Shut Up & Read The Truth About Cartier Watches

All things Swiss
koimaster
Founder

Shut Up & Read The Truth About Cartier Watches

Post by koimaster » April 17th 2020, 12:11am

is what I often like to say to my fellow watch friends when they start again asking the same silly questions about Cartier.
It was 1983 or 1984 when I bought my first real watch; the Cartier Santos. That was, of course, the square watch in steel with yellow gold lunette and steel bracelet with yellow gold screws. It was hot like hell and became the most copied watch. It was also that watch that made me interested in the history of the brand since the dealer told me that the design was inspired from the first men’s wristwatch, launched by Cartier in 1904. So you can imagine that it did not take long before I became obsessed with watches in general, especially with Cartier.

At that time watch forums were just becoming popular, watch magazines were still rare and watch blogs like Fratello and Hodinkee did not exist yet. But what we had around in 1995, were the ‘Get Togethers’ with other watch enthusiasts (fanatics). These GTGs were organised by collectors themselves and were always quite amusing. Everyone brought a few pieces from their collection and with loads of beer and wine, we chatted about the various models until late in the evening. But always the same brands got all the attention and for me it was quite frustrating that one only paid attention to my Cartier watches, to be polite. The word ETA was always mentioned as if these were inferior movements and too often I heard quotes like; ‘my wife would love them!’

High-end Mechanical
Cartier was aware of the fact that men, interested in, let’s call them, ‘the better watches’, were more educated about timepieces, than the average Cartier client was and that these men were also more interested in the quality of the movements. That resulted in 1998 in the launch of the, at the male consumer targeted, ‘Collection Privée, Cartier Paris’ series. A collection of limited edition and limited produced watches, housed in Cartier’s classic cases like the Santos, Tank, Tortue, but more important, powered with high-end mechanical calibers made by famous watch brands, for Cartier.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/shut-up ... r-watches/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Shut Up & Read The Truth About Cartier Watches

Post by Thunder1 » April 17th 2020, 5:07pm

artman wrote:
April 17th 2020, 4:00pm
I'd buy the Santos if I could afford it. Beautiful watch. I drool over it every time I see in the Cartier shop.
I gave mine to my wife..just a couple of months ago I helped my wife's brothers wife buy a 'previously loved' Santos..they're available on the 'Bay for around $2,000 or so..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
koimaster
Founder

Re: Shut Up & Read The Truth About Cartier Watches

Post by koimaster » April 19th 2020, 11:11am

bbattle wrote:
April 19th 2020, 6:30am
They make some impressive watches. The author should just be happy with his collection and not give a fig about the other collectors in his group think. I'll bet he was that kid that wore Buster Brown shoes while the rest of us wore Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers.

I still have some PF flyers

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Swiss Watches”