italian watchmaker stands accused of misrepresenting a garden variety movement – and charging through the nose for it. For example . . .

the Panerai Luminor Chrono Goldtech™ Blu Notte at the top of the post runs $26,700. At the lower end of the range, the new steel cased Luminor Chronos (PAM01109, PAM01110, PAM01218 and PAM01303) go for as “little” as $9.4k.

ETA sells the movement powering the watch to manufacturers for $585 (or less) per piece. There’s nothing particularly wrong with the well-established “workhorse” movement, and the Dubois Dépraz chronograph module isn’t cheap. But the base movement is nothing special.

https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/2021/0 ... t-scandal/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
iwasbanned
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Panerai Movement Scandal?

Post by iwasbanned » January 4th 2022, 2:08pm

a good summary here: "A company working in the luxury sector cannot afford to be stupid. A large (the largest?) part of an upmarket watch brand’s appeal/sales comes down to the consumers’ perception of exclusivity."

it's a shame, they have great designs but they water them down with limited and special editions.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 4th 2022, 2:53pm

There's nothing new about manufactures designating supplied movements, modified or not, with their own caliber numbers. A large number of brands who do indeed make their movements still use supplied movements with their own caliber numbers in some models, but it's clear what's what, as the in-house calibers have unique designations; MTxxxx, Manufacture Tudor, or Bxx, Breitling, for example. The $26,000 Gold-Tech model referenced is gold (duh), which I suspect is primarily what Panerai is charging through the nose for, again like everyone else in watchmaking.

If Panerai had specifically referenced this movement as in-house, that would be a scandal. Nothing to see here other than a bunch of knuckleheads at some rag who know little or nothing about the traditions of watchmaking trying to create a scandal out of their ignorance.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » January 4th 2022, 2:55pm

3Flushes wrote:
January 4th 2022, 2:53pm
There's nothing new about manufactures designating supplied movements, modified or not, with their own caliber numbers. A large number of brands who do indeed make their movements still use supplied movements with their own caliber numbers in some models, but it's clear what's what, as the in-house calibers have unique designations; MTxxxx, Manufacture Tudor, or Bxx, Breitling, for example. The $26,000 Gold-Tech model referenced is gold (duh), which I suspect is primarily what Panerai is charging through the nose for, again like everyone else in watchmaking.

If Panerai had specifically referenced this movement as in-house, that would be a scandal. Nothing to see here other than a bunch of knuckleheads at some rag who know little or nothing about the traditions of watchmaking trying to create a scandal out of their ignorance.

did you read this: https://perezcope.com/2021/08/08/panera ... -of-worms/
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 4th 2022, 3:33pm

iwasbanned wrote:
January 4th 2022, 2:55pm
3Flushes wrote:
January 4th 2022, 2:53pm

did you read this: https://perezcope.com/2021/08/08/panera ... -of-worms/
I checked with someone - Panerai has changed some of their designations to 'P', however, if they did so with modified movements to create the illusion of them being in-house and still use the 'OP' mark, and if they blatantly lied about this movement being in-house, or designated it so because it was a collaboration in the modifications with a Glucador balance, Si springs or whatnot, as I noted, that is indeed fraud and I stand corrected.

Hard to believe they could be so damn stupid, especially using an open back in an effort to save gold and exposing their fraud, and Gold-Tech balls in the process. Another Brooklyn Bridge on their hands indeed. I look forward to the forthcoming hamina-hamina-hamina from Panerai.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » January 4th 2022, 7:10pm

Both my previous and current Panerai have beautifully decorated movements. The first was a 6487/98 variant. It had mass gold inlay and read Panerai approximately 800 times on the plates visible through the exhibition case back. My new watch is an automatic and looks nice.

I've had several Omega with modified movements. The 6498 variant in my Railmaster XXL for example, was based on ETA with many Omega specific parts including thr mainspring that increased the wind reserve for a couple extra days.

Same thing with Tudor. They are NOT just base ETA automatic movements in the pre-in-house movements.

Return to “Swiss Watches”